IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

posting problems.

paulgila

It just happened to me when trying to post in the IPAC thread. But maybe there is a humour filter in that thread.

I copied the text to be safe and refreshed the page and the text vanished and was not posted. So I pasted the text and it worked the next time.

IE9, Windows 7 ,but also have tried it at a friends place with firefox on Windows 7 with the same problems.

For me it is not a big problem since I do not write lengthy posts but I can see it being quite upsetting if somebody just wrote a really long post and lost it.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Thanks George, that helps a lot to know it occurred on a computer other than your own - indicating something happening with your account, not your computer. If others could confirm the same that would also help.

It also helped to know what topic it occurred in.

FYI - I have submitted a support ticket to the software techs with as much info as you have supplied. I'll report when I hear back.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

OK - while waiting for a response I may have found something, but then again......... (low confidence level)

I have changed a setting for the skin selection for Jeff S, Paul, George, and Meg. Please tell me if you notice any improvement. If not, please clear your cache and then tell me.

Still happened again and I cleared the cache and it still happened.

Darn - Thanks George - still awaiting a response to my support ticket.

OK Guys - I am trying one of the suggested fixes. Let me know.

so far today no problems after posting a few times.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Please you guys - you have to give me info. When did it happen? (In other words, I am trying to figure out if it is more prevalent at a time of day, maybe when backups are running). Was it a reply, a new topic, a PM, or status update? If a reply to a topic, what topic was it? Was it a long/short post? Did it include an attachment? How long did you wait? Did you try refreshing? Do you think it improved at all with the latest changes?

A simple "it happened again" doesn't give me much to work with.

I'm curious as to what is happening with George, Jeff, and Meg.

I have a theory - please let me know if you think the problem is related to if you have quoted a previous reply in your reply.

I have had it happen with all kinds of posts : very short, with a quote, longer (for me) and not related to one topic or one forum.

One thing I did notice is that even when the "dots" at the top of the page are going on forever I can still copy the text to use it afterwards when I go out of that thread and then back again, so it's not a total page freeze.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Thanks George - I have been asked to set up a log of a particular database query and let it run a few days and then the techs would like to look at it. So it is set up and running. I don't know what else I can do. But please keep any info coming in.

Ok - we have tried a few more things, including a complete software upgrade to the latest version - it supposedly fixed several bugs. Please tell me if you have noted any improvement.

Well Dean, since about the time you posted this, I have had something interesting happen on occasion.. about 30% of the time in various threads...

When I click in the reply box and start typing, at some point, I usually get a little note in the lower left saying it was "auto saved" at xxx time. If I post and get that green bar, it may stop and post or not..If Not,THEN if I refresh, it gives me open box.. click in it like posting, it then gives an option to "view auto saved content".. and I can view it and then "post" it from the same popup box. :D

Thats pretty cool and I don't remember seeing it before..

Windows 7

IE browser 8?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I should add that if you post "before" that Auto save bit appears.. I can copy and paste while the green bar is running.. which is what just happened to me in Kens Copernicia thread

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Since I haven't heard from Paul or George can I assume things may have improved?

Sorry to say that it is still doing it. Maybe a bit less. But I am getting used to it and it really is not a big deal I just have to remember to copy the text because it always works on the second try for me. It is happeneing right now - I am adding this as the three dots are doing there thing or not doing there thing.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

It is strange that there are not more members with the same problem. Maybe it is smart software that knows when to shut someone up.

It IS smart - there was problem posting this.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

George,

If you want to be a guinea pig, I'll let you create another account (with a different email) and I would like to see if the same thing happens. I would delete the account after your testing. That way we could limit the issue to either your machine/ISP, or your account. But at this point it is too hard to isolate. It could be anything from your security software, to your router/firewall, to an actual problem with the forum software and how you have notifications, etc. set up. At this point no one has told me what anti-virus software they are using. But as you said, I would imagine more people complaining if it was widespread.

I still get the problem on occasions too. The interesting thing is the autosave bit seems to have disappeared. But just in case, I'm going to pause for 5 mins..

Wow.. the auto save kicked where you see above. I typed another sentence or two, tried to post. Nothing, just sat in a perpetual load. Tried to stop and refresh.. still loading now.

Reopened page in another tab (auto save just did this one as I'm typing this) and when I went to post, it gave me the "view autosave".. and

I DID post above.

I do trouble shooting for a living and this has such randoms occurances it is not easy to pin down/find consistancies..

ESET NOD 32 antivirus at the office i work in.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 4 weeks later...

Have not had any posting problems lately.

I hope I did not jinx it :floor:

Thanks for the update George.

I would like to claim credit. But nothing has changed on this end.

I only wish all issues were self correcting. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...