IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

cold hardy blue palms

sonoranfans

Thanks Tom for remembering that you did see it...makes me feel not-so-crazy... :mrlooney:

I really love this thread and soak up every post like a sponge. It's awesome. How big were your Brahea Clara "icy blue" and Sabal uresana when you planted them...did you have to protect them their first winters? I've got one of each but feel chicken to plant out because they're small...B. Clara icy blue (Tejas) and S. uresana (Yuccadoo) and think I'd breakdown and cry if they croked. I really love Blue Palms that much.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Thanks Tom for remembering that you did see it...makes me feel not-so-crazy... :mrlooney:

I really love this thread and soak up every post like a sponge. It's awesome. How big were your Brahea Clara "icy blue" and Sabal uresana when you planted them...did you have to protect them their first winters? I've got one of each but feel chicken to plant out because they're small...B. Clara icy blue (Tejas) and S. uresana (Yuccadoo) and think I'd breakdown and cry if they croked. I really love Blue Palms that much.

I waited till my clara and uresana were root bound in a 5 gallon nursery containers(deep ones) then planted them out. I bought both from tejas as small strap leaf seedlings, put them into 2 gallons at first, and then upgraded them to 5's after 6 months or so. I think its good to let the roots develop in pots if you have sandy soil so they don't dry out too much. that being said, I used palm and cactus mix plus maybe 20% perlite to make sure the potting soil drained very well. These are two species that like good drainage. they both grow fast after being planted out, not so much in a pot. It took a little over one full year, feb to may the following year for the roots to fill out the 5 gallon pot, I could see roots coming out the drainage holes.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

the copernicia prunifera is more blue than the brahea clara right next door. both went uncovered in the big chill(worst freeze in 30 years in the PHX area) this year.

post-5751-0-42865100-1371838743_thumb.jp

"I'm not crazy. It's not knowing what I don't know that drives me insane"

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

the copernicia prunifera is more blue than the brahea clara right next door. both went uncovered in the big chill(worst freeze in 30 years in the PHX area) this year.

attachicon.gif20130621_091203.jpg

What was the big freeze this year in temps, duration(days)? Kind of curious as I saw 21F x 2 days in a row in Gilbert in 2007...

Tom Blank

attachicon.gif20130621_091203.jpg

What was the big freeze this year in temps, duration(days)? Kind of curious as I saw 21F x 2 days in a row in Gilbert in 2007...

went 5 days in row temps here in litchfield park were 25,24,19,27, and 28. it was bad. sepparted the boys from the men?!? btw all my bizzies went uncovered w a tine bit of spear burn thats just popping out now.. i want to add a candidate L mariae. the one at rod anderson's(you posted a photo a while back) is nice and blue and all mine went uncovered and did fine.

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

Thank you Tom!!! I'm gonna do it just like you did. Ooh I'm so excited!

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

more stuff

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

more stuff

post-5751-0-49236400-1371850398_thumb.jp

post-5751-0-33346300-1371850400_thumb.jp

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

more stuff

Great info on the freeze Patrick, and love those blues! You can grow some great blue palms in AZ!!

Tom Blank

Heres a few more to keep the thread going

Heres the bluest P. theophrasti I have I got the seeds from a fellow who visited a monastery in Vai

C alba --- photo was in vespers so it was sort of long shadow lighting and a few years ago when it was very dry and it blued up

Good thread

post-562-0-40807300-1371867067_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-35947900-1371867082_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-96958800-1371867154_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-26774400-1371867167_thumb.jpg

Wow Ed, those are magnificent! Ive never seen a theophrasti look so good! I remember you have a whole "blue side of the yard". How is that side doing? thanks for the pics!

Tom Blank

Wow alberto lots of nice color there! Trachycarpus princeps is a pretty palm with those white undersides. I also love the bluish butia cararinesis. I also bought a butia yatay recently. Im going to grow it a little bigger before it goes into the ground.

Alberto, that t. Princeps looks amazing.

