IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rainy Season for Florida

gsytch

It just will not stop raining! Feast or famine. 3.5" more inches between Sat and Sun, and more Fri evening. TOTAL for July is just short of 13" (and today is the 14th). OMG. A month ago it seemed like I was missing all the rains. It is not pretty out there with grass and weeds so high, and no opportunity to get at them. Did the USF Sale this weekend and both days thunder and lightning scared away the people a little after 12 noon. Didnt rain much, but the bolts coming down did enough. We need some sunny, dry days now. Forecast fr Monday - 60% of rain and storms. This is a rainy season! :yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

No rain here since Thursday so send it my way.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Need rain here too. I will take as much as I can get. I've never seen my yard, palms, or other tropicals suffer from plentiful rain during the rainy season (when the weather is warm/hot). Everything takes care of itself.

Monday was our first dry day after 18 consecutive days of rain, some incredibly heavy. Today - huge storm, lightning, winds, over an inch of rain. Oh well, one dry day was nice. Now everything is so wet...no yard work this evening. It was pleasant today, too. I never saw my therm hit 90F, stiff breeze, and it is currently a rain cooled 75F at 530pm. One of the coolest summers in my 25 years here. The northeast is baking, so I invite them to come to Florida to cool off lol... :rolleyes:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Need rain here too. I will take as much as I can get. I've never seen my yard, palms, or other tropicals suffer from plentiful rain during the rainy season (when the weather is warm/hot). Everything takes care of itself.

funny, it seemed like Orlando was getting plenty in June, and here it just will not stop in July. I spent some time pulling weeds and mush frm the yard - yes, mush. Some of my summer color (Torenia, Angelonia, etc) was rotting in areas. :interesting:

The rain had tapered off here in the past week but we got several heavy showers yesterday.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Still nothing measurable here since last Thursday. The sprinklers ran this morning.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Rains keep coming my way. July total now at 7" with only one day without measurable rain.

The rain just stopped. After 16 hours straight. Stuff will be jumping ... :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to say.....OK, enough is enough. I'm sick of the rain. Almost......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

and it just poured yet again! Only for 5 minutes, but the forecast calls for heavy storms. Rained the past two days, but yesterday was only 4/10". It is daily now. I see some dry air in the future. That will be real nice. The palms are loving all this rain! :violin:

Moose Land sits atop a limestone ridge that provides excellent drainage. Let the rains continue here. It sure beats schlepping a hose around. I gotta admit that I am doing alot of weeding now. Mowing what little grass I have is a slight problem as well. My mulching mower keeps getting clogged from the wet grass.

Greg land sits about a mile from the Gulf of Mexico, and yesterday's drenching - an all morning light rain followed by two more big thunderstorms - carries our monthly total to over 16". 2 1/2" on Friday alone. Today - light rain for a few hours this morning but that thing in the sky is kind of shining through haze. I think its the sun? Muggy muggy! :mrlooney:

OMG It came down in buckets again. Jeez Weez well over 3 inches of rain after a deluge. I am the bullseye this summer. I have gauged over 19 inches of rain just in July. That is 23 days and over a foot and a half of water. I have algae growing on my shadecloth, and it is in full sun for 7 hours a day. The forecast for Wed...more rain. :violin::badday:

We finally got a deluge this past Friday; over 3" at my house. Then just drizzle over the weekend, 0.2" yesterday and sprinkles today. We are getting enough rain, but not the excessive amounts that some are elsewhere in Florida.

We finally got a deluge this past Friday; over 3" at my house. Then just drizzle over the weekend, 0.2" yesterday and sprinkles today. We are getting enough rain, but not the excessive amounts that some are elsewhere in Florida.

Usually you guys in Orlando get a lot of summer rains. This rainy season it will not stop. Already poured this morning. I have given up on weeding until it dries out. The palm growth is amazing. I am watching a Bismark throw out new leaves. Sun and Mon were the first dry days since June. Oh well, the beat goes on..... :yay:

• 3 weeks later...

Once the rainy season found my place it has made almost a daily visit since June 24th. I have only had 4 days without rain and yesterdays storm was the granddaddy one of them all so far this season. Trees down in the neighborhood, power outages, flooded streets, crazy lightning and small hail.

Once the rainy season found my place it has made almost a daily visit since June 24th. I have only had 4 days without rain and yesterdays storm was the granddaddy one of them all so far this season. Trees down in the neighborhood, power outages, flooded streets, crazy lightning and small hail.

