IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

52 minutes ago, BillDaCat8 said:

You guys are rock stars. Perhaps “palm stars” would be more appropriate. :winkie:

So, now I’m on the hunt for another palm. Maybe two. My place is gonna end up looking like a jungle soon. 

Speaking of jungles. Does anyone know the palm nut that lives on the east side of 19th ave just south of Thunderbird ? His yard is pretty amazing. The “no trespassing” signs all over the place had me apprehensive about knocking on the door though. 

1A3317A9-7D40-42DE-BA43-4CAB22A487E0.jpeg

FC96844D-20DF-47AE-A8C8-B4B4E7FD4AB7.jpeg

7300F03D-A413-4A3D-992A-53E670ABE0CE.jpeg

A friend of mine that lives right near there pointed this place out to me the other day. We drove by and I was like Neo. 

534BD876-2540-4246-AEA0-FCCD6DAC4049.gif

Though I've never been there I would guess it's Rod Anderson's.

Hi 101˚, Lo 74˚ light showers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

21 hours ago, BillDaCat8 said:

You guys are rock stars. Perhaps “palm stars” would be more appropriate. :winkie:

So, now I’m on the hunt for another palm. Maybe two. My place is gonna end up looking like a jungle soon. 

Speaking of jungles. Does anyone know the palm nut that lives on the east side of 19th ave just south of Thunderbird ? His yard is pretty amazing. The “no trespassing” signs all over the place had me apprehensive about knocking on the door though. 

1A3317A9-7D40-42DE-BA43-4CAB22A487E0.jpeg

FC96844D-20DF-47AE-A8C8-B4B4E7FD4AB7.jpeg

7300F03D-A413-4A3D-992A-53E670ABE0CE.jpeg

A friend of mine that lives right near there pointed this place out to me the other day. We drove by and I was like Neo. 

534BD876-2540-4246-AEA0-FCCD6DAC4049.gif

This is Rod’s place see this link 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, 96720 said:

These are large palms!! This palm isn’t even trunking yet 

EE9B0C45-47FB-492C-BC06-E72ED23C733E.jpeg

96720 as shown above has one extraordinary jungle. He was kind enough to give me a tour and I couldn’t believe such a collection of palms existed in Arizona. He is a top knotch guy with a top knotch collection of palms. 

like he said the palm above isn’t even trunking yet. What a beautiful example of what can be grown locally with the right treatment. 

thanks for everything Don you and your jungle are a real treat! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, AzulPalmsAZ said:

Hey local friends. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I may be able to find a Brahea Armata around town that is not matured and a couple thousand dollars? I have been looking for a younger starter palm and they don’t seem to exist online or at any nurseries I have visited. I understand they are slow growers and it doesn’t make too much sense for nurseries to sell them younger but I figured eventually one would turn up somewhere.. my luck hasn’t turned out and I want to add one to my collection desperately but can’t afford thousands. 

If you've got time on your hands,why not start some from seed? I have fresh Brahea armata seeds,way more than I need, available free for local pickup.B)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220726_153458963.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

13 hours ago, aztropic said:

If you've got time on your hands,why not start some from seed? I have fresh Brahea armata seeds,way more than I need, available free for local pickup.B)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Thank you Scott that is very generous of you! I did manage to get ahold of some seeds and have been trying to get them to germinate. If I do not have any luck i will reach out for some to try. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AzulPalmsAZ said:

Thank you Scott that is very generous of you! I did manage to get ahold of some seeds and have been trying to get them to germinate. If I do not have any luck i will reach out for some to try. 

Call Hal at Desert Palm Growers on 35th.  I got two with 7ft of trunk each for under 800 total.  This was a few years ago, but I imagine he's still reasonable and still has great palms.

Edited by ahosey01

On 7/24/2022 at 7:54 PM, 96720 said:

You ain’t kiddin.  Gorgeous tree tho. 
Looks like I’ll need to find a large, protected spot. That’s gonna be tough.

17 hours ago, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I’d like to try half a dozen or so. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, AzulPalmsAZ said:

96720 as shown above has one extraordinary jungle. He was kind enough to give me a tour and I couldn’t believe such a collection of palms existed in Arizona. He is a top knotch guy with a top knotch collection of palms. 

like he said the palm above isn’t even trunking yet. What a beautiful example of what can be grown locally with the right treatment. 

thanks for everything Don you and your jungle are a real treat! 

On 7/25/2022 at 8:11 PM, 96720 said:

@AzulPalmsAZ it was my pleasure!!! So great to see young people catching the palm addiction!!!

This is another collection that I’d LOVE to come visit. :winkie:

@96720  What part of town are you ? 

Had a chance to go visit @aztropic today. He’s always super informative and friendly. Yard is gorgeous as always.  

Thank you again Scott!

Came home with a few new plants. *shocker*

Cerifira Med palm. I already have a larger one. But, what harm is there in another? 

Sharkskin Shoes agave. Not a palm. I know. But, striking appearance. I couldn’t resist. Mature plant is in his yard. The 1gal is the newbie. The baby is a pup I removed this evening. 

