IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kerridoxa Umbrellas

LilikoiLee

We purchased seven 5 gal Kerriodoxa after seeing a group of them in 2009 at Lundkvist Palm Garden Malama. I was smitten with the way you could walk under the huge ‘umbrella leaves’. Despite the fact that quite a few people told us they would not grow in Kona, we bought them anyway and are very glad that we did.

Because we wanted to create a ‘walk under’ group it took us a very long time to find a location in which we could dig seven holes but eventually we did. They are still not large enough to walk under (although a big dog or small kangaroo could), but we are still smitten with them. Out of the seven, one is much smaller than the others which I suspect is due to the roots from a tree on a neighbor’s property; but it is growing and looks healthy

Lee post-3412-0-69566000-1384137321_thumb.jp

PS: We have been told many times that we could not grow certain palms in our hotter and drier climate than Hilo has but have found this not to be true at least 90% of the time.

• Upvote 3

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Love, love, love this palm, and your photo shows why! I have 5 in the ground, still young, but growing nicely. At the top of my "favorites" list for sure, what with the white underside of the huge fans and the shiny almost black petioles, they are the closest to a "Designer Palm" as we'll ever get. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Love, love, love this palm, and your photo shows why! I have 5 in the ground, still young, but growing nicely. At the top of my "favorites" list for sure, what with the white underside of the huge fans and the shiny almost black petioles, they are the closest to a "Designer Palm" as we'll ever get. :)

'Designer Palm' is an apt way to describe them. So, is it raining at your house too? That's our excuse for spending the afternoon on PT! Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

It's not raining in San Diego, but it's dark. :)

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

It's breathtakingly gorgeous in Pahoa today. Full sunshine with some only some wispy clouds from 9-3, a little grayer but still very nice now.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

It's breathtakingly gorgeous in Pahoa today. Full sunshine with some only some wispy clouds from 9-3, a little grayer but still very nice now.

Hi Justin,

Didn't realize you were from BI. Afraid I don't pay much attention to members' locales. Are you from here or a transplant?

Seems that when one side gets rain the other doesn't. We're always very thankful for any rain we get. This year has been very rainy for the Kona side. Our palms are loving it and so are our are checking accounts - we spend a heck of a lot of money on water for our rainforest palms.

I'd like to know what you're growing. Hope it's on your member profile. If not, would you please send me a PM about it?

Lee

I'll have to go back and check your posts to see what you're growning.

Lee

It's not raining in San Diego, but it's dark. :)

Don't you have a head lamp so you can plant in the dark? That's what a lot of people recommeded I get when Mike posted that picture of me planting in the dark. Al in Kona even called to tell me they had them at Costco.

Seriously, are you still doing any planting in San Diego? There must be some lovelies that don't do well here. Sounds like the best of two worlds.

Lee

Lee

Hi Justin,

Didn't realize you were from BI. Afraid I don't pay much attention to members' locales. Are you from here or a transplant?

Seems that when one side gets rain the other doesn't. We're always very thankful for any rain we get. This year has been very rainy for the Kona side. Our palms are loving it and so are our are checking accounts - we spend a heck of a lot of money on water for our rainforest palms.

I'd like to know what you're growing. Hope it's on your member profile. If not, would you please send me a PM about it?

Lee

I'll have to go back and check your posts to see what you're growning.

Lee, because it was such a nice day today, I took a bunch of photos. They are uploading now, and once done, I'll post them here. I go back and forth between here and the mainland, with more trips to here in the winter and spring. I'm growing a bit of everything, and have a new lot of pristine of rainforest that I've been hand-clearing to plant a bunch more stuff. Today I cleared some space for two bamboo varieties that I was too petrified to plant on the lot with my house - Dendrocalamus giganteus and Dendrocalamus asper 'Hitam.'

If you're ever out this way, make sure to stop by.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

I too fell in love with Kerriodoxa after seeing them at Nong Nooch earlier this year.

Needless to say, I managed to procure a small one for my garden in Vietnam.

However, it will be a good few years before I can walk under it :)

post-6682-0-67858500-1384141647_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Nick C - Living it up in tropical 'Nam....

PHZ - 13

10°.57'N - 106°.50'E

Kerridoxa are by far one of my favorites. Bright white underside on a long black petiole is just asking to be stared at. Taking a walk through a large clump would be fantastic. I plan on creating a seating area with my 3 although it will be a very long time before they are large enough to sit under. For now sit beside will have to do

Ah, I recognize that planting in Nong Nooch! Nice shot, PalmnutVN.

