IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

11 minutes ago, 96720 said:

I bought some beccariophoenix alfredii from Flouibunda in the spring had them in the greenhouse was thinking about planting them in the spring got inpatient and planted them 2 weeks ago they are doing great no leaf burn or anything!!

E57E8439-888C-45AB-BF4C-963A6E55CF24.jpeg

Very nice! My B. Alfredii looks like shit.

11 minutes ago, 96720 said:

I bought some beccariophoenix alfredii from Flouibunda in the spring had them in the greenhouse was thinking about planting them in the spring got inpatient and planted them 2 weeks ago they are doing great no leaf burn or anything!!

Very nice! My B. Alfredii looks like shit.

1 hour ago, 96720 said:

I remember those guys. I’ve got a few on the way as well. Should be here Thursday.

How did you end up placing them? What kind of exposure, etc…? 

1 hour ago, 96720 said:

I remember those guys. I’ve got a few on the way as well. Should be here Thursday.

1 hour ago, 96720 said:

They are planted in the new area behind the house one has a little morning shade and one is planted by the outdoor kitchen so it will have some afternoon shade. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 1:46 PM, aztropic said:

100% you will be successful in killing it! Needs a lot of shade and high humidity...  Greenhouse only in AZ. Expect it will be toast by this time next year...:crying:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

I wouldn't be so fast in pronouncing it dead in the water. I have two that are doing just fine in Rancho Mirage. They are one gallons from Floribunda, they receive 2-3 hours of direct sun every morning, under a porch overhang with NE exposure. They went through all of last year with not much help other than careful acclimation in shade, and then we had a quick dip to 31F this winter and, though there was no foliage burn or loss, they did have leaf-stunt for the first two leaves returning, but now in good shape.  If you can keep frost off of them in a protected area and just deal with the sensitivities of their youth I think you might pull it off at least against a building under a broad eve with, say, a south-southeast exposure for a nice winter suntrap. They are just fine with the low desert humidity (once acclimated to it) and in fact they seem to do better than some of the other Licuala I've tried in the desert. I think these are palms like coconuts that are heat-lovers and frost-sensitive, and at least when young they really balk at a six-month "winter" such as they would experience on the west-coast coastal plain...but even there, there may be hope.  Even in a mild but far-from-tropical spot in coastal New South Wales (a bit north of Sydney), there is a fellow who posted in a PalmTalk thread who has babied one in-ground in that cool climate and he says that after the first few years of protection, it adapted and strengthened, and he posted some very nice pictures of what it looks like today. So don't give up hope on Licuala grandis!! It is worth the experimentation and patience. And you can always keep them in pots if they just won't deal. I think they are too pretty to dismiss.

• Like 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

On palms that are questionable for our area I initially plant pot in the ground so I can watch it if it seems fine I then plant it!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 8:16 PM, 96720 said:

6CDD7903-85D3-480B-9AE9-941480979838.jpeg

BB8BF9BE-17AE-4C1D-97F1-E6C6F54179A6.jpegActually I have 2 same age planted at different times 

Wow they look gorgeous thanks so much again for sharing 

On 7/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, AzulPalmsAZ said:

Hey local friends. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I may be able to find a Brahea Armata around town that is not matured and a couple thousand dollars? I have been looking for a younger starter palm and they don’t seem to exist online or at any nurseries I have visited. I understand they are slow growers and it doesn’t make too much sense for nurseries to sell them younger but I figured eventually one would turn up somewhere.. my luck hasn’t turned out and I want to add one to my collection desperately but can’t afford thousands. 

A&P has some large 15 gallon plants at a reasonable price.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20220820_134000786.jpg

• Like 4

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 3:19 PM, aztropic said:

A&P has some large 15 gallon plants at a reasonable price.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20220820_134000786.jpg

Thanks Scott I actually managed to go grab one of these! Thanks to you and @96720i have two and they are the pride and joy of my collection. 

gotta love palmtalk! Really appreciate it 

• Like 3

Separately Whitfill had a nice inventory of Brahea Nitida 15g for $150. I will likely head back there and snag one of those too. This is the first one I have seen in the valley and they had them very shaded. I regret not taking a picture to share. 

Was curious if anyone has experience with Brahea Nitida in the valley and how they fare? I’m wondering if they can thrive in the full Arizona sun and if I grab one I want to set it up for success. Thanks as always. 

12 minutes ago, AzulPalmsAZ said:

Separately Whitfill had a nice inventory of Brahea Nitida 15g for $150. I will likely head back there and snag one of those too. This is the first one I have seen in the valley and they had them very shaded. I regret not taking a picture to share. 

Was curious if anyone has experience with Brahea Nitida in the valley and how they fare? I’m wondering if they can thrive in the full Arizona sun and if I grab one I want to set it up for success. Thanks as always. 

Can we see a pic of yours? 

2 minutes ago, xoRudy said:

Can we see a pic of yours? 

Sure thing,  if I go back and get one I’ll take a picture of their inventory as well. Doing a bit more research on them before I pull the trigger. Beautiful palm 

1 hour ago, AzulPalmsAZ said:

Sure thing,  if I go back and get one I’ll take a picture of their inventory as well. Doing a bit more research on them before I pull the trigger. Beautiful palm 

Oh got it! I thought you already purchased it. I haven’t seen or have grown one myself here in AZ but braheas love AZ. I have a Armata, Brandegeei, Clara, and super silver here in my yard. I’ve also seen Brahea edulis do well here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xoRudy said:

Oh got it! I thought you already purchased it. I haven’t seen or have grown one myself here in AZ but braheas love AZ. I have a Armata, Brandegeei, Clara, and super silver here in my yard. I’ve also seen Brahea edulis do well here.

