IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis saintelucei dwarf

Bill Austin

Thought I would share this I really like the way this dypsis looks at this stage of it's growth. I know that this is was called dypsis laffa at one time.

post-4755-0-15065700-1375828589_thumb.jp

I killed two of these faster then any other palm, to bad looks like a winner.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

They don't like it too wet, or at least with bad drainage.

I've killed them in the shade after getting them in from Hawaii and potting them up. The ones that lived were barely in the blow-by from the watering.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I tried one a couple months ago. Upon arriving in perfect shape from HI, it immediately went into a swivet on my back lanai under shadecloth. It was dead in a few weeks.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

They are beautiful palms; Bill, yours looks great. Whether or not they're close to St. lucie, they do seem to like similar conditions--a bit on the dry side, at least here in SoCal. Can't wait for mine to look like yours.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Hey nice looking Bill, the two I got from you are still doing fine. They seem to be much slower than the reg. St lucy., and like you said

need supporting when young

aloha

They are beautiful palms; Bill, yours looks great. Whether or not they're close to St. lucie, they do seem to like similar conditions--a bit on the dry side, at least here in SoCal. Can't wait for mine to look like yours.

Congrats to you if you get them to live in the ground here. I killed three the first winter and killed two larger 1 gallons from Marcus this winter. These are very tough to grow for me.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thought I would share this I really like the way this dypsis looks at this stage of it's growth. I know that this is was called dypsis laffa at one time.

attachicon.gif100_7079.jpg

These are like a cross between a Basilonga and St Lucei.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Congrats to you if you get them to live in the ground here. I killed three the first winter and killed two larger 1 gallons from Marcus this winter. These are very tough to grow for me.

Len,

I've got a couple 3 year plants from Jeff in a sunny part of my yard, but it's still too early to tell. A third, somewhat larger one is on my hillside under moderately dense canopy & seems fine, although slow. It's been in ground for 2 years.

Bret

attachicon.gif100_7079.jpg

These are like a cross between a Basilonga and St Lucei.

If so, that would explain why no one's found them in habitat.

Bret

• 2 years later...

I had one that barely lived for 2 years or so and then finally gave up. Never really grew at all. Seems like a tricky grow for is in So Cal. 

• Upvote 1

Mine finally caved I'm going to retract what I said earlier in this thread. They need some protection from midday sun, & they do like their water. This sets them distinctly apart from St. lucie IMO. Neighbor Terry has one just outside his front door that is getting ready to trunk; it gets morning sun only & looks good. Looks more similar to D. basilonga than St. lucie.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Bret, get a pic of that plant. Love to see it. I have two in the ground that made it through two winters now. I got them as big 1s from Marcus not long after this thread. Like Jason said, they don't see to want to grow. I get a leaf a year on each and they are prone to lead fungus in winter. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

Mine finally caved I'm going to retract what I said earlier in this thread. They need some protection from midday sun, & they do like their water. This sets them distinctly apart from St. lucie IMO. Neighbor Terry has one just outside his front door that is getting ready to trunk; it gets morning sun only & looks good. Looks more similar to D. basilonga than St. lucie.

This is great info and I second Len's request for a pic. Thanks, Bret!

Alright gentleman, my second retraction in less than 24 hours. I got home last night, grabbed my camera & walked next door only to find the palm in question gone. Not dead, just gone. Since Terry is currently fishing the Hurricane Bank, there was no one to ask about it. It was there late last year. (He's got so many palms, I just had not paid much attention to this particular one). Sorry about that, details to follow once I get the info..

Bret

46 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Alright gentleman, my second retraction in less than 24 hours. I got home last night, grabbed my camera & walked next door only to find the palm in question gone. Not dead, just gone. Since Terry is currently fishing the Hurricane Bank, there was no one to ask about it. It was there late last year. (He's got so many palms, I just had not paid much attention to this particular one). Sorry about that, details to follow once I get the info..

Next - you saw Bigfoot.

:)

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Bigfoot no. But Elvis rents a room from me.

• Upvote 1

Bret