IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

I was actually there before they opened they were just unloading the truck and weren’t really happy I was there they were probably 20 gal and very large!!

On 3/12/2023 at 2:22 PM, xoRudy said:

Price and size range?

IMG_20230317_114055185_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I was looking at greenlife nursery on maps and saw a fruiting coconut palm next to a pond. Has anyone seen it before?

• Like 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

He used to bring in coconut palms all the time and would plant one in his nursery but I don’t think they survived.

• Like 2

Along with coconuts,he also brought in several 15 gallon pots of red sealing wax palms a couple years ago. They were something to look at for a few months, but of course, they all died. Now,the only palms he brings in are royals and triangles,and occasionally a few foxtails... Live and learn. :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

The guy that originally started this thread, (Ryan) and myself,had made a deal with 'Shamus' to bring back some palms from Botanics in Homestead,FL about a dozen years ago,since he was already in the neighborhood picking up tropical fruit trees. At first,he agreed to do it for 2-3 times his cost,but ended up backing out in the end. :hmm:

Large Pseudophoenix sargentii are readily available down there, and they also seem to do very well under our desert conditions. It would be a win/win,if he could be talked into bringing back even half a dozen of them...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Was out this morning making my nursery run and found this Dioon at Lowes for $40 couldn’t leave it even though it was in a 15gal!!!

394A9F68-3BA8-40E8-BC52-FEBC5194F144.jpeg

• Like 7

Also while I was out I stopped by Greenlife nursery and talked to the owner and asked him about bringing in some Psuedophoenix sargentii palms told him about what Scott said about bringing in 6 or so and I would put it on palmtalk so he said he might I will keep going by and let you all know what happens!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I keep trying to grow Pseudophoenix sargentii up to larger sizes for our local market,but even my small ones get bought out.  :lol2: There definitely is some demand for this species in the valley. If 'Shamus' would bring in a few 15 gallon size specimens, he would have no trouble at all selling them.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230320_084323336_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Pseudophoenix trunks really stand out in a valley full of 'booted' palms! This is my largest sargentii,originally planted from a 15 gallon.  :lol2:

Pseudophoenix vinifera behind it was also planted from a 15 gallon,but has been a slower grower and definitely more frost tender.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230320_105957604_HDR.jpg

Edited by aztropic
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

😄 Absolutely! Best planting time for Arizona is RIGHT NOW! :greenthumb: Don't waste another year in planning. :shaka-2:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

Cuban coming out of winter looking really bad. Do you guys think I should be concerned? Can we assume that this is cold damage? 

B5EA981D-5172-4A61-82B1-4B09B70B30B4.jpeg

9D35E8A4-E67C-4F64-93B3-85673E718BCF.jpeg

F64549B8-29F5-4BED-9154-B8435A3437CA.jpeg

22BF7DEA-A090-4F3F-9D7F-2D0EB5EAF3CD.jpeg

• Like 1

That’s what it looks like how cold did you get? It looks like the spear still looks good mark it to see if it’s growing but I think with some hot weather and water it should be fine!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 96720 said:

That’s what it looks like how cold did you get? It looks like the spear still looks good mark it to see if it’s growing but I think with some hot weather and water it should be fine!!

It touch 28 a couple times throughout winter but mainly was between 31-37 the entire winter. I sure hope it bounces back. It sucks that I have to battle the winter and heat.

• Like 3

It's just cold damage. This winter has had cooler weather, of longer duration than the past few winters. I've actually lost some of my stock this winter due to the colder temperatures.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

I’ve had a few casualties as well. I lost a few little guys that I’d gotten from Floribunda last year.  Sadly, my Gaussia Gomez-Pompeae doesn’t look very good either.  😔

My similar sized Royal looks similar to yours @xoRudyBut, new growth looks good. Not to worry on that one. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 3/18/2023 at 9:47 PM, aztropic said:

The guy that originally started this thread, (Ryan) and myself,had made a deal with 'Shamus' to bring back some palms from Botanics in Homestead,FL about a dozen years ago,since he was already in the neighborhood picking up tropical fruit trees. At first,he agreed to do it for 2-3 times his cost,but ended up backing out in the end. :hmm:

Large Pseudophoenix sargentii are readily available down there, and they also seem to do very well under our desert conditions. It would be a win/win,if he could be talked into bringing back even half a dozen of them...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Hi aztropic. Been to your place a couple times in the past. Hope all the palms are doing well!

