IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floridian scare #3

SubTropicRay

(PiousPalms @ Feb. 16 2007,13:34)

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 16 2007,13:26)

(PiousPalms @ Feb. 16 2007,13:25)

GO COVER YOUR GOODS!  IT ONLY TAKES A FEW MINUTES!

A few minutes when the "goods" are 4 ft tall :D

HAHAHA, No one will make fun of the 4' shade house today!  :cool:

Certainly not me!

I like the fortuitous location of the shade house near that hedge which is providing cover from prying eyes :P

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(Alicehunter2000 @ Feb. 16 2007,13:28)

Well it is really odd you folks to the south are getting that low. I had cloud cover till about 3 am and then it was clear skies. My temps only got to 33.5 F. it is possible that my yard might have gotten to the freezing point.........but I don't think so.

David,

I think what you might be forgetting is that your events are almost a day ahead of ours(not quite but close).

I only got down to 48.6 here in my yard last night!

Tonight will be our cold event! :(

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Larry,

I see one of those DOMED stadiums in your future,with a retractable ROOF! :;):

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

You guys remember.....that Robert Riffle did exactly that when he lived in Houston.  He built a giant greenhouse which covered the backyard.  That must have been a sight to see.

Larry 

Greenhouses RULE!!!...   I swear by them.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 16 2007,14:42)

Greenhouses RULE!!!...   I swear by them.

And your wife swears AT them (after getting your power bill)  :P

Do you know how many Dolce Gabbana's she could have in her closet if it werent for those damn palms and their greenhouses!?!?!

HAHAHAHHAHA!

Larry 

And your wife swears AT them (after getting your power bill)  

Do you know how many Dolce Gabbana's she could have in her closet if it werent for those damn palms and their greenhouses!?!?!

HAHAHAHHAHA!

SHHHHHHHH, Larry.... I never know when she'll "pop on" here and read this...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

I'll trade with anyone in this thread, except Bobby.  Here are the forecasts for Jax:

NWS - 28

Weather Channel - 26

WUND - 26

Accuweather - 24

So far the coldest night here in my yard is 30.2.  No matter what, I'm not planting any more zone 10 palms in my yard.  Anyone want purchase some potted Z10 stuff...cheap??

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Finally weather.com came to terms with tonight's low. They kept it at 34ºF all week long until sometime today when they lowered it down to 29ºF for Orlando and Sanford. Not too pretty, it can get many degrees lower in my open lawn. Back to reality, back to 9b!

Better rush home...

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Guess I'll switch to this thread to do my worrying..

Latest forcast roundup for 33570. Still sucks...

NWS: 32F with patchy frost

Wund: 34F

TWC:  37F

Accu:  36F

Seems that it is pretty windy right now. Only logged a high of 54.3F on my weather station today and it is currently 52.5F at 4:30pm. Wind seems to be hanging out around 9 to 15 mph from the NW with some higher gusts. NW winds are pretty good for me. I hope they stick around through the night. Only problem is that I don't think I will  be able to successfully cover anything with the winds that strong. Guess it is a tradeoff.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I'll trade with anyone in this thread, except Bobby.  Here are the forecasts for Jax:

But Keith..... there are parts of my yard that won't fall below 60 tonight :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 16 2007,13:30)

(Alicehunter2000 @ Feb. 16 2007,13:28)

Are you all sure it's going to be that cold down there?

If I was sure, Id be selling my wares to Accuweather

<insert Dr. Evil voice with pinky in mouth>

.....for ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

:laugh:  :laugh:

Spock shouldn't you be using this Emoticon  ???  and say something like "Facinating" or "Sounds Logical"

Anyway my mood is good.........The local forcast has radically changed for my area, winds will be switching from the north to the west around midnight tonight  :D  :D  Temps will not be freezing!

Oh, and last year we had a Zone 10a winter as well. Not sure about previous years as I was not much into palms back then, but I can remember some warm winters past.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Getting real cold down here. 53.1F and falling.  :(

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Well, I'm not going to cover anything tonight as the wind is too strong and it blows the sheets away. Anyway, even if the sheets stayed, they wouldn't do too much good with the wind blowing this hard at the heat is blown right away that they would trap. If this wind goes calm in the wee hours of the morning, I am screwed. I will be keeping the camera on ready to capture any frost or immediate damage that may be apparent in the morning.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Coldest part of my yard is at 48F and has been holding for a bit. Nothing is covered, but I am not expecting much.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

But Keith..... there are parts of my yard that won't fall below 60 tonight  

Bobby, I wrapped and lit so I hope there are a few places in my yard that stay above freezing too.  However, none will be 60!  I've grown palms in cold climates too.  (I don't really think of Jax as cold.)  I remember losing a large S. palmetto when the temp dropped to -14 and the heat failed (i.e Dad unpluged the heat tape).  That was back in the St Louis area.  I hope I never see a -14 temp at my home ever again!

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

TWC: 29

Accu:  32

NWS: 34

Wund: 33

It's CRAZY windy right now. It feels WAY colder than it is. It's about 46-7ish right now, but, I swear it feels like -100. I'm still in the upper portion of 10b [38F for a record low a few weeks ago] for this winter..I'm hoping to KEEP it like that.