Lee, I have changed locations in San Diego, new home bought in April. (New to me that is -- built 1941.) It has a very, very small garden, sort of the opposite of acreage in Hawaii. I enjoy it for what it is, and I enjoy Leilani for what it is. My headlamp is used for hiking in the dark. ;) I seriously cannot imagine planting palms in the dark! :mrlooney: For sure I would twist an ankle or step in a lava tree hole and break a few bones. The terrain is so rough, and I have those lava tree holes all over the property.

Kim Cyr

Lee, looks like those are really ready to take off. Mine languished for a couple of years and I was beginning to wonder why they were so slow it seemed

like suspended animation. I even marked a stake to see if they were growing or shrinking. Then all of a sudden they started showing significant growth and are looking better and better.

Planted these three as 2 gals. back in mid '08. Being able to walk under them sounds pretty cool.

Lee, send Mike over to Kim's to plant some stuff in the dark, that guy is a warrior.

Tim

post-1300-0-96745100-1384157264_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Lee (and George and Tim), great to see your happy Kerriodoxas.:) This is indeed one of my favorite palms, and the irony being that when the nursery was being liquidated, we sold every single Kerriodoxa (yes, they were very popular) and there were quite a few. And I might add, they had all been germinated from one of my own Kerriodoxas. So I don't have any in my new garden. May have to make a trip up to Floribunda - or simply walk over to Kim's place and enjoy hers! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Beautiful palms! I have 3 in shade and one maybe in partial shade. It sounds like they can take more sun than I knew. One was in the first group of little palms we bought. I should make room for more of these I think.

Cindy Adair

Lee, I don't have one of these beautiful palms in our garden yet and since you have too many in your garden could I have one of them please and ask Mike if he'd mind coming over with his O`O bar (which I'm sure he carries around with him most of the time anyway - isn't it kinda like a security blanket for him?).

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Lee,

I love this idea of Kerriodoxa umbrellas ! It reminds me pictures of a lovely hawaiian garden with Kerriodoxa valley (a thread on Palmtalk some years ago, nice to read!)

Here is our lonely Kerriodoxa, 2 years old, (we must find brothers for him)

Thank you for posting.

Regards

Philippe

post-6735-0-89542500-1384202822_thumb.jp

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

... It reminds me pictures of a lovely hawaiian garden with Kerriodoxa valley (a thread on Palmtalk some years ago, nice to read!)...

The Kerriodoxa valley is in Bo's former garden - clearly an inspiration for many of us - only thing more amazing than seeing the photos of it is actually having had a chance to walk through it - gmp

• Upvote 1

I would venture to say that these palms are in my top 10. I will have the opportunity to have those massive fronds in SoCal.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I normally don't post photos from my first garden, but I'll make an exception this one time. :) Two views from what I named "Kerriodoxa Valley". I planted a total of 22 Kerriodoxas in this one area.

post-22-0-90140900-1384225121_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-32377600-1384225126_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Here's another Kerriodoxa valley, from Khao Phra Taew National Park in Thailand.

kerriodoxa.jpg

• Upvote 2

I love them, too.

Which is why I have 4 in the ground. Hope I'm not sentencing them to death. So far so good.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

:greenthumb: ITS IN MY TOP 5 FAVES I HAVE ONE THAT JUST GOT ITS 1ST TRUE LEAF I HOPE IT LOOKS AS GOOD AS MATTY B'S SOME DAY I MUST PLANT MORE SOON

Seems like we've got a Kerriodoxa fan club in the making!

Thanks, everyone for showing yours. I never get tired of looking at pictures of them even though we have some of our own.

Lee

• Upvote 1

Lee

Lee,

I love this idea of Kerriodoxa umbrellas ! It reminds me pictures of a lovely hawaiian garden with Kerriodoxa valley (a thread on Palmtalk some years ago, nice to read!)

Here is our lonely Kerriodoxa, 2 years old, (we must find brothers for him)

Thank you for posting.

Regards

Philippe

attachicon.gifP1000367 copie.JPG

Aloha Philippe,

Yours must be very happy in Sri Lanka.

I notice yours looks different than ours: in that it has smaller fronds under the large top ones. Hopefully someone can explain this for me.

I have been meaning to ask you who takes care of your plants when your are Switzerland. Or, is the weather so perfect that they just take care of themselves?

