IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

Thick leaved Coccothrinax are another type of palm that does well here,even in full AZ sunshine.Here's a C.borhidiana that has been in the ground for several years.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-98021000-1423880155_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Ravenea xerophila likes a little shade but otherwise is trouble free and drought resistant to boot.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-04137500-1423880301_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Hemithrinax ekmaniana is a rare palm I've been growing in pots for a few years and have put 2 in the ground with favorable results so far...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-56256600-1423880669_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Of course,for a large,fast growing palm that demands full AZ sun,a Bismarckia nobilis can't be beat.This palm gets more attention from passers by than any other in my small yard.

aztropic
Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-01428200-1423880924_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Has anyone's Banana plants come out of dormancy since the New Years freeze? Mine all fried but I thought they would be back growing again by now. I hope I didn't lose them

My bananas in the ground are just starting to push new growth. Here are a few palms I pick up today. 15G coco and 7G foxtail. Got the coco for $85 and the foxtail for $45. The seller had a bunch more if anyone is interested.

post-5684-0-43114000-1424050261_thumb.jp

Mine get filtered sun. I know AZtropic has a huge one doing good. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. But they are pretty cheap and can be found fairly easily so I keep trying. Sometimes I figure out 100 ways not to grow something before I find 1 way to grow something.

Well hopefully the new one you just bought does good for you. It looks perfect right now. I will try them out pretty soon too. I hear they like heat so I'm curious to how they will do for me.

Mine get filtered sun. I know AZtropic has a huge one doing good. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. But they are pretty cheap and can be found fairly easily so I keep trying. Sometimes I figure out 100 ways not to grow something before I find 1 way to grow something.

We've killed three foxtails. Just can't seem to find the right spot for them in our yard. That extended cold snap we had in the winter of 2012 took two of them out and the third just couldn't take as much sun as it got where we planted it.

I picked up a foxy lady seedling to see if it does any better here, but it probably won't go into the ground for another year.

I would like to try a foxylady as well. Hopefully I can find one. Here is a palm I forgot the name of. Hopefully someone can help me out. Had it for about 3 years. I believe it some sort of Ravenea.

post-5684-0-36478300-1424135323_thumb.jp

post-5684-0-59200600-1424135332_thumb.jp

post-5684-0-49259200-1424135341_thumb.jp

I would like to try a foxylady as well. Hopefully I can find one. Here is a palm I forgot the name of. Hopefully someone can help me out. Had it for about 3 years. I believe it some sort of Ravenea.

Not Ravenea maybe Kentia?

Probably got lucky with this foxtail.I actually had 3 this size,but 2 of them died during our infamous 2007 deep freeze.This one had the good fortune of still being wrapped in C9 Christmas lights when the freeze arrived ! :)

Foxtails are NOT an easy grow in Arizona.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-20602000-1424627472_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Wow! That is a really nice looking Foxtail Palm. Looks like the ones in california and hawaii that I have seen here and there. Nice work. Full sun exposure, or does that queen provide a little shade during the hot summer?

Yes,it gets full sun western exposure (queen is due east) but there are many smaller palms around it that shade the trunk and keep it from burning up.Fronds and crownshaft have no problem with full western sun but I suspect the thin skin trunk might get sunburned like citrus without some shade.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

If you're looking for an unusual,large,feather type palm that is rarely seen in AZ,all the Parajubaea species seem to be bullitproof to our conditions.I have a couple in the ground taking full western sun exposure,and they are trouble free once they get going.Surprisingly,this species does most of its growing over our winters and spring,just hanging out over the summer.Definitely worth a try if you have the space.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-56576300-1425145672_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

You guys, I like this thread a lot! Plus that everything you report about behaviour of palms during summer there, is almost identically applicable during my summer here! BUT WHAT IS ALL THIS GRAVEL? I suppose it serves as mulch, but I am not quite sure how it affects soil's quality. What is your main soil like?

Rock is granite. Doesn't affect soil at all.Our soil is an alkaline clay.In places where water is scarce and expensive,(Phoenix Arizona is a desert),rock makes a good ground cover.Some people even use artificial turf if they require a lot of green lawn.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

• 3 weeks later...

ARIZONA PALM FANATICS:

We're going to get together on Sunday March 29th - Palm Sunday.

In order to know how many are coming (and what you need to bring), I need you to

email me at: phoenixfronds@cox.net . I'll let you know the time and instructions pertinent to

the day. Pass the word around and let's get a good showing! Please don't respond to this thread on PalmTalk.

Please put "Palm Meeting AZ" in the subject heading of the email.

Rod Anderson

I'm in. I will bring some pots of mass seedlings to split up and everyone can take some home. Not sure what they are. Some seeds from Hawaii that I brought back and somehow managed to sprout.

I will be attending also!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

I'm in. I will bring some pots of mass seedlings to split up and everyone can take some home. Not sure what they are. Some seeds from Hawaii that I brought back and somehow managed to sprout.

We have a bunch of these as well... :)

If someone would like to try a Wallichia disticha, I will bring this one to the meeting on Sunday. First PM gets its

Steve

post-10279-0-20892500-1427386133_thumb.j

post-10279-0-75534500-1427386206_thumb.j

Steve

Peoria AZ

Noticed one of our local nurseries has imported hundreds if not over a thousand spindle palms from FL in 45 gal triples,15 gal,and 7 gal sizes.Unfortunately, most probably won't be around this time next year.Also had large boxed Trithrinax which was unusual.Those should do fine here if you don't mind parting with 4 Benjamins...

Aztropic
Mesa, Arizona

post-236-0-90920900-1427582254_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Any of their several locations across the valley although I saw the Trithrinax labeled as "Zombie Palms" at the Arizona Ave location.Everything WAY overpriced as usual... Here's a few examples:

30' box triangle - $2500;24" box triangle - $1200

15 gal foxtail $400;7 gal foxtail $150

45 gal triple spindle - $1000;15 gal spindle - $300; 7 gal spindle - $200 (they are calling them "bottle palms")

Unbelievably,several of the triangles were tagged as "SOLD"

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

A few pictures from today. Cham Robusta flowering.

post-5684-0-14814000-1427907791_thumb.jp

post-5684-0-90658800-1427907832_thumb.jp

Edited by MKIVRYAN

• 4 weeks later...

Belated "thanks for the heads up" on this. We picked up one of the 7 gallon spindles. Gorgeous trees! I know it likely won't survive long term but we just couldn't pass it up. :)

Any of their several locations across the valley although I saw the Trithrinax labeled as "Zombie Palms" at the Arizona Ave location.Everything WAY overpriced as usual... Here's a few examples:

30' box triangle - $2500;24" box triangle - $1200

15 gal foxtail $400;7 gal foxtail $150

45 gal triple spindle - $1000;15 gal spindle - $300; 7 gal spindle - $200 (they are calling them "bottle palms")

Unbelievably,several of the triangles were tagged as "SOLD"

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

You may be surprised with the spindle. I know Scott has had one for a number of years and I planted a 15g last spring and it did fine this winter. It has already pushed a foot of new spear out this spring.

I will be visiting JoshO in mid June with a trailer if anyone wants me to bring them back something.