IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Spring!!!

NApalm

Blowing a gale at the moment from the east. Real dessicating winds. :(

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The weather has warmed up now. Completely different to a week ago.

Mon 15-30

Tue 17-33

Wed 20-35

Thu 16-26

Fri 15-28

Sat 14-31

Sun 16-33

The coconut is powering away again.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Finally!!! The sound of steady rain. BOO YEAHHHH

I think your getting more than me but I'm certainly not complaining, it's very nice to see and hear the rain!! Hopefully it will be a bit more consistent for a few months now????

No wonder I felt hot today. 37.2C

Looking forward to flying back to Perth in the next couple of days, the weather looks like it has dramatically improved since I've been gone.

Up in Karratha we are heading for a top today of 40c, that's the norm for this time of year. We are having plenty of frogs coming up through the toilet and there is a few Bungarras hanging around camp at the moment.

A Low will be ontop of us here in Far Nth NSW and SE Qld by the Wkend , 2 days of rain would be welcome to start the wet :)

post-5709-0-19823700-1383616382.jpg

Could do with some rain here. The wet season is really dragging the chain this year (as it did last year). Average maximum for month of October was 39.0, so far this November it's 39.2 and not looking like dropping any time soon.

Be lovely if these charts below for Sun,Mon Tues are right, above 40mm for each day. Palms are waiting patiently to be planted :)

post-5709-0-67403400-1383989480_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-53089000-1383989482_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-31305100-1383989484_thumb.jp

The warm weather has kicked in here in Perth, the days have been great, down the beach today, forgot what that was like.

We won't get much rain for a long while now, the bore will be in overdrive for the next 5 or 6 months.

Wow, some serious storms about in SE QLD today. Apparently 60000 lightning strikes in the last 24 hrs around QLD. We missed this afternoon's storm and only got a light sprinkle of rain unfortunately..but there's another one on the way...

I hope that storm that hit Logan today didn't get any of our member's gardens...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

2mm here..hopefully the next round will be better!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Just got back from Darwin. Wednesday night was just awesome with an explosive thunderstorm and 80mm of rain. You can't be oblivious to the weather in the NT. It's so in your face. Almost every day has had an afternoon or evening thunderstorm for the last week, although last night had no thunder or rain just plenty of humidity so that it looked like it had actually rained in the morning. Once the sun comes up the humidity goes stratospheric. Looking at the radar now and more thunderstorms are closing in on Darwin from the east.

Here in Perth it's much more subdued. It's warm but the humidity is much lower and easier to take. The frogs are singing in the garden and fans are running flat out tonight. So far the average max temp for this Nov is 30C, about 4C above average. Looks like some thunderstorms moving in from the north in a big band which stretches from the east coast through the top end tropics and down the west coast on Friday Saturday, but it's too far out to get ones hopes up. I'll believe it when I see it.

158mm in the past week to end the drought.. but "yesterdays hail" is the most Ive ever seen here , rain was very very heavy at the same time which helped and glad the hail was pea size.

Our valley received the heaviest rain and certainly the "most hail", neighbouring valleys had one quarter the rain we had and very little hail.

"Thats life", bye for now, cleaning up to do Pete :)

post-5709-0-64809800-1384817221_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-31717800-1384817243_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-35372900-1384817272_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-42362600-1384817293_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-66019200-1384817319_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-20316400-1384817345_thumb.jp

Wow, that's serious hail. Hopefully it didn't shred your palms too much.

Daryl

Just got back from Darwin. Wednesday night was just awesome with an explosive thunderstorm and 80mm of rain. You can't be oblivious to the weather in the NT. It's so in your face. Almost every day has had an afternoon or evening thunderstorm for the last week, although last night had no thunder or rain just plenty of humidity so that it looked like it had actually rained in the morning. Once the sun comes up the humidity goes stratospheric. Looking at the radar now and more thunderstorms are closing in on Darwin from the east.

Here in Perth it's much more subdued. It's warm but the humidity is much lower and easier to take. The frogs are singing in the garden and fans are running flat out tonight. So far the average max temp for this Nov is 30C, about 4C above average. Looks like some thunderstorms moving in from the north in a big band which stretches from the east coast through the top end tropics and down the west coast on Friday Saturday, but it's too far out to get ones hopes up. I'll believe it when I see it.

So you missed the hot weather Tyrone, those storms cooled things off. My average maximum for November has now dropped down to 38. Good to have the rain. And looks like a lot more coming. A low has formed NE of Christmas Is and might be visiting us or the Kimberley this weekend as a cyclone. Whichever, it should mean a lot of rain.

So you missed the hot weather Tyrone, those storms cooled things off. My average maximum for November has now dropped down to 38. Good to have the rain. And looks like a lot more coming. A low has formed NE of Christmas Is and might be visiting us or the Kimberley this weekend as a cyclone. Whichever, it should mean a lot of rain.

We were there a few days before the storms started, but we were in the CBD, so not as hot as inland. The first few days I was looking at the forming clouds hoping for some rain. Actually I found the afternoon heat easier to take out at Coolalinga than in the CBD. We had a little weather station where we were staying and the afternoon RH dropped down to around 30% when it got up to around 35C before the afternoon storms started. That's like a humid February day in Perth for us, so it was hot, but OK. Being near a pool and under a fan with a beer probably helped too. :)

That low looks like the monsoon is just around the corner. Long range forecast is not saying it will form into a cyclone and that it will sit off the Kimberley coast, but who knows, maybe it will be an early cyclone.

158mm in the past week to end the drought.. but "yesterdays hail" is the most Ive ever seen here , rain was very very heavy at the same time which helped and glad the hail was pea size.