Lee

Lee,

Actually this Kerriodoxa was a baby given by Thabit Suby, our friend close to Colombo.

The size of the leaves start to change and maybe the half shady situation makes longer petioles but I was afraid it could burn in a more sunny place.

We NEVER water the gardens (only the new planting in the following week if the weather is exceptionally dry) and we weed (Kasun and his family, not me) all garden before I arrive. (I like to see the weeds in other's garden and Palmtalk threads... sometimes we have the same species!)

It's very organic gardening because the weeds are used as mulch under the palms.

Most of the time, when I am gardening there, (I think you have the same situation in Hawaii) we have bright blue sky from ehe morning until 3 or 4 PM and rain start at 5 PM, stops for us going out for dinner and start again after 10 PM. Nice Program!

Kindest regards

Philippe

Philippe

Paul and Bo staying dry under the umbrellas

post-126-0-54936700-1384380591_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Our nephew's first introduction to the world of palms was a visit to the Lundkvist garden on a very rainy afternoon. Bo was undaunted, passed out umbrellas and off we went. My nephew was a little overwhelmed with all that he saw, but he came away with 2 very strong memories. One was having seen a "walking palm" and the other was standing right in that very spot under those magnificent, towering Keriodoxa fronds fully protected from the rain. He told me that I need to get some of those for our place. It didn't take much convincing - we have 10, all Lundkvist offspring.

gmp

Strangely enough, these seem to take quite a bit of cold. There is one planted out at the University of Florida and it looks good and is slowly getting bigger. They don't seem to tolerate frost but seem to tolerate temps in the mid twenties (F) pretty well.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I normally don't post photos from my first garden, but I'll make an exception this one time. :) Two views from what I named "Kerriodoxa Valley". I planted a total of 22 Kerriodoxas in this one area.

Aloha Bo-Göran, Thanks for posting this picture. It is wonderful to see the area again. I still remember the awe I felt the first time Mike and I went down that trail. Lee

Lee

Lee,

Actually this Kerriodoxa was a baby given by Thabit Suby, our friend close to Colombo.

The size of the leaves start to change and maybe the half shady situation makes longer petioles but I was afraid it could burn in a more sunny place.

We NEVER water the gardens (only the new planting in the following week if the weather is exceptionally dry) and we weed (Kasun and his family, not me) all garden before I arrive. (I like to see the weeds in other's garden and Palmtalk threads... sometimes we have the same species!)

It's very organic gardening because the weeds are used as mulch under the palms.

Most of the time, when I am gardening there, (I think you have the same situation in Hawaii) we have bright blue sky from ehe morning until 3 or 4 PM and rain start at 5 PM, stops for us going out for dinner and start again after 10 PM. Nice Program!

Kindest regards

Philippe

Hi Philippe, I guess our Kerriodoxa were just older and bigger when we bought them.

You're right about the similarity in the weather, except unfortunately we usually only get shade and no rain in the afternoon.

Lee

Lee

Our nephew's first introduction to the world of palms was a visit to the Lundkvist garden on a very rainy afternoon. Bo was undaunted, passed out umbrellas and off we went. My nephew was a little overwhelmed with all that he saw, but he came away with 2 very strong memories. One was having seen a "walking palm" and the other was standing right in that very spot under those magnificent, towering Keriodoxa fronds fully protected from the rain. He told me that I need to get some of those for our place. It didn't take much convincing - we have 10, all Lundkvist offspring.

gmp

Hi George, A lot of good memories coming out of this post - including those red umbrellas! Lee

Lee

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the bump, need to add a few 'updated' photos. You all should too. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

need to add a few 'updated' photos. You all should too.

so: here our Kerriodoxa of the previous post in the Morning garden:

in august 2014

P1110655.thumb.JPG.a9db1928cacf561811c65

in april 2015

P1180794.thumb.JPG.8faa97bd8e268478baf12

in august 2015

P1230355.thumb.JPG.1e835803df075b5a35f9d

Philippe

7 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

need to add a few 'updated' photos. You all should too.

so: here our Kerriodoxa of the previous post in the Morning garden:

in august 2014

P1110655.thumb.JPG.a9db1928cacf561811c65

in april 2015

P1180794.thumb.JPG.8faa97bd8e268478baf12

in august 2015

P1230355.thumb.JPG.1e835803df075b5a35f9d

Looking real good Philippe. Soon you'll have a real nice umbrella to keep you dry during the Rainey season.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24