IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

21 hours ago, aztropic said:

Never say never... Here is my majesty growing between two houses with no special care. It's been planted there at least 6 or 7 years. Started out as a 2 gallon HD special,and is over 8ft tall now.:lol:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20211107_151717694_HDR.jpg

Very impressive, I would not be surprised if it’s the only one growing in the ground in the valley.  I had two in the past and both died very quickly after purchase and planting.  

Sad Update on the Royal Palm at the Capitol Museum Garden in Phoenix, according to google streetview it was cut down sometime before January of this year. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4469923,-112.0970014,3a,30.7y,39.84h,93.14t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sLRQgaGfzZhR7DRN7SHFkLA!2e0!5s20210101T000000!7i16384!8i8192  

I saw it in late April 2020 and took a photo, crown was shrunken but fronds were strong dark green.  Shame really, wonder what did it in.  

RoyalPalmpril.png.66565a9057965795dabff923fb278d5f.png

• Like 2

Last few years, EVERYTHING there has been way over trimmed to within an inch of it's life. Local landscapers are not familiar with crownshafted palms and trimmed it like a queen,leaving only 3 fronds standing. A couple years of that treatment and it just gave up.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

This is sad new indeed. I try to make a stop there once a year to see how everything is growing. Everybody keeps blaming the heat wave of 2020 for killing all the queens. It boils down to lack of water. It seems nobody adjusted the irrigation to compensate for the heat and everything died. My queens looked better than ever in summer of 2020 because I was so worried about the heat. I was obsessively watering during the whole 2 month long heat event. My royal took it like a champ as well.

20210822_173155.jpg

• Like 4

Since the AZ Capitol Royal has died, I thought I would head out to Treeland in Mesa and check on that one since it's probably the last one in the Phoenix area not in a private garden (or at least publicly accessible). I'm pleased to report it is still standing. It looks a little ragged but still magnificent.

20211123_104331.jpg

• Like 4

Do you guys keep fertilizing over the winter?  Specifically for queens.  I've also been doing the 1 cup pool acid per 5 gallons of water every 3 months and it seems to have made a difference for the queens.  Also this extremely mild summer helped :P

• Like 1

I don't fertilize over the winter. It would just be wasted if the trees are not actively growing. April,July,and September are when I apply fertilizer - nothing special - just Arizona's Best citrus food.(plants can't read :P) Good idea with adding a little acid for the queen palms. Manganese sulphate is also a requirement for them to help prevent frizzletop. Once queen's get about 10 feet of wood,they seem to develop a myriad of problems in our desert area.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Not just palms but right around 2 years of growth and change up here in Wickenburg, beginning of 2020 to end of 2021:C2E99877-F4E0-4E34-8A3D-74CD73530FE4.thumb.png.5c56d1cfa2ff67cf192479c15e120e54.png

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

Not just palms but right around 2 years of growth and change up here in Wickenburg, beginning of 2020 to end of 2021:C2E99877-F4E0-4E34-8A3D-74CD73530FE4.thumb.png.5c56d1cfa2ff67cf192479c15e120e54.png

What cactus species is in the pot by the house? It has grown well in that period.

Hi 81˚, Lo 48˚

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

2 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

What cactus species is in the pot by the house? It has grown well in that period.

Hi 81˚, Lo 48˚

@Tom in Tucson looks like a blue torch cactus (Pilosocereus Azureus). If it is, they are fast growing. I have one as well. Bought it last year and it stood about 1'. Now it's almost close to 2'. Beautiful cacti that loves heat but a little sensitive to cold.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 10:40 PM, DesertCoconut said:

Since the AZ Capitol Royal has died, I thought I would head out to Treeland in Mesa and check on that one since it's probably the last one in the Phoenix area not in a private garden (or at least publicly accessible). I'm pleased to report it is still standing. It looks a little ragged but still magnificent.

Magnificent perhaps, but considerably more unhealthy from when I saw it in Febuary 2020....  Needs more water? Sunburn?

On another note, as of December 2021 how many confirmed trunking/somewhat mature Royals are growing in Phx presently?  Besides the one in Treeland theres the two (one quite smaller) at the Royal Palms resort,  another one in a private garden in Encanto and of course @96720 on here, with several including one not far from the treeland one's size

14 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Magnificent perhaps, but considerably more unhealthy from when I saw it in Febuary 2020....  Needs more water? Sunburn?

Possibly residual sun/ heat related damage from Summer 2020.. On top of maybe not getting quite enough water ( ...though they take pretty good care of their plantings ) Last winter wasn't cold enough to really hurt anything, so doubt any damage seen was from that.

9 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

On another note, as of December 2021 how many confirmed trunking/somewhat mature Royals are growing in Phx presently?  Besides the one in Treeland theres the two (one quite smaller) at the Royal Palms resort,  another one in a private garden in Encanto and of course @96720 on here, with several including one not far from the treeland one's size

I have 11 royals planted with 4 to 20 feet of wood trunk...:greenthumb: Below are pics of the 4 largest

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210327_185350320.jpg

IMG_20210702_162327_01.jpg

IMG_20211006_064847112.jpg

Edited by aztropic
  • Like 8

Mesa, Arizona

On 12/6/2021 at 11:23 AM, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

I wouldn't qualify them as mature yet, but I am growing 4 Royals in my garden. My largest is a double that stands about about 3.5ft tall.  The one out at Treeland was my inspiration and I love seeing it every time I go.  