Yea, but once it stops, you'll be dry for the next 8-9 months.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A much drier August. It has rained, but nothing heavy like July. Today was 95F in the yard but the breeze was nice. Only about 2" of rain has fallen in like 6 storms, so no gullywashers. I can see the palms appreciate this drying. Too much rain is not always a good thing. The heliconia are blooming. Weeding - well some - finally getting done. It is a hot night out. No nearby storms to cool us off. Looks like a few dry days left and then moisture is to return by Wed/Thur. :sick:

The moisture return would/will be a good thing. The Florida rainy season is supposed to be, well, rainy. As Jeff said, once it shuts off, it will most likely be dry for many months (like last year). I have done a lot of watering in the past week just to keep everything from drying out. The past month + here has not been unusually wet for the time of year. The palms are growing at an extremely fast rate in the heat though.

The moisture return would/will be a good thing. The Florida rainy season is supposed to be, well, rainy. As Jeff said, once it shuts off, it will most likely be dry for many months (like last year). I have done a lot of watering in the past week just to keep everything from drying out. The past month + here has not been unusually wet for the time of year. The palms are growing at an extremely fast rate in the heat though.

Same here but its only been since August started. The radar is lit up, but not heavy and widespread and not in my yard! We need some steadier rains, some heavier rains. Any possible in the near future? They are just passing my yard by. 2" total for August in like 8 rains. Not exactly a rainy season! B)

We need rain here too. It is getting dry. A lot of our area received heavy rains over the last 4 days, but we got a few 0.1" rains. Nothing much.

It has come down like a banshee! Fri night, 2am HUGE storm, Sat eve more rain, today lots of storms and rains. Over 4" since Friday night and it is still raining. It also looks like Orlando is getting some, too. I just fertilized today so this rain will wash it in but good. Happy fella here! :):mrlooney: :mrlooney: :mrlooney: :mrlooney: :mrlooney:

It has come down like a banshee! Fri night, 2am HUGE storm, Sat eve more rain, today lots of storms and rains. Over 4" since Friday night and it is still raining. It also looks like Orlando is getting some, too. I just fertilized today so this rain will wash it in but good. Happy fella here! :):mrlooney: :mrlooney: :mrlooney: :mrlooney: :mrlooney:

Either wash it in or wash it away with 4".... We got ~2" in palmetto... will take it...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

At my house, we have had 0.3" in the last week, nothing yesterday or today. I spent an hour watering everything this evening. Many areas around Orlando have been a lot luckier. We just keep getting missed by the heavy stuff, often just barely.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, a good rain today. :greenthumb: Almost 2.5". This is good news, as it has been pretty dry around here lately and the rainy season is in the process of tapering off.

• 2 weeks later...

1.5" today and counting, there are some happy palms out there, and they are still getting wet...

Tom Blank

Lucky!!! I've had to do an awful lot of watering lately. Not much rain here at all. I am glad it is still raining somewhere on the Peninsula. Despite the wet start to summer here, with the last 2 months factored in, this rainy season was average here. Nothing extraordinary, like last year.

At my school in Tampa we've only gotten a few sprinkles here and there the past month, but at my garden in Sarasota it's apparently been raining almost every day. Shows what a difference an hour drive can make!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

At my school in Tampa we've only gotten a few sprinkles here and there the past month, but at my garden in Sarasota it's apparently been raining almost every day. Shows what a difference an hour drive can make!

It has been 16 days without any good rain in my garden. Get to catch a few light sprinkles every now and then. The irrigation system is back on to keep the soil from baking in the daily low 90 temps. Safe to say the almost daily rains are done here. Edited by Tampa Scott

Ditto, Scott. I'm hoping that tropical disturbance in the Gulf dumps on us.

Hope you get it we have been under water all summer

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

Not sure how far south it will go, but the first fall front arrives in Louisiana this weekend. This may change up the rain patterns.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Looks like the rainy season is not over yet. Received 3/4" at sunrise this morning, bringing the total over 2" in the last week. The forecast looks wet for the next few days here.

Looks like the rainy season is not over yet. Received 3/4" at sunrise this morning, bringing the total over 2" in the last week. The forecast looks wet for the next few days here.

Bring it on! Last of the fertilizer is down - wash it in :)

It did rain today, ~1.5", very nice. this has been the best summer since I moved in my house in 2010, plenty of rain to keep things happy. Growth has been eye popping this year!

Tom Blank

Another 1.9" today and still raining a little. This is great as I planted 9 palms over labor day and put down a bag of florikan, I couldn't have planned it better... The emerging palm forest in my yard is loving it!

Tom Blank

Third straight day waking up to good rain here on the coast. Total since Sunday is well over 4" and a nasty band on radar is just offshore. This has been a LONG rainy season for sure. The signs are that once this punch is over, autumn will come and the rains will cease. Beginning Thursday, rain chances drop significantly for the next 5 days which leads us into October. While Sept was hit or miss for me, the month's total now exceeds 7". Growth on everything has been amazing! Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy lower humidity (I hope).

8-10" in the past 3 days. Every swale and low spot is overflowing. Weekend should be clear.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.