Our valley received the heaviest rain and certainly the "most hail", neighbouring valleys had one quarter the rain we had and very little hail.

"Thats life", bye for now, cleaning up to do Pete :)

Scary pictures Pete. I hope everything got through it OK.

We were there a few days before the storms started, but we were in the CBD, so not as hot as inland. The first few days I was looking at the forming clouds hoping for some rain. Actually I found the afternoon heat easier to take out at Coolalinga than in the CBD. We had a little weather station where we were staying and the afternoon RH dropped down to around 30% when it got up to around 35C before the afternoon storms started. That's like a humid February day in Perth for us, so it was hot, but OK. Being near a pool and under a fan with a beer probably helped too. :)

That low looks like the monsoon is just around the corner. Long range forecast is not saying it will form into a cyclone and that it will sit off the Kimberley coast, but who knows, maybe it will be an early cyclone.

The possibility of a cyclone has now been upgraded to moderate over the weekend. Looks like it's lining up to pass north of the Kimberley coast. It'll be enjoying the sea surface temperatures, 31 now. The last few days the weather has looked very monsoonal but BOM insist it isn't. I can see their logic. Once this low passes there is a possibility of monsoon, although the high in the Bight might have more to say on that.

Darwin CBD is almost surrounded by water, but with all the buildings, concrete and bitumen the heat goes straight into the air forming hot spots where buildings block the breeze.

BOM has upgraded the possibility of the low in the Indian Ocean developing into a tropical cyclone to high for Saturday and Sunday. There's a cyclone watch been issued for the Kimberley coast from Beagle Bay to Wyndham. Current indications are the system will track eastwards north of the Kimberley coast. By Monday afternoon (24 November) it's expected to be about 330 kms west south west of Darwin.

BOM has upgraded the possibility of the low in the Indian Ocean developing into a tropical cyclone to high for Saturday and Sunday. There's a cyclone watch been issued for the Kimberley coast from Beagle Bay to Wyndham. Current indications are the system will track eastwards north of the Kimberley coast. By Monday afternoon (24 November) it's expected to be about 330 kms west south west of Darwin.

That's an early one if it does. The amount of cloud in the Indian Ocean at present looks impressive.

The system is expected to develop into a tropical cyclone (if it does, will be named Alessia) early hours tomorrow (Saturday) and be a cat 2 by Sunday. However, further on from there wind shear increases so despite very favourable sea surface temperatures it should weaken before crossing the coast near Channel Point, about 110 kms south west of Darwin.

At least it will weaken before it hits major population centres and just drop a good drenching of rain for you guys up there, all going well. :)

To all above, if I didn't have steep shade cloth in areas to protect "special palms" they would have been smashed, the rainforest certainly protected the house palms but some with canopy got shredded but they are alive, ( Basselinia eriostachys)

A Dypsis out in the open which was badly shredded beside all other undamaged Dypsis was Carlsmithii which with its thin leaflets was a big surprise.

Pigafetta is very very grated but it has a huge new spear.

All is good and certainly nil to complain about, the drought has broken and my thoughts are on the Philippines

Pete :)

Tropical Cyclone Alessia formed over night and is tracking for the Kimberley coast near Mitchell Plateau. It's expected to track along the north coast and into Joseph Boneparte Gulf before impacting the Northern Territory west coast just north of Wadeye.

The cyclone warning now extends from Kuri Bay to the WA/NT border in WA, and from the WA/NT border to Point Stuart and the Tiwi Islands in the NT. TC Alessia is moving at 20 kph and is just off the coast near the Mitchell Plateau. It's more likely to weaken now rather than to intensify.

TC Alessia is now off the coast near Kulumburu. It's expected to cross the NT coast in the early hours tomorrow (Monday) about 100 kms southwest of Darwin.

BOM has Alessia crossing the coast at about 11pm tonight, gales are supposed to start 9pm. We're getting the rain bands now, so it's a bit off and on. Although, we've also been getting gravity waves from the system over the last couple of days so there's been a fair bit of rain around. No where near as much at my place as some others have been getting. The system's supposed to go to the base of the Top End and by Wednesday be heading back towards us. Since Alessia has brought in the monsoon, looks like Alessia (as a tropical low) and the monsoon will be hanging around for a while. Flood warnings are being issued.

On Friday we had thunderstorms just graze the eastern side of the city and go south. We drove down to Albany on Friday night and chased the storms south, then went through them and got down to Albany who had had steady rain all day. One big downpour midway through the trip. It's kind of fun chasing weather. :)

Peter, I hope your shredded stuff pulls through OK. Here's hoping for a warm, moist gentle wet season for your garden. :)

Although Alessia has made one dramatic entrance and moved on, it can't be written off just yet. At the moment it's over Groote Island in the Gulf of Carpentaria but is expected to make it's way back over the Top End. After a bit of a jaunt around the Top End it's expected to reach the Timor Sea again where it'll intensify into a tropical cyclone early next week.

On Friday we had thunderstorms just graze the eastern side of the city and go south. We drove down to Albany on Friday night and chased the storms south, then went through them and got down to Albany who had had steady rain all day. One big downpour midway through the trip. It's kind of fun chasing weather. :)

Peter, I hope your shredded stuff pulls through OK. Here's hoping for a warm, moist gentle wet season for your garden. :)

Thanks Tyrone, all will be good, its hard "not to see all the shredded leaves though" :)

Been enjoying the very warm spring after all the wet cool years, looking fwd to Summers arrival on Sunday..

All the best with your move to Albany, great location to grow all the stunning WA Banksia's and all the Palms youve mentioned.

Pete :)