• Like 1

In my opinion it is a big mistake to plant doubles and triples of royals I love the look of most palms planted that way but mine planted that way I don’t like!!

On 12/7/2021 at 8:44 PM, 96720 said:

In my opinion it is a big mistake to plant doubles and triples of royals I love the look of most palms planted that way but mine planted that way I don’t like!!

Hows your big royal doing now?  Any pics?

It is doing fine all things considered, when it was “planted “ I was in a hurry and had so much to get done and wasn’t really into palms just unusual plants I was in Whitfill growing yard when they lost their lease looking for unusual plants found some royals and a tropical crape myrtle bought them and just set them on the ground and piled dirt around them this is the only royal that survived that treatment so it is one tough palm. I think @aztropic royals are taller than mine 

5EB5C3A4-3BCD-4E1C-9EE7-95074E49AD7E.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 7:52 PM, Tom in Tucson said:

Hi 81˚, Lo 48˚

I believe @AZ_Palm_Guy is correct.

You wouldn’t believe the growing conditions that thing is thriving in.  It faces due west, sits directly up against a dark stucco wall, is in a black, metal pot, and I think we’ve watered it once since we’ve had it.  It’s probably seeing 130F radiated heat during the hottest summer days, and I’m assuming the roots are getting to 100F+ in the black metal pot.  We also don’t cold protect it, so it’s seen as low as 25F.  We measured today and it has grown almost 3ft since we originally purchased it in 2020.

Edited by ahosey01
  • Like 1

Hey All,  New to the forum.  I live in NW Peoria and am really happy I found this thread. Very interesting!  I saw this today at the Lowes in Surprise. Do these actually grow here in the valley? archontophoenix cunninghamiana

King Palm.jpg

• Like 1

Only in dense shade @aztropic had one that grew for awhile it may still be alive but said when it gets into the sun it is toast if you want a beautiful crownshafted palm that grows here grow a royal palm!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, azjim66 said:

Hey All,  New to the forum.  I live in NW Peoria and am really happy I found this thread. Very interesting!  I saw this today at the Lowes in Surprise. Do these actually grow here in the valley? archontophoenix cunninghamiana

King Palm.jpg

They will grow ok under a covered patio in a pot,or if planted in the ground in deep covered shade. Once they grow out of the shade,our summer sun burns the fronds severely,so generally not an accepted long term grower in AZ.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

1 hour ago, 96720 said:

Only in dense shade @aztropic had one that grew for awhile it may still be alive but said when it gets into the sun it is toast if you want a beautiful crownshafted palm that grows here grow a royal palm!!

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

They will grow ok under a covered patio in a pot,or if planted in the ground in deep covered shade. Once they grow out of the shade,our summer sun burns the fronds severely,so generally not an accepted long term grower in AZ.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Thanks!  My rear yard faces east and there is only shade from the house in the late afternoon, so it would likely bake I'm sure. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, azjim66 said:

Thanks!  My rear yard faces east and there is only shade from the house in the late afternoon, so it would likely bake I'm sure. 

@Rod grew a foxtail to flowering I believe until it got toasted by the 07 freeze - so there’s that for crown shaft palms also.

• Like 1

I'm on the fence with foxtails in Arizona. While I also have a large one that is flowering,I honestly can't recommend foxtails,either, as a long term grow here. Several have died around my yard over the years due to freezes,or growing into excessive sun and heat. I also grew about 20 of them up to 5/7 gallon size from seed and sold them off,but would never grow them again. They were slow growers for me in pots,but I've had a few reports from my buyers that they are still doing well in the ground for them.

If you try one,east side of a house,or between houses blocking western afternoon sun would probably be best,with additional shade for the trunk from other plants if possible. ANY crownshafted palm can get trunk damage from the intense Arizona sun,so it's something to consider,and plan how you will be protecting it.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

@96720 for being scorched on some fronds yours still looks very good. I have a spot in my hard where it will be protected by palms that are much larger from the summer sun. When was yours planted and at what size?

I never keep track of when I plant things because I never knew there was such a thing as palm talk I thought I was the only crazy person in Arizona it was planted from a 5 gal I very rarely plant anything bigger because it takes to long to dig a hole in rock

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 96720 said:

This is one of my Jubaea’s in full sun 

BFBAE50B-F742-4733-BA57-F1AE1660C225.jpeg

I'm impressed! In full all day Phoenix sun,that's exactly what I figure these will look like here. Maybe a little more water would keep it greener,but it looks great to me. We actually can grow over a hundred different palms here;some, unfortunately,just not to perfection.

I've already sold about 25 of these in 5 gallon size to various individuals around the valley,so hopefully there will be a few more growing up for future generations to enjoy. ;)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Allagoptera arenaria appears to be a solid grower here in Phoenix. It's flowering for the first time. This one gets full sun in summer and full shade in winter (in front of a north facing wall). I can't wait to see the fruit. They look like little pineapples! If I do get some seeds I'll be trying to germinate more. 

20211219_160834.jpg

20211219_160841.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 96720 said:

Hope you don’t have any rats or rabbits they seem to be a delicacy I’ve never got seeds the animals always get them first 

That's what the lavender is for. You can see it right under it. It grows wild all over my yard. They say it's an effective rodent repellent. I also grow lots of mint and rosemary for the same reason. Haven't seen evidence of any rodents yet.

• 2 weeks later...