It's 9:00pm here at the house(5 minutes from my nursery) and my two different readings on the therm. is 58 and 59F. It was 60 at 7:00pm earlier. So not much change in two hours, thats a good sign. I think it will not be as bad as they were saying early this morning. Early this morning, they were forcasting around 32 for a morning low in western Broward county.( For Saturday). Keep our fingers cross!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

9:03pm and now 50.9F.

New predictions:

Weather.com 37F

NWS 34F

Accuweather 36F

Wunderground 43F

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Just said on channel 13 that they're expecting more wind than previously thought. Our low was bumped up to 34. ..It IS pretty darn windy. BRRRR.

Jen,

I'm with you. It really does feel like -100 outside. Can't stand this kind of cold and can't wait for summer to return. Bring on the heat! Got a fire going in the fireplace so at least the living room is toasty.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Forecasts still the same for 34689---

NWS - 36F

Weather.com - 35F

Weatherunderground.com - 32F

Accuweather.com - 39F

Here is weatherunderground.com's writeup (they have given the most specific forecast)----

Clear and cold. Patchy frost after midnight north of Tampa Road and east of Highway 19. Lows in the mid 30s northeast portion...35 to 40 elsewhere except lower 40s in urban centers and along exposed shorelines. Northwest winds 10 to 15 diminishing to north around 5 mph after midnight.

Larry 

At this point, I have protected nothing and am letting it all ride it out.  I am curious how my Prichardia (which seems to be the most cold sensitive palm in my yard) will fare if the temps get down to 34-35F (or perhaps less).

Larry 

Mmhmm. Sitting outside at a high school baseball game about made my nose, ears, and butt fall off!! I was practically one large numb-thing. It was MISERABLE! We got a nice toasty fire while watching the NASCAR Craftsman truck race. :D  I'm still kinda worried, I want to keep 10b! At least by the middle of next week, it's back to the 80s. :) That's ONE good thing about Floridian winters.

Unfortunately, the winds seems to be dying off over here and whats left of them are slowly moving more N from NW.

Currently 45.3F at 922PM with a 27.3F dewpoint.

Larry 

Balm and Dover FAWN stations both at 39 right now. Balm is only about 7 or 8 miles to the east northeast of me. Low 30's and upper 20's in the panhandle right now at FAWN stations. Hard freeze up there tonight. My weather station is holding on at 47.3F at the time of this post. Incredible the difference it makes with the wind blowing over Tampa Bay. Balm is out of Tampa Bay's wind swath right now and is suffering. Man, I hope this northwest wind stays up tonight....

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I made a great discovery!! On the NWS website, you can actually click on a part of the map, like where you live for example, and you get your actual little area's forcast. Dr. Phillips area is supposed to be 33 [so far, NWS has been the most accurate, so I'm trusting them].

Larry,

Winds have died down quite a bit here as well. Hope your Pritchardia comes through O.K. What are the lowest temps it has been through?

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 16 2007,21:43)

Does anyone have clouds? I have a few hanging around. Maybe about 20% coverage of sky right now.

Bill,

Crystal clear dark sky with a zillion twinkling stars here. This is not good.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 16 2007,21:43)

Does anyone have clouds? I have a few hanging around. Maybe about 20% coverage of sky right now.

Bill--

It doesnt look like theres much waiting in the Gulf to help us tonight----

http://goes.gsfc.nasa.gov/goes_co....est.mov

Larry 

Brooksville FAWN is officially below freezing at 31F now...

Temp droping like a rock here now as the wind has calmed considerably. Yuk :(

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ZoneTenNut @ Feb. 16 2007,21:36)

. Hope your Pritchardia comes through O.K. What are the lowest temps it has been through?

34F last February, but it was covered and had mini-Christmas lights for some extra heat.

Unprotected it has seen 39F and fared fine.  It has some light spotting, but this seems to happen with winter's cooler temps rather than one nights cold.  And, the spotting wouldnt even be noticed unless someone knew what to look for.

Just a guess...but I actually think this palm will be fine as long as we dont go below about 35F.  heck, maybe it would be OK even lower.  There is only one way to find out and I am feeling brazen.

Larry 

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 16 2007,21:47)

Temp droping like a rock here now as the wind has calmed considerably. Yuk :(

Same here Bill...winds dying right off.  

This could get interesting!

Larry 

Hmm.. I am debating whether or not I should go out and cover a few things with sheets now that the wind won't blow them into my neighbor's yard ???

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Dewpoint is around 34.4 right now at my house. What were dewpoints like during the big Frost last year in Feb? I may be in for a wicked frosting tonight.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 16 2007,21:56)

What were dewpoints like during the big Frost last year in Feb?

Over here in north Pinellas, they were in the 30-35F range.

Larry 

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 16 2007,21:52)

Hmm.. I am debating whether or not I should go out and cover a few things with sheets now that the wind won't blow them into my neighbor's yard ???

Ahh....dont give in Bill!  Let em ride!

LOL.

In the past I have been overly protective and now I have done a 180  :D

If our plants cant take what will likely be a very mild extreme cold event (even if the temp drops between 30-35F, in reality its still pretty mild as an extreme event for this area), then I am now of the opinion that these plants will be more trouble than they are worth!

Plus, I think that many of these palms can take more cold than I thought previously.

Of course, I may be proven completely wrong by 7AM topmorrow  :D

Larry