Yes Tom and Axel, the white undersides are very nice, but also visible from above because the leaflets are "folded" making very interesting green/white bluish contrasts.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

this bad boy was in my front yard but, i got rid of it. it was a mess-suckers everywhere and dangerously sharp. tell ya the truth the dactys i have are more blue

post-5751-0-95214800-1371928485_thumb.jp

post-5751-0-08817300-1371928713_thumb.jp

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

Wow Ed, those are magnificent! Ive never seen a theophrasti look so good! I remember you have a whole "blue side of the yard". How is that side doing? thanks for the pics!

thanks for the good words the pictures look less blue here than they did on my viewer last night . Its so wet and humid here we dont get stable blues ----- seems the colors are a bit better certainly in CA and coastal south FL. I neglected to praise the T. princeps they are very stunning in the photos .

Best regards

Ed

beautiful blue palms!!

...Alberto, this princeps is awesome!

...more blue palms...

little princeps

post-1753-0-53398300-1372152645_thumb.jp

chamy

post-1753-0-18212400-1372152576_thumb.jp

livi lanuginosa

post-1753-0-08518500-1372152822_thumb.jp

dacty

post-1753-0-76236000-1372152261_thumb.jp

super silver

post-1753-0-74072800-1372152930_thumb.jp

butias sp.(any idea about surname??)

post-1753-0-58996800-1372152013_thumb.jp

post-1753-0-62795900-1372152438_thumb.jp

that's quite a collection of blue cold hardy palms sergei, gorgeous! thanks for the pics!

Tom Blank

Wow Sergi, which of all those beautiful palms are yours? Could you please post a pic a the whole Livistona mariae, because I think it is quite big. I have never seen in the med a big outplanted mariae except mine. I will post also a pic of mine, which has 2 meters of trunk but it is still juvenile. Which cultivar is this beautiful dacty? I have three exemplaries from a feral form probably originating from Libya (small dates and seeds), which are very silver and besides all leaflets end to a spiny yellow tip.

Edited by Phoenikakias

hello Konstantinos.

only the palms at post 55 are mine, small palms!!..., the other palms are from a nursery in the island...

i don´t know my dacty cultivar, i have another one from the same seller and don´t show this silver..., i have dactys from seed, medjool, deglet noor, thoori, and now begit to turn blue.4

I´ll search pics abot this mariae..., wooow 2 meters of clear trunk... are beautiful these mariaes...

regards

these photos are from a garden here on the island...

interesting variation of armatas...

post-1753-0-92142800-1372229405_thumb.jp

nice almost pink petioles!! ...brahea clara or weepy armata????

post-1753-0-13569700-1372229452_thumb.jp

this is just a little corner of garden

post-1753-0-93162500-1372229569_thumb.jp

Sergiskan! Wow!

Shirleypt.png

Wow Sergi, which of all those beautiful palms are yours? Could you please post a pic a the whole Livistona mariae, because I think it is quite big. I have never seen in the med a big outplanted mariae except mine. I will post also a pic of mine, which has 2 meters of trunk but it is still juvenile. Which cultivar is this beautiful dacty? I have three exemplaries from a feral form probably originating from Libya (small dates and seeds), which are very silver and besides all leaflets end to a spiny yellow tip.

Thanks Sergi for the new beautiful pics. Now my turn: My Liv mariae and me for scale

post-6141-0-19993500-1372285134_thumb.jppost-6141-0-77900200-1372285158_thumb.jp

Serenoa repens blue

post-6141-0-50484600-1372285230_thumb.jppost-6141-0-51754400-1372285258_thumb.jp

beautiful Mariae!!..., livistonas are a very interesting genus for cold climates..., fulva and saribus are also cool green palms...

nice colour and morphology of dacty this feral variety, beautiful leaf with long leaflets...

...i tried with serenoa few years ago, but they don´t thrive well at my soil and water..., slowly health decline and finally death...

regards

...Konstantinos, you have done a great job with your palms growing ... always magnificent specimens samples

beautiful Mariae!!..., livistonas are a very interesting genus for cold climates..., fulva and saribus are also cool green palms...

nice colour and morphology of dacty this feral variety, beautiful leaf with long leaflets...

