IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HOA Loses Lawsuit Against Duval County Couple For FFL Yard!

_Keith

http://greenflbroker.com/2013/08/07/hoa-loses-lawsuit-against-duval-county-couple-for-ffl-yard/

HOA Loses Lawsuit Against Duval County Couple For FFL Yard!

Earlier this week a Duval County Judge ruled in favor of a Duval couple who had installed new landscaping following the 8 principles of Florida Friendly Landscapes (FFL). Several years ago Dr. and Mrs. Jules Sidle decided to replace their St. Augustine grass with a friendlier and drought tolerant landscape as their home sat on a lot that borders a small lake which drains directly into the Intracoastal Waterway in Jacksonville.

By eliminating the numerous fertilizer applications throughout the year and reducing their use of irrigation the Sidles felt they were helping the environment and water quality in their neighborhood. Hoping to encourage other homeowners to recognize their responsibility to protect such a precious natural resource, Dr. Sidle checked his HOA covenants and restrictions and filed an application in December, 2010, to remove his grass and replace it with numerous species of drought tolerant plants. After 30 days his application was deemed approved (as stated in his HOA CC&Rs) and Jules began the arduous task of eliminating the grass in phase one of his plan.

sidle-yard-6_1_13.jpg?w=500&h=373

My photo of Sidles’ yard taken June 1, 2013.

The HOA kept creating roadblocks for the Sidles with several more meetings with the ARB, requiring a FFL Gold certification and everything else they could think of. Of course the Sidles complied with every request and became the first Gold certified FFL yard in Duval County! Then in mid 2012 the HOA filed a lawsuit about the entire yard but later amended it to address the area between the sidewalk and street citing a covenant that states the homeowner must “maintain” the front strip between the sidewalk and street…covenants don’t say anything about “must be planted with St. Augustine grass”.

Mediation was scheduled. The mediator (a retired attorney in Gainesville) worked with the HOA attorney, the Sidles and their attorney in 2012 with both parties reaching an agreement. The HOA attorney called the HOA President with the outcome which he completely rejected even after giving their attorney complete representation.

So back on the road to a trial! Prior to the trial a hearing before the Judge was scheduled in early June, 2013, which I also attended. Of course nothing was decided at that hearing, both attorneys were heard, each providing case law and reasons for a ruling in his favor. Everyone waited and waited for the Judge’s ruling which finally came this week. The Judge ruled in favor of the Sidles on both counts: the Sidles had submitted their application pursuant to the Covenants and Restrictions, even though the Board asked for clarification at the February, 2011 Board meeting. Citing that clarification as a new application they still missed responding within 30 days of that so-called “new” application, and the application was again deemed approved after no response within the time frame. As the plan submitted originally showed the area between the sidewalk and street to be planted with a ground cover this was also deemed as acceptable in the ruling.

Should anyone need to cite this court case for their own lawsuit, the Fourth Judicial Circuit Duval County Case number is: 16-2012-CC-007430, Division CC-N. Coincidentally the HOA has now posted rules as to what they will allow homeowners incorporating FFL principles into their landscapes. It does state the area between the sidewalk and street must be planted with grass.

Thank you to Susan and Jules Sidle and all the rest who have helped uphold the Florida Statutes addressing Florida Friendly Landscape principles with drought tolerant yards and have made our water a little safer! Each one of these cases will hopefully make it easier for the next homeowner who is intimidated by their HOA Board when applying to install a FFL yard..

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Moving into a subdivision with a HOA is not for all (or me) so beware.

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

The folks who run these HOA's probably get their media fill from Jerry Springer.

Great story with a great ending!

Oh, yes.

HOAs again!

There's a provision of the California Civil Code that provides you can install solar panels on your house, even if your HOA say no.

Civil Code § 714 provides:

(a) Any covenant, restriction, or condition contained in any
deed, contract, security instrument, or other instrument affecting the
transfer or sale of, or any interest in, real property, and any
provision of a governing document, as defined in subdivision (j) of
Section 1351, that effectively prohibits or restricts the installation
or use of a solar energy system is void and unenforceable.

Section 1351 deals with common interest developments, condos, PUDs, etc.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yeah! A win for the good guys! Living in HOA hell land in south Florida, I read things in the paper weekly about another battle with a HOA. Usually the HOA wins. I am so glad this case is different. I would/could never live in one. I can do pretty much whatever I want where we live and I like it. If the neighbors have trashu yards, that's their business as long as they don't complain about mine.

We have had a few cases about flying the American flag that went to court. I can't believe a HOA would have a problem with that but they do. Size limits, pole heights, when, where - anything you can think of.

In Florida, we do have a law that says you can have a clothes line in your backyard - a good thing - but I remember a case wheere the HOA took the person to court. The clothesline won!

If you want any freedom about your yard and your home, don't buy into one of these HOAs.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL