IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x Syagrus 2013

Gtlevine

As requested, here is my Jubaea x Syagrus just taken this morning.

DSC_3291_zps698d0f3f.jpg

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Notice how green and flawless this palm is after winter. It grows all year long and always looks perfect, without a doubt one of the best palms ever created and I thank Patrick for this.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I agree with Gary on this. I have totally different conditions, but my Jub x Queen always looks perfect. It has never show an ounce of damage.

Also, that is very coconut looking, don't you think.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Gary, thanks for updating us with the photo..... that baby is awesome! Do you remember what your coldest temp was this past winter?

Buffy, same question to you, what was you low?

thanks in advance !

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Great palm Gary,

To me,this is the most beautiful cocoid hybrid and a unique beauty among all palms. I have a question: Do you notice any of the micronutrient dependencies of the queen in this palm? I'll be very interested to see how this palm grows in the future.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Superb. Can't believe the growth rate of that palm.

My own one here is the UK is growing quickly by our standards but nothing compared to that.

Thanks for posting the photo..

Gary, thanks for updating us with the photo..... that baby is awesome! Do you remember what your coldest temp was this past winter?

thanks in advance !

Hi JV: Mine isn't growing anywhere close to what Gary's has. I covered it with a blanket and a trashbag two winters back when we stayed below freezing for 4 or 5 days with an ultimate low around 16F. This palm is a little lower in the yard, so it could have seen slightly colder than that. Anyway, it never showed the slightest blemish. It was small too. That perfect appearance characteristic is unique among any of my cocoid hybrids. It wouldn't shock me if we ultimately found this to be the most cold hardy of all the hybrids.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Great palm Gary,

To me,this is the most beautiful cocoid hybrid and a unique beauty among all palms. I have a question: Do you notice any of the micronutrient dependencies of the queen in this palm? I'll be very interested to see how this palm grows in the future.

I notice no tendency towards deficiency.

I agree with Gary on this. I have totally different conditions, but my Jub x Queen always looks perfect. It has never show an ounce of damage.

Also, that is very coconut looking, don't you think.

I never thought of that buffy, but it does have a coconut feel to it. I bet when this gets several feet of trunk it may look like a beefy coconut.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

thanks in advance !

I don't get that cold where i'm at, but I did hit 33F once this year with several days low 30's. But based on the winter growth I get I believe it will be very cold hardy.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Great palm Gary,

None what so ever. I notice that butyagrus can have some micronutrient issues but this one does not. Even the lowest leaves stay nice and green with no issues so this is a superior genetic hybrid.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Braden And I spent a couple hours at Gary's today, I think I've witnessed some of the most awesome palms in the whole world there, and I have been around this planet a couple times!

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Braden And I spent a couple hours at Gary's today, I think I've witnessed some of the most awesome palms in the whole world there, and I have been around this planet a couple times!

Wow, thank you very much Bob. It was good having you guys today, the perfect weather to be garden touring. I'll be looking forward to seeing your new garden take shape.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary that thing is a Monster and i can't wait to see it again in person .

I have you on video from Sept 2010 saying " This was a three strap leaf seedling 2 yrs ago ! " amazing growth .

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Wow. Thanks for posting an update! Mine will go in the ground soon. Beautiful palm. What type of soil mix is yours planted in?

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

I like it, its so unlike sygarus or Jubaea and nice and robust.

I noticed some Butia odorata x Jubaea F2 seed is available anyone try these. Being F2 will they be either looking like Jubaea or Butia odorata and less like an intermediate between the two?

Actually the seller has them as female Butia X Jubaea pollen, is that an F2? I thought that would be F1?

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Magnificent palm and specimen. I think I must start looking for one, now.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I know its a relatively young palm but with that tall attenuate crown it looks like Syagrus botryophora was involved there?

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Yes, a very nice hybrid. Would like to get one in the future as well. Trioderob......lol.....I have wondered that in the past too....for someone who never posts and is a virtual hybrid king, Patrick's name sure gets alot of press. What does he look like? Where does he come from? What does he eat in the morning?......and your latest avitar is perfect to ask the question.

Love all your avitars.....always interesting or funny........makes one wonder what you look like and what you eat for breakfast?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Wow. Thanks for posting an update! Mine will go in the ground soon. Beautiful palm. What type of soil mix is yours planted in?

Sorry I did not see the question, but it is planted in native decomposed granite soil.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

• 2 months later...

WOW! That is the most coconutty hybrid I have seen. And cold hardy too?! That is much more attractive than butia x syagrus IMO. How fat do you think the trunk will be? A big ole fat trunk will detract from the cocos look. But, still nice looking palm. Wonder how it would grow in humid, swampy 9a down here.

Nice palm! I too am curious if that will tolerate the hot and humid conditions that Jubaea won't.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

A superb palm! It grew like a rocket the first years. Do you think it is slowing down a little the last years?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Beautiful palm Gary. We can make a lot more if you like! Give me a call.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

• 5 months later...

Would be curious to see what a SxJ would look like, maybe a bit more heat/humidity tolorant? A lean and clean coconutty looking trunk also...maybe.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Patrick Schafer says no. He said it looks like a scruffy queen with no cold tolerance.

That's funny, because the one I got from Patrick, although still young, is very lovely in appearance.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

J x S or S x J? I, likewise was interested in S x J for a thinner trunk. But, Patrick said it wasn't a winner.

It's Syagrus X Jubaea. Patrick also had the word football written on its tag next to S X J but he couldn't remember what he meant by that. Perhaps it's seed was shaped that way?

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I had one for a couple years in the ground until it rotted. Patric was right, S x J is one dog of a hybrid. As it got bigger it got uglier too. Hard to believe J x S can be that beautiful and S x J butt ugly in comparison.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

That's funny. Is it uglier than that "mongrel" butyagrus you have? :lol: I know you can take that jab because of all the other magnificent palms you have.

We all know that there are genetically inferior looking pure Jubaea and Syagrus. I know, I've seen many. I can also imagine that you'd need to see many Syagrus X Jubaea before forming a negative opinion of this hybrid's appearance.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

can we see some pics about these plants please. i am trying to imagine... but my mind is not so creative... Thanks to all!!! Have a nice weekend!!!