I’d grab a couple large pseudophoenix if he did. They are sooooooo slow.

• Like 2

Definitely worth buying time on the Pseudophoenix species! The big batch I started from seed in 2000,took about 10 - 12 years of Arizona growing conditions,just to get to the sizes below. After that,it took about 3 years to sell 50 trees both locally,and to Californians. Demand is there,if they can be brought in at larger sizes. Everyone knows,these guys ARE slow,until some mature vertical trunk is formed. After that,2 or 3 new fronds per year can be expected.:greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

post-236-006104300 1322897282_thumb.jpg

post-236-054283400 1334521380_thumb.jpg

Edited by aztropic
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Anyone tried fortunei in full sun? Will they look healthy if they are constantly watered? 

Also wondering about some other species and those are. Fortunei x Princeps and Nanital  (I think its a cross with fortunei as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

Anyone tried fortunei in full sun? Will they look healthy if they are constantly watered? 

Also wondering about some other species and those are. Fortunei x Princeps and Nanital  (I think its a cross with fortunei as well. 

In full Arizona sun,they just burn up. You CAN grow them on an eastern exposure,but fronds will still have some burn,even with plenty of water. They just do not like the 115F that we are exposed to every year.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

9 minutes ago, aztropic said:

In full Arizona sun,they just burn up. You CAN grow them on an eastern exposure,but fronds will still have some burn,even with plenty of water. They just do not like the 115F that we are exposed to every year.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

How about the other Trachycarpus species I mentioned? Princeps x fortunei and Nanital 

We usually cruise around 32c/90f in summer. However palms get a lot of burn because the UV is super strong being fairly far south, high elevation and pretty much no humidity from spring to early Summer. 

Even some desert species get slightly yellow fronds like Robustas. 

5 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

How about the other Trachycarpus species I mentioned? Princeps x fortunei and Nanital 

We usually cruise around 32c/90f in summer. However palms get a lot of burn because the UV is super strong being fairly far south, high elevation and pretty much no humidity from spring to early Summer. 

Even some desert species get slightly yellow fronds like Robustas. 

We rarely see a standard windmill for sale here,let alone any special species or hybrids. They just do not do well in our climate. Much more common,and at home, on the California coast,or the Pacific Northwest.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Mesa, Arizona

For locals with a shady spot to fill,I noticed several new 3 gallon pots full of Chinese fountain palms at my local orange store for a give away price. Common in Florida,but first time I've ever seen them out here.

Beware,they will just burn up in our full summer sun, but will do ok planted in a shady area, or under a patio. 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230324_134924737.jpg

IMG_20230324_134905783.jpg

IMG_20230324_134834979.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

4 hours ago, aztropic said:

For locals with a shady spot to fill,I noticed several new 3 gallon pots full of Chinese fountain palms at my local orange store for a give away price. Common in Florida,but first time I've ever seen them out here.

Beware,they will just burn up in our full summer sun, but will do ok planted in a shady area, or under a patio. 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Love these, got one planted. This is a steal, might check out Home Depot to see if they got them by me.

• Like 1

Totally random question but what is everyone's current watering schedule? Especially those with moderate to heavy clay soil? 

15 hours ago, AZ_Palm_Guy said:

Totally random question but what is everyone's current watering schedule? Especially those with moderate to heavy clay soil? 

Honestly... I JUST watered my in ground plantings yesterday, for the first time since Christmas! It has been a very wet winter in my area with natural rainfall occuring every week or two. Will probably step it up to my usual once a week deep watering,as the rain events should be ending here until mid July monsoon season begins...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

On 3/25/2023 at 5:59 PM, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Was in there today for something completely unrelated.  During checkout, I remembered this post, So, I decided to exit through the nursery area. And…

7C282BC2-BC23-43C6-A091-5470A83CB15E.jpeg

Found at the Thunderbird and I17 store. They had a couple left.

