IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

On 6/1/2022 at 4:55 PM, AZJakeB said:

Hey Bill.  How much is Pacific Palms asking for those?  I'd like to give on a try if they can handle the sun better than a queen.

I’m planning a trip up there today. We’ll see…

• Like 2

Visited Pacific Palms today. Mark (the owner) showed me around a bit. They do have coco-queens there. Big boys too. 25+ gallon containers, 15’ tall easily. Sadly they were priced beyond what I was willing to pay. 

I’m thinking about a trip to SoCal next week to hunt a few down. *que the “mission impossible” theme*

If I can fit more than I want for my yard into my truck, would anyone be interested? 

Edited by BillDaCat8
Typo
  • Like 2

During my visit to Pacific Palms today, I ran into this guy. Positively the largest C. Humilis “Vulcano”  that I’ve ever seen.  It was seeding even.
Mark told me that it was sold already.  Can’t even imagine what it went for either. Yikes! 

79BD5DAA-FFEA-41C1-BDCE-7681826F9A3C.jpeg

Edited by BillDaCat8
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Had time to kill,so stopped by the moon... Was surprised to see they brought in some 48" box Jubaea. Just $7500,and one could be yours! :lol:

Actually is probably a bargain, since their canary date palms are the same price.:greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220613_160808864_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

• 2 weeks later...

@aztropic said they would grow here I planted my Majesty palm!!! You can see it wanted out of its container I also took a picture of my “great soil” it is in great company a royal to one side a Beccariophoenix to one side a mule in front and a Dictyosperma behind!!

E53703BE-E3AF-4056-9A24-405CBEC2B197.jpeg

38AD7A88-BF20-4897-A7D7-6F13F89B9680.jpeg

FB992D1C-7AB4-402D-8A28-750719ADC1DF.jpeg

• Like 2

For a second I thought that was a continuation of the previous post, and you were planting a $7500 Jubaea. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

For a second I thought that was a continuation of the previous post, and you were planting a $7500 Jubaea. 

:lol:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

3 hours ago, 96720 said:

@aztropic said they would grow here I planted my Majesty palm!!!

Here's a pic of mine,taken today,for inspiration. Still growing strong over here.:greenthumb:

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220624_104148565_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

This has nothing to do with palms but somehow my last text was entered twice and I don’t know how to delete it so I put this picture of one of the gardens that I maintain that is in Phoenix home and garden!! Sorry 

9CD2F1F9-0092-4193-9EFB-1C4756718135.jpeg

Edited by 96720
Interesting twice
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 6:01 PM, wase471111 said:

I'll let you guys know how mine progresses; so far, looks alot better than it did 5 days ago, now that it in the ground, getting 8 hours of decent sun light

Just curious how your royal is holding up. June is usually our killing month for plants. Expect some burn from the Florida imports. Hopefully,it was well watered,and has established itself into your landscape. :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

14 hours ago, aztropic said:

Just curious how your royal is holding up. June is usually our killing month for plants. Expect some burn from the Florida imports. Hopefully,it was well watered,and has established itself into your landscape. :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

I have always thought June was the worst month in Arizona. My coco, which is in full sun until 3pm, got some minor burning from that heat wave earlier this month. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 96720 said:

@ando.wsu Show a picture of your coco do you know what variety it is?

Not the most photogenic photo of it. Its a coconut I brought back from Maui.  Its a green variety. I may have a pic of the small grove of cocos from my old backyard on the island where it originated from.  

before i moved to AZ, there was a large pile of nuts that had accumulated over the years under the palms with about a quarter of them sprouted. I grabbed one with the smallest sprouts to haul back. 

D88DD681-9100-42CF-A209-A67450B4CF1C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ms. Edie and I have almost finished re-potting our coconut-queens. Found em out in Cali. They were in 15’s but, they were definitely needing to go into something larger.  Roots were shooting out the bottom and the containers were disintegrating. Edie mostly just barks at the shovel while I’m using it. But, it’s fun to have her out there while I’m working.  

Does anyone know of a place here in town that sells pumice? Possibly in bulk? Currently, I’m buying 1cf bags at Summer Winds nursery on Bell for $30 a bag. (Was $20 per bag a year ago) Re-potting these things has cost me $120 just for pumice! 

Big thank you to store manager Dillon at Moon Valley Nurseries on 7th st. He hooked me up with the 30+ gal containers. I wasn’t able to find them anywhere else. 

13DEA673-1F31-40E2-B6A8-AA206D6B4368.jpeg

73A68069-9155-49C4-8D0F-1B3C2723D4C0.jpeg

E1A16E40-C91F-4F5B-9EAC-2906ADA2F92B.jpeg

• Like 2

Perlite is similar and HD has 2 cu ft bags vigoro brand for $17.97...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220707_091304517.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

On 5/31/2022 at 4:45 PM, aztropic said:

If you've never tried a Barbados cherry,that is a tree that I have become very impressed with! Fast grower that will produce fruit,but you have to be faster than the birds to enjoy some... Pretty pink flowers,and tropical looking leaves. Seems to take our full sun without any problem.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Where did you find your tree and how long have you had it ? Does it require lots of water and does it take full afternoon sun? 
thank you!

I grew my Barbados cherry from a cutting about 5 years ago. Currently 6 ft tall. It does take full sun,but also receives water every day right now in 110+F to keep it from dropping leaves.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

• 2 weeks later...

If there are any arizona takers for a large coconut it is free. Posted on the freebies board. Thought id get some attention here. HOA has decided they do t want it on the property. I live in town homes and its too big for my balcony. Gets 8 hours of sun, hence a bit of burn with recent heat we have experienced. But otherwise still growing well. 

please dm me if interested. 

95B155E7-92E9-4B72-9244-1CAB67E1D170.jpeg

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ando.wsu said:

If there are any arizona takers for a large coconut it is free. Posted on the freebies board. Thought id get some attention here. HOA has decided they do t want it on the property. I live in town homes and its too big for my balcony. Gets 8 hours of sun, hence a bit of burn with recent heat we have experienced. But otherwise still growing well. 

please dm me if interested. 

95B155E7-92E9-4B72-9244-1CAB67E1D170.jpeg

Re-homed. Thanks everybody.  

• Like 1

Hello all.

Who’s got any Beccariophoenix alfredii growing in their collection? How are they doing this year? 

Looks like they’d be a possibility for us. 

Finally found a Blue Mediterranean Fan Palm (Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera) Had been looking for a while. 

Good sized plant. 25gal container. Last one they had at The Plant Stand. They made me a deal I couldn’t pass up on it. 

E67987F4-8269-4FE0-8A6A-9100A4C0537F.jpeg

EEBC4F86-9F17-4D9D-87E6-625FF8E6F8FB.jpeg

Edited by BillDaCat8
Quoted wrong post
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, aztropic said:

Perlite is similar and HD has 2 cu ft bags vigoro brand for $17.97...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220707_091304517.jpg

Huh. My local Depot’s don’t seem tho have bigger bags like that. It is possible that I just missed them tho.

I do find that Perlite a bit annoying when it floats up and spills out of the pot when watering. Not really a deal breaker tho. ;)

Thanks for the tip. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 4:55 PM, AZJakeB said:

Hey Bill.  How much is Pacific Palms asking for those?  I'd like to give on a try if they can handle the sun better than a queen.

He was asking $900. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BillDaCat8 said:

Huh. My local Depot’s don’t seem tho have bigger bags like that. It is possible that I just missed them tho.

I do find that Perlite a bit annoying when it floats up and spills out of the pot when watering. Not really a deal breaker tho. ;)

Thanks for the tip. 

Pumice and Lava sand / 1/4th inch Lava rock are better / don't float up out of containers like Perlite..  While bigger bags of Pumice have been harder to come by locally recently,  you can always head to Acme Sand and Gravel in Tucson to obtain bucket fulls of all three. They ship smaller quantities as well.  Planning on stopping by this weekend while roaming around town.

Think local Seed n' Feed stores still sell a product called " Dry Stall " ..which is Pumice.  Don't forget about Turface MVP either..

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hey local friends. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I may be able to find a Brahea Armata around town that is not matured and a couple thousand dollars? I have been looking for a younger starter palm and they don’t seem to exist online or at any nurseries I have visited. I understand they are slow growers and it doesn’t make too much sense for nurseries to sell them younger but I figured eventually one would turn up somewhere.. my luck hasn’t turned out and I want to add one to my collection desperately but can’t afford thousands. 

5 minutes ago, AzulPalmsAZ said:

Hey local friends. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I may be able to find a Brahea Armata around town that is not matured and a couple thousand dollars? I have been looking for a younger starter palm and they don’t seem to exist online or at any nurseries I have visited. I understand they are slow growers and it doesn’t make too much sense for nurseries to sell them younger but I figured eventually one would turn up somewhere.. my luck hasn’t turned out and I want to add one to my collection desperately but can’t afford thousands. 

I believe I saw some at Whitfill yesterday.  Was the location on Southern. Call them and ask. (602) 268-9096

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AzulPalmsAZ said:

Might contact some nurseries in Tucson.. Know of 2 that have had B. armata and nitida. One has both in 15gal for $150.00 listed in their current inventory, but are low in stock atm.

4 hours ago, BillDaCat8 said:

Hello all.

Who’s got any Beccariophoenix alfredii growing in their collection? How are they doing this year? 

Looks like they’d be a possibility for us. 

