IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best Palm Fertilizer Spikes

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

I have sandy soils and an excessive mole population, not to mention the garden is on a hillside. Fertilizer doesn't stick around unless it's slow release or in a spike. The spikes seem to be the most convenient way to deliver fertilizer, especially with drip since the fertilizer spike can be placed right under the drip line.

I've been trying out a couple of the palm fertilizer spikes available from the local big box stores before taking the plunge and just ordering Lutz spikes. Is it really worth the extra money to order the Lutz spikes? I did some comparisons of the contents of the spikes, here is what's in them.

It does seem like the ratios for the Lutz spikes are the best, but it's $50 shipping just for a bulk box, which is very expensive. Jobes seems to be the next best but they're more expensive than the Vigoro. I am surprised there is no boron in the Lutz palm spikes. Also, the Vigoro spikes are very large and definitely the best value for the dollar, but the manganese seems low, and the magnesium isn't even mentioned. But if using the vigoro spikes, one could complement with epsum salts to add extra magnesium - tough to do though because the slow release from Lutz seems the best.

ScreenShot2013-06-17at93036AM_zpsb1b6246

Hard to believe that those vigoro spikes are palm spikes. I know they have palm spikes with Mg, Mn, Fe etc for palms and ixora. I used to use those in clay soils in AZ and they worked well, I started out in florida using spikes in my sandy soil, but they were pretty much useless. Problem with palm spikes in sandy soils is that the nutrients go with the water, almost straight down, and rainwater plus sandy soils means poor delivery to the roots over time. You will needs lots of emitters and spikes to get good root zone coverage in high drainage soils. In clay soils you get a lot of lateral diffusion due to the modest drainage rates, in that kind of soil I found 2-3 spikes was pretty good for a large juvenile palm.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Hard to believe that those vigoro spikes are palm spikes. I know they have palm spikes with Mg, Mn, Fe etc for palms and ixora. I used to use those in clay soils in AZ and they worked well, I started out in florida using spikes in my sandy soil, but they were pretty much useless. Problem with palm spikes in sandy soils is that the nutrients go with the water, almost straight down, and rainwater plus sandy soils means poor delivery to the roots over time. You will needs lots of emitters and spikes to get good root zone coverage in high drainage soils. In clay soils you get a lot of lateral diffusion due to the modest drainage rates, in that kind of soil I found 2-3 spikes was pretty good for a large juvenile palm.

This is the formula for the palm spikes, see photos below.

7E4595BA-084A-4659-B1EF-0BD81660AC68-831

1552B6F3-AEE8-4A6C-A131-DB20F3C39FD1-831

Just use the Vigoro Palm fertilizer in granular form, you'll save a lot of money over the spikes, plus it has Magnesium and everything else you need. Just poke a hole beneath the emitter and pour a handfull down the hole.

The Guaranteed Analysis 8-4-8 Plus Minors

Total Nitrogen----------------8.0%
1.56% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
6.44% Urea Nitrogen

Available Phosphate--------------4.0%
Soluble Potash--------------------8.0%
Total Magnesium-----------------1.1%
1.1% Water Soluble Magnesium

Sulfur-----------------------------2.1%
Boron----------------------------0.02%
Total Copper--------------------0.05%
Total Iron------------------------1.5%
Molybdenum---------------------0.0005%
Total Zinc------------------------0.05%

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Vigoro are "Palm" stakes in name alone. Like I stated in the other thread, nothing beats the Lutz stakes and I have tried all of them. On needy palms I stake each year. I use the maintenance spike most cases and the "Potassium Spike #30192" for really needy palms (R rivularis, D dicaryi, etc). But then again I have DG and not sand so no idea if results will be different.

As far as size since you brought it up, Lutz are the largest.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Just use the Vigoro Palm fertilizer in granular form, you'll save a lot of money over the spikes, plus it has Magnesium and everything else you need. Just poke a hole beneath the emitter and pour a handfull down the hole.

The Guaranteed Analysis 8-4-8 Plus Minors

Total Nitrogen----------------8.0%

1.56% Ammoniacal Nitrogen

6.44% Urea Nitrogen

Available Phosphate--------------4.0%

Soluble Potash--------------------8.0%

Total Magnesium-----------------1.1%

1.1% Water Soluble Magnesium

Sulfur-----------------------------2.1%

Boron----------------------------0.02%

Total Copper--------------------0.05%

Total Iron------------------------1.5%

Molybdenum---------------------0.0005%

Total Zinc------------------------0.05%

Yeah this is what confused me, I thought I remembered they were the same as the bags. It has been a long time since I used them, so maybe the spikes were never really a good palm food.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

The Vigoro label is amusing..."and brilliant blooms". I don't know one grower whose intent is beautiful blooms.

Vigoro are "Palm" stakes in name alone. Like I stated in the other thread, nothing beats the Lutz stakes and I have tried all of them. On needy palms I stake each year. I use the maintenance spike most cases and the "Potassium Spike #30192" for really needy palms (R rivularis, D dicaryi, etc). But then again I have DG and not sand so no idea if results will be different.

As far as size since you brought it up, Lutz are the largest.

Len, do you just order the big box of spikes? I could use a few of the potassium spikes for the braheas.

What the heck is DG?

Decomposed granite.

I have a few places that sell them in 5 packs. Check around as many places can get them for you. I have found that the price you pay at a store will be a little more then buying a mixed bulk bag (which you can do buying direct) and paying the $50 to ship it.

A box last two years for me.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Decomposed granite.

I have a few places that sell them in 5 packs. Check around as many places can get them for you. I have found that the price you pay at a store will be a little more then buying a mixed bulk bag (which you can do buying direct) and paying the $50 to ship it.

A box last two years for me.

I just came across this in the County of Santa Cruz streetscape maintenance contracts:

Palm trees shall be fertilized with Lutz #30193 Palm Tree
Maintenance Spikes at the rate of four (4) per Palm Tree, once a year
during the month of March. Source: Lutz Corporation, 501 Ford
Street, Oregon, IL, 61 001 ,I -800-203-7740,
http://www. lutzcorp.com/mainpalm . html.
Seems they are indeed very popular, but I've not found any nurseries that carries Lutz spikes. I am going to order a box plus a couple of packs of the potassium deficiency spikes for a few palms that have obvious potassium deficiencies.
  • Like 1

Where do you guys buy the bulk bag of Lutz palm spikes online?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Where do you guys buy the bulk bag of Lutz palm spikes online?

From Jim Lutz' website, just google for lutz palm spikes specs and you'll find the site. Or go to http://www.lutzcorp.com/.

Yeah from his site direct. He use to post here when I first came to PT.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

there is a place called hydroscape that has them at a good price

Yeah. Price is a wash though from ordering direct and paying shipping. No tax. With Hydroscape you can't build your own box so to speak.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Looks like shipping on Amazon is only $25.00 or so.

I get a contractor's discount at Hydroscape so maybe I'll see what they're charging.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Just poke a hole beneath the emitter and pour a handfull down the hole.

Is this a safe rule of thumb for all palms regardless of size? I assume that Vigoro doesn't cause burn when concentrated in a hole like this due to the "low" percentage of N and that it is time release. Fair assumption?