Copernicia Macroglossa 5 gal. Now I need to find the perfect spot. Hmm…

Brahea sp. “super-silver”.  Wish me luck.  I had tried one of these a couple years ago. Purchased from Phil out in Encinitas. It didn’t make it through its first summer. I’m hoping a locally grown example will do better. 

A8417222-1ECF-4612-ADF4-F5382740273A.jpeg

4027A0A2-F13A-43E2-AFA4-A5280C01C5F8.jpeg

A181088A-A168-420C-A6C5-997AC7239910.jpeg

A2236C7A-91A0-44A8-B06D-D2041644AC11.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2022 at 4:22 PM, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

13 hours ago, AzulPalmsAZ said:

11 hours ago, 96720 said:

These seeds are easy to germinate I can even germinate them!

I pinched a handful while I was down there. 
thank you again @aztropic

4EF68EF1-11B9-4B5D-ACA3-1D641EA5FB2D.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi everyone. 

So, my friend lives in the western part of Los Angeles.  While out walking around his neighborhood a few weeks ago, He came across some kind of palm tree that was dropping these seeds. He did not take any pictures and can’t remember exactly where he was when he found them. Does anyone recognize them or have any guesses? 

07794464-03AB-41A0-A8E5-13BD05FF89E3.jpeg

B375114D-524A-4540-BFCD-1138BE329D6A.jpeg

D0928C1D-98B8-4059-AC98-3F1296A5DE0A.jpeg

After reading thousands of his posts,I finally got the chance to meet Silas_Sancona (Nathan) in person. Very cool dude that really knows his plant material.B)

He stopped by for a garden tour,picked up some Brahea seeds,and even gifted me with a Guaiacum coulteri tree he grew himself; plus some cacti to add to my collection. Very much appreciated!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220803_092349167.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Did he say how old that tree is must be at least 5 years one of my favorite trees blooms off and on all summer beautiful!!!

26 minutes ago, 96720 said:

Did he say how old that tree is must be at least 5 years one of my favorite trees blooms off and on all summer beautiful!!!

Have to double check, but 99% sure that batch of seedlings is approx 2.5 years post germination..  I get these up pretty quickly..

Scott / @aztropic  Was a pleasure meeting you and finally seeing the collection in person as well.. Funny how hot / muggy it was yesterday, and today it has been showery and much cooler, haha.. 

Anyway, If you have any questions on getting the G. coulteri  situated, don't hesitate to ask..

Anyone else local ..or close enough to stop by..  go and get yourself some Brahea seeds before they're gone..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, 96720 said:

That’s some fast growth because they are slow at least my sanctum is!!!

On the bigger " saplings" they might be closer to 4 years now..  I couldn't find the pictures i thought i'd taken when i started that batch.  Regardless:

Here are how some seedling batches look atm.. These were started right around now, back in 2020 ..so at about the 2 year mark.  Can see how some are definitely moving faster than others.

IMG_3510.thumb.JPG.fea4ed0e1d68face6eda87ceca2b1192.JPG

IMG_3511.thumb.JPG.08ab1b2aa7e25a4bbc842c23dfc230af.JPG

3rd picture is a batch i tried to kill  ..Well, not really, lol.  Forgot to water during our hot / dry stretch.  While one seedling may ..or may not.. recover, can see the others took off when i watered.  They're all about ready to be separated into individual 1gals.  Bigger seedlings will be going into 3's.. Something i should have done that last year.

IMG_3512.thumb.JPG.ccb8aefa2a550d89305decf0a2dfcad9.JPG

Trick w/ getting them to move:  water once a week, unless it rains ( this time of year.. I don't water much during the winter ), grown under high, shifting shade, and fed w/ Langbeinite, Azomite, and Crabshell meal 2x yearly.. And grown in a mix that is 70/80-ish% Granite- based wash grit ( is what i pull out of a wash ). Other 20% is Turface MVP, Pumice ..and a little organics ( coconut peat )

G. sanctum is slow-er, but got seedlings moving at a good clip w/ the same treatment. Unfortunately, i did kill those.   My big sanctum puts on growth at about the same pace as G. coulteri.. ..Not weed speed, but not slower than a snail.  My biggest coulteri can add 12-15" of new growth per year if i keep it well watered..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 96720 said:

That’s some fast growth because they are slow at least my sanctum is!!!

I showed off some of my pot grown Guaiacum sanctum on the tour that I also find to be very slow growers. I think I may have started those seeds about 10 years ago and was very surprised that the gifted coulteri plant was only a couple years old. I think I need to cut back on the organics on the ones I have, and add more minerals to the soil mix they are currently potted in.:wacko:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20220803_145738094.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

I went bye Shamus’s place he had some Licuala Grandis I bought one to kill my job is to kill plants what are the chances I will fail??

1C20C873-1383-4E61-B4EC-281E9ACA29AB.jpeg

Edited by 96720
Add picture
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, 96720 said:

I went bye Shamus’s place he had some Licuala Grandis I bought one to kill my job is to kill plants what are the chances I will fail??

