IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Spring!!!

NApalm

post-6412-0-61051700-1381125893_thumb.jp

This wasn't much fun today!! I hope the rain symbol for tomorrow is correct... but I will very surprised to see any rain tomorrow??

The first 2 numbers indicate high temps with low humidity, palm cooking weather??

attachicon.gifphoto (55).JPG

This wasn't much fun today!! I hope the rain symbol for tomorrow is correct... but I will very surprised to see any rain tomorrow??

The first 2 numbers indicate high temps with low humidity, palm cooking weather??

You're experiencing a Perth summer. Time to get the water out and splash it around.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Yeah, not fun here at the moment. It is giving great weight to my auto sprinkler system plea. Im spending alot of time outside with hose in hand and the boss is left with the kids. What are ya gonna do? Gotta keep those plants alive! HAHA

Pete

"
Decided to give up on Archonphoenix, for me they grow quick, but just look shredded, TassieTroys are looking better than mine "

Pete mine are currently shredded ! :bemused:

Hope you enjoyed the tropics

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

It's raining again. "Hello winter. Isn't it time you left."

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone, have some friends holidaying down near Bunbury now. They said they saw a penguin swimming off shore. Other than that they were the only ones at the beach.

Continuing hot and dry here. Did a bit of a check of my weather station. Average maximum temp for September was 38.3, and the average for October is 39.9 so far. There is a possibility of rain on Monday, but generally there's too much dry air above us. Anything coming in with the sea breezes is sucked up into oblivion.

What spring ? Here we went from winter straight to summer !! The jacarandas normally flower here in mid november started in mid september this year. Now the flame trees are starting to bloom too. Filthy heat here, in the 30's most days, high 30s quite often. UGH ! Not a drop of rain either even though there were a few storm clouds around. I just live on a 600 sq metre dried arrangement at the moment.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

What spring ? Here we went from winter straight to summer !! The jacarandas normally flower here in mid november started in mid september this year. Now the flame trees are starting to bloom too. Filthy heat here, in the 30's most days, high 30s quite often. UGH ! Not a drop of rain either even though there were a few storm clouds around. I just live on a 600 sq metre dried arrangement at the moment.

Peachy

Take out that hose and spray it! Peachy where have you been? I miss hearing from you...

No Jacaranda flowers here yet. They're late.

We've already exceeded our average yearly rainfall. A couple of dams are overflowing.

Peachy, I can relate to your "What Spring?" Quote, except we went straight from Winter to Winter. Next weekend in Secret Harbour we are expecting maximums of 17c for Saturday and Sunday.

Peachy, don't you wish you were back in Gove instead of stuck in Brisbane complaining about the miserable weather there.

Peachy, I can relate to your "What Spring?" Quote, except we went straight from Winter to Winter. Next weekend in Secret Harbour we are expecting maximums of 17c for Saturday and Sunday.

That's the last of the rubbish for this year by the looks of it.

The lack of rain is starting wear a bit thin now...the temperatures are fine though!

It has only rained on one day since July...Spring is our dry period, but this is ridiculous!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It looks like the torture is finally coming to an end! Perth has a couple of days of 26c next week.

I don't remember such a long cold period, we normally start having some warm weather around Royal Show time, which has been and gone a couple of weeks ago.

We've finally started getting storms and temps are only getting to about 36 to 38 now with cloud cover. Here's some links to photos taken by some of the locals last night.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

We've finally started getting storms and temps are only getting to about 36 to 38 now with cloud cover. Here's some links to photos taken by some of the locals last night.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Very speccy indeed. I can't wait to see them myself in about 3 weeks.

On Monday a high looks like moving into the vicinity of the Bight instead of sitting out off the west coast. More of a summer pattern instead of a winter "hang off the coast and let us get battered by westerly winds and rain" pattern.

I'm just doing a job at a garden that I installed a tropical garden a few years back with a big Jacaranda in it. The Jacaranda loses it's leaves in the cool weather letting the light through. Normally by now it's full of bloom. At present it looks almost dead with not a leaf until you get right up close and can see the tiny new growth. I'm hoping that it gets it's act together quickly and provides more canopy as the tender stuff underneath may get fried when the heat returns soon. The UV is up but the heat isn't yet.

Back to highs in the teens tomorrow. Normally by now any max's in the teens would be long gone, not to be seen again at all until about May. Rain looks like it's back again too.

Oops. I was wrong. Revised forecast says 20C tomorrow and 3-8mm of rain.

It's raining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWWW YEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! I forgot what that sound was. I went upstairs thinking it was the fan!

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Very speccy indeed. I can't wait to see them myself in about 3 weeks.

Tyrone, from last night, some more of what you'll see.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Was down in Albany on the weekend. The rain started on Friday night and didn't stop until Sunday morning. On Saturday the temperature hovered around 11C!!!!!! Sunday was barely warmer at around 13-14C. Got back to Perth last night around 8pm and it was a balmy 16C.

We had a couple of drops of wet stuff last night but otherwise it is crispy dry here..........This time I am not going to say "Rain, what is that???".........Last time I said that we got 1200mm in 3 days !!!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Whoa!!! 1200mm? I first read it as 120mm. Thats nuts.

I dont want to hype this up too much for my fellow se qlders, but the ever so accurate bom are talking of not 'a few showers' but 'a few storms and showers as of thurs!!! And even the days after are meant to be wet! Im a little excited

We've had a couple of nice warm days, the nights are pretty cold, but beggars can't be chooses!

I think the dodgy weather is now gone and some nice warm weather is just around the corner.

32C and thunderstorms on Thursday. The weather has now switched like someone has just flicked that switch.

Cancel that. Revised back to showers, chance of storm. Knew it was too good to be true

Believe it when you see is my philosophy!! It has to appen before too long........

34C next Wednesday. The leafless Jacarandas wont know what's going on.

Peter, nice garden. The close proximity to the cold ocean winds have hurt your Carpy. Further inland away from the salty cold gales, they seem to do better. There are a few around the place which grow nicely and fruit. In South Perth there is even an Adonidia that is always flowering. Had to do a double take when I first saw it.

Tyrone, The Carpy is in the worst position possible for me, it takes the first hit of wind, I am in the process of replanting that section of the garden and planting Howea, Chatham and Hedyscepe(wink,wink). On my verge I have planted Phoenix Canariensis and when they grow a little more, will help to block some wind. For the moment the Carpy stays, it will look good in a couple of months.

post-6144-0-71153400-1382552790_thumb.jp

I replaced a double planted Bangalow with these 2 Howea, the Bangalows were torn to pieces. These Howea were bought from Tonys Nursery at $80 a pop, a little neglected, but a bargain!

Howeas rule along the coast. Would love to plant a Howea forest one day.