IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Vestiaria - Red, Orange and Yellow

LilikoiLee

We have enjoyed the pictures of everyone’s vestiarias. We got intrigued by these early on and were able to acquire them in three different colors. Can anyone tell us if there are a red and a maroon? Our two ‘red’ change colors….red, red-orange and maroon. We’ve seen pictures as well as live plants that are just maroon. Is
this a distinctly different color or just a variation of the red form?

post-3412-0-55589500-1380081045_thumb.jp

post-3412-0-08430700-1380081130_thumb.jp

post-3412-0-51537000-1380081210_thumb.jp

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Ooops! Didn't get the yellow one in there. Leepost-3412-0-83197200-1380081650_thumb.jp

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Lee,

These different variations in color are just that - variations between individuals. I germinated lots of vestiarias, and out of one and the same seedbatch I would get both the "standard" yellow and the maroon, as well as single trunked ones, doubles, triples, etc. From a maroon parent I would get roughly 70% maroon and the rest the standard yellow (which never opens with a maroon new frond). From a yellow parent there would be VERY few maroon seedlings. Usually 5% or less.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

We have orange and maroon in both single and clumping forms - whether yellow, orange, maroon, single or multiple, ya gotta love 'em all.

post-3609-0-00233700-1380095483_thumb.jp post-3609-0-82976500-1380095515_thumb.jp post-3609-0-00935000-1380095554_thumb.jp

gmp

Lee,u

These different variations in color are just that - variations between individuals. I germinated lots of vestiarias, and out of one and the same seedbatch I would get both the "standard" yellow and the maroon, as well as single trunked ones, doubles, triples, etc. From a maroon parent I would get roughly 70% maroon and the rest the standard yellow (which never opens with a maroon new frond). From a yellow parent there would be VERY few maroon seedlings. Usually 5% or less.

Bo-Göran

That's amazing! Are there are any other palms genera that do this sort of thing? Must be really frustrating to propagate them.

You didn't mention orange. Do the red/maroon also put out some orange seed? And to the orange palms put out some yellow seeds?

Lee

Lee

attachicon.gifHerminio Brothers nursery Brazil 2012 palmtalk.jpg

This is one of my favorite photos from the Brazil 2010 Biennial.

This is gorgeous - a pathway edged on both sides by orange vestiaria. Wish I could have been there to walk down it. Thank you very much for sharing it! Lee

Lee

We have orange and maroon in both single and clumping forms - whether yellow, orange, maroon, single or multiple, ya gotta love 'em all.

attachicon.gifA. vestiaria a.jpg attachicon.gifA. vestiaria b.jpg attachicon.gifA. vestiaria c.jpg

gmp

All so healthy and beautiful......Never met anyone who didn't love them! Lee

Lee

Honestly, i never get sick of photos like these. I'm on a small block and decided i'd only buy one of each species. Well now i have 3 vestiaras. I actually would consider getting another to be honest. They are just awesome

Another photo of that Areca vestiaria path was the inspiration for my own little Areca Avenue. Thanks so much for this even better photo and the other lovely posts too!

I agree that one can't have too many of these, so I also have one each of the different forms making this by far the most numerous of any species I have.

Cindy Adair

I've tried growing these from seed and I've never had much luck. I did get two seedlings but one died suddenly and the other one hasn't moved in a while.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Lee,

I probably should have said "orange" instead of "yellow", and whatever variation we are discussing, these are ALL one and the same palm genetically. In other words, from one parent you are likely to get all sorts of different variations with the offspring, be it color OR number of trunks. And definitely more color variations from a red/maroon parent than from an orange one. The maroon ones will open up with a maroon leaf from VERY early on. Like right away! :)

Bo-Göran

PS to Zeeth - if you havn't had much luck germinating these I have to assume that the seeds weren't all that fresh. Vestiaria seeds are among the easiest to germinate, and will in fact self germinate by the hundreds on the ground.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hey Lee, there is an A. vestiaria path in Kim's garden that's looking really great. I was at her neighbors house and trespassed to check them out. I could hear Bo somewhere in the back, I think he was coordinating the Tea house construction. Maybe we can get her to post another photo.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Lee,

Bo-Göran

Thanks for the clarification. The phenonomen is fascinating. Are there other palm genera that do the same thing?

Lee

Lee

Hey Lee, there is an A. vestiaria path in Kim's garden that's looking really great. I was at her neighbors house and trespassed to check them out. I could hear Bo somewhere in the back, I think he was coordinating the Tea house construction. Maybe we can get her to post another photo.

Tim

Thanks for the tip, Tim.

We recently walked down Bo-Goran's path (gorgeous, of course) but didn't venture into Kim's. Would love to see her path as well.

Lee

Lee

Another photo of that Areca vestiaria path was the inspiration for my own little Areca Avenue. Thanks so much for this even better photo and the other lovely posts too!

I agree that one can't have too many of these, so I also have one each of the different forms making this by far the most numerous of any species I have.

Cindy,

Were your vestiaria in 4" pots when you planted them? If so, how are they doing. In fact I'd be interest in hearing how all of your 4 inchers are doing.

Lee

Lee

Cindy,

Were your vestiaria in 4" pots when you planted them? If so, how are they doing. In fact I'd be interest in hearing how all of your 4 inchers are doing.

Lee

Yes. They are doing very well! They are the ones I photographed and posted in the last few days. I actually have a little video of the entire path from August, but haven't made the effort to get it onto Palmtalk yet.

4" pots typically do really well. I plant seedlings too directly in the ground, but I do lose a few of those since they are completely on their own once planted. No need for irrigation on my farm.

Cindy Adair