Let’s see how long I can keep it alive. 

Edited by BillDaCat8
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/19/2023 at 12:21 AM, aztropic said:

Along with coconuts,he also brought in several 15 gallon pots of red sealing wax palms a couple years ago. They were something to look at for a few months, but of course, they all died. Now,the only palms he brings in are royals and triangles,and occasionally a few foxtails... Live and learn. :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

How is Cyrtostachys renda as a houseplant? How warm does it need the soil?

1 hour ago, SeanK said:

How is Cyrtostachys renda as a houseplant? How warm does it need the soil?

They would make terrible houseplants! You would not be happy with the warm,humid conditions required to keep THEM happy... 😆 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

On 3/28/2023 at 10:15 PM, aztropic said:

They would make terrible houseplants! You would not be happy with the warm,humid conditions required to keep THEM happy... 😆 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Thanks. That's what I was wondering.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:42 AM, 96720 said:

Also while I was out I stopped by Greenlife nursery and talked to the owner and asked him about bringing in some Psuedophoenix sargentii palms told him about what Scott said about bringing in 6 or so and I would put it on palmtalk so he said he might I will keep going by and let you all know what happens!!!

Not to steal Dons thunder,but Greenlife actually came through with some Pseudophoenix! I counted 20 of them between 7,15,and 25 gallon size,starting at $195 up to $800. He also brought in several other exotic for AZ palms to enjoy for the summer at least. A giant 25 gallon betelnut is pretty impressive. Also lots of royals, coconuts,Ptychosperma elegans,red sealing wax, and a few foxtails and silver saw palmettos. He says he may also bring in other exotic palms now, like bottles and spindles, as he likes to experiment. I'm impressed! :greenthumb: :lol:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230331_112001523.jpg

IMG_20230331_112955952_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_111838284.jpg

IMG_20230331_112025279_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_112801576_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_113015053_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_112817793_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_112416594_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_112203093_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_113128153_HDR.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

2 hours ago, aztropic said:

Not to steal Dons thunder,but Greenlife actually came through with some Pseudophoenix! I counted 20 of them between 7,15,and 25 gallon size,starting at $195 up to $800. He also brought in several other exotic for AZ palms to enjoy for the summer at least. A giant 25 gallon betelnut is pretty impressive. Also lots of royals, coconuts,Ptychosperma elegans,red sealing wax, and a few foxtails and silver saw palmettos. He says he may also bring in other exotic palms now, like bottles and spindles, as he likes to experiment. I'm impressed! :greenthumb: :lol:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230331_112001523.jpg

IMG_20230331_112955952_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_111838284.jpg

IMG_20230331_112025279_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_112801576_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_113015053_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_112817793_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_112416594_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_112203093_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230331_113128153_HDR.jpg

This is Shamus right? Not really a fan of him personally, kind of a dick from the couple of times I’ve spoken to him. The 7 gal Pseudophoenixs are 195$? Were they good size 7 gals or freshly potted? 

• Like 2

Yes,Shamus. Qualitywise,I think only half the plants looked decent. Look at the pics. Not sure if they were recently potted. Because they are such slow growers,you can see that whoever grew them didn't pay much attention to them. A nicely grown specimen from a quality grower should look like the first picture. Others in the lot have already had a tough life and will never look good. Tree size to pot is all over the place. The three 25 gallon size I saw all looked good,but $800 might be more than people are willing to spend on a palm they've never heard of. At least he brought some in,which says a lot. I'm just glad to see some larger examples here,as nobody has ever brought them in before. Since I already have 20 of these planted around my yard,I personally don't need any more. It was just a good overall experience to finally see this species for sale in Arizona.They've always done well for me.:greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Mesa, Arizona

Here's a couple of my nicer trunks to compare. You really don't want to start off with a tree that already has the brown growth rings stacked up on each other. Our climate is just too dry to possibly break that growth pattern. There were several trees in 15 gallon pots that had not developed a mature trunk yet,and those would be the ones I would go for,if you could get them at the 7 gallon price.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230331_180605031.jpg

IMG_20230331_180541252.jpg

• Like 10

Mesa, Arizona