Yep. If you are going to grow a beccariophoenix,alfredii is the one that does best under our desert conditions. I have 2 planted in the ground,and yes,they really DO look like coconuts!

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220722_164345813_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220722_181202597_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

7 hours ago, AzulPalmsAZ said:

Desert Horizon nursery in Queen Creek typically has a good selection of Brahea Armata.  I’d give them a try.  Great place.  

18 hours ago, AzulPalmsAZ said:

Treeland in Mesa usually has lots of Brahea armatas. They usually also have 5gals there for about 89.99

Really appreciate the input everyone seems like I will be able to find one with all of your help. 

• Like 3

On 7/22/2022 at 1:58 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Pumice and Lava sand / 1/4th inch Lava rock are better / don't float up out of containers like Perlite..  While bigger bags of Pumice have been harder to come by locally recently,  you can always head to Acme Sand and Gravel in Tucson to obtain bucket fulls of all three. They ship smaller quantities as well.  Planning on stopping by this weekend while roaming around town.

Think local Seed n' Feed stores still sell a product called " Dry Stall " ..which is Pumice.  Don't forget about Turface MVP either..

Thanks for the tips. I’ll look around for some lava sand/rock at some local places this week. Y’know, it’s funny. I’ve lived here in the valley for 18 years now. I’ve never been to Tucson. Heck, now that I think about it. Wild Horse Pass is as far south as I’ve been. Maybe I’m due for a trip down that way. 

I have heard of Dry Stall before. Googled it up and read somewhere that it was actually diatomaceous earth. Now that I’m looking again; It appears that there’s multiple products referred to as “Dry-Stall” Some are pumice, some are DE mixed with clay. Sneaky.  Anyways, I’ll ask about that stuff at The Stock Shop. We sometimes buy dog food there.

The Turface stuff is new to me. Looks like it’s a bit different from Pumice. Who’s got that stuff around here? 

On 7/22/2022 at 3:24 PM, 96720 said:

I have 3 alfies in the ground and 5 more in the greenhouse waiting for spring 

02F6DD0C-B2A7-4C63-8A5D-3D5666F21C59.jpeg

On 7/22/2022 at 6:21 PM, aztropic said:

Yep. If you are going to grow a beccariophoenix,alfredii is the one that does best under our desert conditions. I have 2 planted in the ground,and yes,they really DO look like coconuts!

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220722_164345813_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220722_181202597_HDR.jpg

You guys are rock stars. Perhaps “palm stars” would be more appropriate. :winkie:

So, now I’m on the hunt for another palm. Maybe two. My place is gonna end up looking like a jungle soon. 

Speaking of jungles. Does anyone know the palm nut that lives on the east side of 19th ave just south of Thunderbird ? His yard is pretty amazing. The “no trespassing” signs all over the place had me apprehensive about knocking on the door though. 

1A3317A9-7D40-42DE-BA43-4CAB22A487E0.jpeg

FC96844D-20DF-47AE-A8C8-B4B4E7FD4AB7.jpeg

7300F03D-A413-4A3D-992A-53E670ABE0CE.jpeg

A friend of mine that lives right near there pointed this place out to me the other day. We drove by and I was like Neo. 

534BD876-2540-4246-AEA0-FCCD6DAC4049.gif

Edited by BillDaCat8
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BillDaCat8 said:

Thanks for the tips. I’ll look around for some lava sand/rock at some local places this week. Y’know, it’s funny. I’ve lived here in the valley for 18 years now. I’ve never been to Tucson. Heck, now that I think about it. Wild Horse Pass is as far south as I’ve been. Maybe I’m due for a trip down that way. 

I have heard of Dry Stall before. Googled it up and read somewhere that it was actually diatomaceous earth. Now that I’m looking again; It appears that there’s multiple products referred to as “Dry-Stall” Some are pumice, some are DE mixed with clay. Sneaky.  Anyways, I’ll ask about that stuff at The Stock Shop. We sometimes buy dog food there.

The Turface stuff is new to me. Looks like it’s a bit different from Pumice. Who’s got that stuff around here? 

Ewing irrigation..  Its main use was for baseball infields until everyone who cultivates Bonsai, or certain Cacti / Caudiciform- type plants ( Think Desert Rose ) that need excellent drainage started using it..  What everyone likes is that while it can absorb it's weight in water  ( will also a certain %'age of water soluble nutrients applied to the soil as well ), it also retains and slowly release moisture after excess water has moved further down through the soil, while allowing plenty of oxygen to move through the soil as well. .  MVP is the product you want. Other products under the Turface label will crumble of cake over time. MVP is broken up  calcined clay, so it lasts much longer.  Can be re-used also.

Comes in a 50lb bag that should be priced around $15-18 bucks..  I myself use it w/ all my container- grown plants. I'll also mix some in planting holes of certain stuff that can't stay wet in the winter ( when it actually rains, haha ).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1