1C20C873-1383-4E61-B4EC-281E9ACA29AB.jpeg

100% you will be successful in killing it! Needs a lot of shade and high humidity...  Greenhouse only in AZ. Expect it will be toast by this time next year...:crying:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Edited by aztropic
  • Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

I was at the depot today. This majesty palm was just staring at me. Y’all said that it’d be ok. We’re gonna find out.  A quick re-pot and a spot on the north patio. 

90492FF5-FDDD-490C-93CC-E837BBE6920A.jpeg

88351238-7383-4377-98F6-EC0E120398EA.jpeg

Edited by BillDaCat8
  • Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 7:54 PM, 96720 said:

Hi Don. I ordered four from Floribunda as you suggested. A few other interesting selections as well. Thank you again for the tour. Suz and I had a great time and learned a lot. Your place is awesome. I wish I had that kind of acreage. 

41FD6653-D301-4AE2-9A86-700CB1EA0824.jpeg

Can’t have too many Royals, can we? 

Edited by BillDaCat8
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 3:11 PM, aztropic said:

I showed off some of my pot grown Guaiacum sanctum on the tour that I also find to be very slow growers. I think I may have started those seeds about 10 years ago and was very surprised that the gifted coulteri plant was only a couple years old. I think I need to cut back on the organics on the ones I have, and add more minerals to the soil mix they are currently potted in.:wacko:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20220803_145738094.jpg

Scott, here's a couple pictures of a seed grown,  3gal G. coulteri i stuck in the ground in Feb.,  Would say it is a year or two older than the one i brought you.

DSC08990.thumb.JPG.782d4db899a810b51ae37d531a7380f0.JPG

..And how much growth i've gotten on it so far this year..  w/ just once or twice a week watering via drip. ( ...and whatever rain we've had this summer ) It's actually adding growth faster than the Torch Glow Bougainvillea i put in on either side of it.  Smaller 1gal planted in another part of the yard is also growing pretty quickly also.

IMG_3909.thumb.JPG.8a8fb465edcfca5dbfb2d46409f2352e.JPG

• Like 2

Yes, everything grows way faster when planted in the ground. Amazing growth on that one! :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

7 minutes ago, 96720 said:

That is some amazing growth does it bloom much my sanctum blooms almost all summer!!

That one is too young..  A tall, but spindly 1 gal i planted out there did throw a flower though.. Never seen any other 1gal sized plant i have do that.  

My potted coulteri specimens, and G. sanctum  flower pretty reliably.. G. sanctum flowers only once or twice a year.  Bigger G. coulteri  just finished cycle #4 -for this year. Other, shy flowering ( so far at least ) specimen has only flowered twice this year..  Oddly, it is older than the bigger one. ...Picked up at a DBG sale in March of 2013 as a tiny 1 gal..  Bigger one was a 5gal picked up at a nursery in 2016.   Have a gut feeling they are two different forms of the species as the leaves / flowers are a bit larger on the one i picked up in 2016.  It's twin is in the ground a few doors down. Survived receiving zero water ( and actually flowered ) since March when that house was sold.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone in AZ tried the Foxy Lady hybrid?  I have a lot of Patric’s hybrids that have done well here so I thought I’d try something that would probably die right away.  

2 minutes ago, RichAZ said:

Has anyone in AZ tried the Foxy Lady hybrid?  I have a lot of Patric’s hybrids that have done well here so I thought I’d try something that would probably die right away.  

Someone on here is selling seedlings currently. I was eyeballing them a bit. I figure that you’d need to buy four or five of them to kind of be “sure” that you got a legit one. 
Given my success here in N. PHX with the regular Foxtails. Or, should I say, lack of success. I decided to pass.

Maybe I’m quitting too soon tho? 

• Like 1

Anyone in the valley have any experience with Mazari palms (nannorrhops ritchiana.)? On paper they seem like a decent candidate for the valley but I haven’t encountered one or seen any chatter on this thread regarding this species. I have some seeds I am trying to germinate currently but wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any thoughts on the viability of this species in Phoenix? Thanks as always. 

3 minutes ago, 96720 said:

They grow great in Phoenix will see if I can find a picture of mine!!

Wow I am disappointed you had one and I didn’t even notice it. I think another visit may be in order! Thanks for the feedback! Would love to see a picture if convenient! 

Yes mine grew so fast and wide that I had to pull it outta my small front yard. Thought I could get more time before I had to make that sad decision but that's what happens when you try and squeeze too many palms in and I have an Hoa (boo). 

• Like 1

I have a bluish white Nannorrhops here in the valley and it’s super happy.  Sun most of the day with no burning and a better (but not amazing) growth rate than I’d expected.  You should be fine.  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I bought some beccariophoenix alfredii from Flouibunda in the spring had them in the greenhouse was thinking about planting them in the spring got inpatient and planted them 2 weeks ago they are doing great no leaf burn or anything!!

E57E8439-888C-45AB-BF4C-963A6E55CF24.jpeg

• Like 2