I would love to see a picture of your Clara and Brandegeei sometime I haven’t ran into one yet in the valley. I am a big fan of the Brahea genus but they are hard to come by.  I am trying to collect as many as I can! 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, AzulPalmsAZ said:

96720 as shown above has one extraordinary jungle. He was kind enough to give me a tour and I couldn’t believe such a collection of palms existed in Arizona. He is a top knotch guy with a top knotch collection of palms. 

like he said the palm above isn’t even trunking yet. What a beautiful example of what can be grown locally with the right treatment. 

thanks for everything Don you and your jungle are a real treat! 

I can second this! Had the pleasure of visiting the Jungle! What an amazing place!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 5:04 PM, AzulPalmsAZ said:

The one in Gilbert with the big metal dinosaurs out front. 

Here is a picture of the Brahea Nitida which is now formally known as Brahea Calcarea. They have about 8 left for now $200. 

C2DC910A-A35B-47DE-85E3-578465A16CDC.jpeg

D9355801-C2BE-4A4A-BBFA-9F6C353FF265.jpeg

E2DE154A-81EF-43D9-90F7-F10382692FDE.jpeg

• Like 1

Sounds like they may not have sold any of them since bringing them in early this spring...  If people have never heard of a particular species,and the salespeople don't recommend them either because they know nothing about the plant,it has a poor chance of being adopted. :unsure:

This one looks too much like a common mexican fan palm,probably doesn't grow nearly as well,and at 4 times the price, the average palm buyer just isn't going to touch it...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

Sounds like they may not have sold any of them since bringing them in early this spring...  If people have never heard of a particular species,and the salespeople don't recommend them either because they know nothing about the plant,it has a poor chance of being adopted. :unsure:

This one looks too much like a common mexican fan palm,probably doesn't grow nearly as well,and at 4 times the price, the average palm buyer just isn't going to touch it...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

I agree hard to tell from a Washingtonia unless you know better. I will say they seem to have sold a few since I was there two weeks ago maybe @96720went crazy. I really wanted to get one but too big to fit in my vehicle I am a bit disappointed. They seem to be very healthy 

• Like 1

I’m not big on 15 gal if they were 5s I would have bought some!!! So they were 150 and didn’t sell any so they raise the price to 200????

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 96720 said:

I’m not big on 15 gal if they were 5s I would have bought some!!! So they were 150 and didn’t sell any so they raise the price to 200????

Yeah I thought that was strange as well they raised the price so quickly which doesn’t make any sense if they haven’t sold any. Their inventory was definitely less then 2 weeks ago so i figured someone here made the dent.  I would’ve paid the $200 they were in beautiful shape. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Has anyone had any success with a Norfolk Island Pine in the ground in the Phoenix area?  Not a Palm but I know this group would know.  Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

I grew one for several years in the ground,but ended up removing it,once it grew into full,all day sun. As long as you plant it in an area that protects it from our afternoon summer sun,they will do fine. Too much direct hot sun in the summer burns the needles,and then the tree looks ugly...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

I grew one for several years in the ground,but ended up removing it,once it grew into full,all day sun. As long as you plant it in an area that protects it from our afternoon summer sun,they will do fine. Too much direct hot sun in the summer burns the needles,and then the tree looks ugly...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Great thanks for the info 

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a good nursery for more unusual cold hardy palms in the Phoenix area? I saw 15 gallon Brahea for $90 a few pages back at A&P, I'll try to check them out. Is there anywhere else worth looking? Where I live in Texas there isn't much of anything, I figured I might pick something up here as I'm passing through.

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

It’s kind of hit and miss they bring palms in and when it is something unusual they sell out pretty quickly try Treeland the owner Donnie is a palm tree nut it would probably be best to talk to him if you can because he might have something hidden away. Whitfill there are lots of different locations so you might want to call them and A’s you mentioned A&P!!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 4:08 PM, aztropic said:

Just curious how your royal is holding up. June is usually our killing month for plants. Expect some burn from the Florida imports. Hopefully,it was well watered,and has established itself into your landscape. :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Sorry, its been awhile! The royal is doing great actually, took you advice and watered it almost every day until about October, then every other day, until "winter"..since we havent had a real winter this year, at least here in the nw valley, I have been watering it a couple times a week, along with the drippers once a wek, and it looks great!

How long does it have to survive the "youth" stages., before I can pretty much feel its a keeper? Its in my ground for 10 months now..

Happy New Year!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 96720 said:

You made it through the summer and if we continue to have a great winter you should be fine!!

thanks, that 15 gal scrawny plant from Shamus is looking good now!

royal 1-11-23.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I’m getting an order ready from Flouibunda if you would like to get something from there but don’t want to spend $100 let me know and I can add it to my order!!

• 4 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I've posted on here as I have been really busy with life and such. But here are a couple photo comparisons of two of my phoenix palms. 1st is my phoenix sylvestris and 2nd is my phoenix dactylifera (halawi variety produced its first dates this year). Both were planted in the summer of 21'. Both see full sun year round and I am looking forward to a great growing season this year.  

InShot_20230308_124647131.jpg

Screenshot_20230310_182232_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 96720 said:

Was at greenlife nursery this morning he was getting in a shipment of large royals!

Price and size range?