...i tried with serenoa few years ago, but they don´t thrive well at my soil and water..., slowly health decline and finally death...

regards

...Konstantinos, you have done a great job with your palms growing ... always magnificent specimens samples

Strange what you have mentioned about the Serenoa Sergi... Mine has bloomed and fruited two times and now blooms for third time. Give this palm another chance beginning this time with a bigger exemplary (bigger exemplaries are overall considerably hardier in the med that seedlings, as is the silver form in comparison to the green one) and use very sandy soil for backfill.

I am a fan of livistonas, all kinds of color in those. Looks like there are plenty of blue or bluish palms for the cold hardy grower. In this area it seems that most of the bluish palms are cold hardy, very interesting...

Tom Blank

Tom here are some further thoughts. I remember decades ago an american palm collector pertaining that silver palms are most often cold hardier than not silver. Let's think over, what is the reason for the silver color, probably protection from scorching sun and reduction of transpiration, implying further that those palms grow in open areas with seasonal rainfall and reversely seasonal dryness, whereby such plants are not only compelled to shut down growth speed but also to fall in sort of dormancy so that they can stay stay alive during the hard season. Well the hard season beyond tropics is with increasing latitude and clear discrimination of four seasons the winter and the adjacent months. If you take care of dry feet during this harsh season those palms use the same defence mechanism for their survival. Just thoughts...

Tom here are some further thoughts. I remember decades ago an american palm collector pertaining that silver palms are most often cold hardier than not silver. Let's think over, what is the reason for the silver color, probably protection from scorching sun and reduction of transpiration, implying further that those palms grow in open areas with seasonal rainfall and reversely seasonal dryness, whereby such plants are not only compelled to shut down growth speed but also to fall in sort of dormancy so that they can stay stay alive during the hard season. Well the hard season beyond tropics is with increasing latitude and clear discrimination of four seasons the winter and the adjacent months. If you take care of dry feet during this harsh season those palms use the same defence mechanism for their survival. Just thoughts...

And these are well considered thoughts Konstantinos, I tend to agree. It may also be that the extra wax that creates the color insulates somewhat to protect and also repels(beads up) condensation that leads to frost damage. So for the zone 9a, and to a lesser extent 8a/b folks, you have as many or more choices of blue palms as those tropical growers. I like green, but it looks best next to blue green, and blue and blue-green look most impressive next to green. The shades in between, like grey green(ex: like L. mariae) or blue green can be used to create a color palate in the garden that gives a depth that is lost on the green only landscape.

Tom Blank

beautiful blue palms!!

super silver

attachicon.gif9.jpg

Nice! Do you have any picture of it, your super silver that is?

I think sergi posted that pic of super silver, pic 5 in post 55. the brahea super silver doesn't turn silver till it gets to be a bit bigger...

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

beautiful blue palms!!

super silver

attachicon.gif9.jpg

this is the super silver...

post-1753-0-01736900-1372570178_thumb.jp

post-1753-0-20612100-1372570215_thumb.jp

i have another smaller than this one that start to turn blue now...

...this Nova in the shade don´t show real colour...but the leaf underside has a nice blue colour...

post-1753-0-95005300-1373176521_thumb.jp

beautiful blue palms!!

super silver

attachicon.gif9.jpg

this is the super silver...

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

i have another smaller than this one that start to turn blue now...

these are really interesting pics sergei, showing the transition stage in super silver. thanks for the pics!

Tom Blank

I cannot get over how super pretty that super silver is! :wub:

While taking photos for Ken, we went ahead and took a few pictures of our blue palms for this thread:

Ellie713.jpg

Chamaerops Humilis cerifera (or, argentea)

Ursula713.jpg

Sabal uresana, pretty sure that's a fifteen gallon with roots starting to poke out the bottom.

Clara713.jpg

IcyClara713.jpg

Brahea clara icy blue, I think that's a ten gallon and roots poking out the bottom. It's really, really blue, but the blue didn't show up in this picture.

And...

DSC_0733.jpg

This is the palm that Tom (Sonoranfans) inspired for us in his thread titled, "Bismarckias are Pretty Fast Growers in Fla"<--Thanks Tom!!! :D

This is an older photo..must take new ones of the two Ravenea xerophilas, and the Pseudophoenix sargentii

51a3a078-52b7-4f5e-be79-d6cbd3614e52.jpg

Blue palms :wub:

Shirleypt.png