IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

posting problems.

paulgila

lately when i try to post a comment the green bar with the flashing lines appears at the top of the screen like its trying to post but it never does.i'd say this happens approx 25% of the time.

anyone else having this problem?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I did have one other person mention this. But not 25% of the time.

So, please let us know if you are having this problem. Is it worse since the recent upgrade? If so, please make note if it is different at work than at home. (I know, none of you ever log in from work :)) Or any other info that could be helpful - such as differences at time of day, different computer or browser, with or without attachments, etc.

One other thing. If it happens to you, please keep your present session running, open another browser window, and check to see if the post has actually posted and the original has just not finalized the reporting.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

doesn't seem to make a difference whether i am at work or home. seems to happen mostly during daytime but it could be that i am just posting more then.

just happened again a few moments ago when i tried to post a comment.

still "warning-free."

Yes, I've had the same issue recently but so far only on my little Acer notebook, not work or home computers.

Cindy Adair

I had that happen to me as well, several times.
I just thought it was some new feature to make you think if you really wanted to post what you just wrote.
After thinking about it I would switch to the full editor and have no problem posting.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

full editor? is that under "more reply options?"

still "warning-free."

its happening as i try & reply even now.

still "warning-free."

Yes Paul,

that is were it is. But I have gotten stuck in an endless loop were that does not help either. Then I copy the post , go out of that toopic , come back and post it real quick.

That seems to work and leads me to believe it is some kind of time-out issue.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

it just happened to me on a status update,but in that case the "comment" button remains on screen & i just hit it again & it posted.

still "warning-free."

There are a couple of bugs with the latest upgrades including some login issues as well. I will be attempting to install the latest version that was written to correct some of these. So hopefully this is one of them that was addressed.

But please keep any info coming, if you would.

Just wrote a lenghty response, only for it not to go through. It definitely happens the most when I log in and make my first reply. Which is only a minute or so after the matter. VERY FRUSTRATING, especially if you go to write someting in length!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

And when you leave the topic and go back in, I never seem to have it happen a second time.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Are you guys using IE as a browser. If so, what version?

Can you try using another browser and see if you experience the same problem?

Been using firefox the last month or so with no probs.. :D

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

i have been using firefox for a few yrs.

still "warning-free."

i have it happen to me on nearly 50% of posts. If I hit Refresh I lose everything. So I've started copying my text before hitting the Post button. If I lose everything I paste the copied text into the box. The second time the post always works. But it\s still a pain, esp. if I have photos to insert - I can copy text but not them and have to re-insert.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

i have it happen to me on nearly 50% of posts. If I hit Refresh I lose everything. So I've started copying my text before hitting the Post button. If I lose everything I paste the copied text into the box. The second time the post always works. But it\s still a pain, esp. if I have photos to insert - I can copy text but not them and have to re-insert.

Please let me know what browser and version you are using.

And have any of you tried my suggestion above. That is, "keep your present session running, open another browser window, and check to see if the post has actually posted and the original has just not finalized the reporting."

I opened a second browser window and it did not post. So I closed it and went back to the first window, copied ,closed,pasted and tried again and it worked.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

I opened a second browser window and it did not post. So I closed it and went back to the first window, copied ,closed,pasted and tried again and it worked.

Thanks for the info George.

I don't know if it helps or not, but I had this problem a couple years ago on my old desktop.. when we upgraded the site it seemed to decrease.. and became non-existant when I got my new laptop..

Probablay an over simplification, but a old/new compatability problem?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I just tried to post some pics, no go, I'll try again. I haven't changed browsers or anything for a very long time.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I just tried to post some pics, no go, I'll try again. I haven't changed browsers or anything for a very long time.

Tried again, no good.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Tried again, no good.

Okay this time I used the single photo basic upload method and she's a working, that'll do me.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

posting twice every other time is getting tedious,i find myself just not bothering anymore. :indifferent:

still "warning-free."

I am asking you guys with the problem to give me as much info as possible. I need to know your OS, your browser and version, and any other info you can give me.

This is a problem that is unique to your computer. In other words, it is not something I can fix on this end. We have to find what is occurring with your setup and/or internet access that is causing this. There has to be something in common.

In the meantime, check your profile settings. Is there anything there, like subscriptions or notifications, that could be causing a conflict. For example, do you "follow" threads? Do you have email notifications set? Have you installed or upgraded anything lately? Have you tried another browser?

But until you tell me what you are using to access the internet, and try my suggestion regarding opening a second browser window, it is going to be hard for me to find a common thread.

Wal - this is usually an issue with photo size. What is the pixel dimensions and file size of your photos? Are you resizing them prior to uploading?

Wal - this is usually an issue with photo size. What is the pixel dimensions and file size of your photos? Are you resizing them prior to uploading?

Hi, I always resize my photos prior to upload, always have done. I resize to 1024 x 768 usually, sometimes smaller, average size about 650kb.

OS = Windows 7.

Browser = Firefox.

Profile settings = No changes there, same as always.

Recent installations/upgrades = Hell, maybe, geez. No upgrades though.

Using diff browser = No, I'm staying with Firefox.

Footnote: I don't mind using the basic uploader really.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi, I always resize my photos prior to upload, always have done. I resize to 1024 x 768 usually, sometimes smaller, average size about 650kb.

OS = Windows 7.

Browser = Firefox.

Profile settings = No changes there, same as always.

Recent installations/upgrades = Hell, maybe, geez. No upgrades though.

Using diff browser = No, I'm staying with Firefox.

Footnote: I don't mind using the basic uploader really.

Thanks Wal - now that's something I can use.

Re: Browser - I suggest a different browser just as a test to see if it occurs across a different platform. If it doesn't, of course you can quickly narrow it down. Should I assume you have the latest version of FireFox?

Can you please tell me what happens when you try to upload? Have you disabled pop-ups, or turned off Java?

Okay now Dean, I have reinstalled Adobe Flash and all is well. I was seeing update messages from Adobe and I kept clicking on "later". I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it.

Thanks. This might be the answer to others with similar issues.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Okay now Dean, I have reinstalled Adobe Flash and all is well. I was seeing update messages from Adobe and I kept clicking on "later". I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it.

Thanks. This might be the answer to others with similar issues.

Excellent job Wal - there are so many variables that it is hard for me to trouble shoot each individual system. But if only one or two people are experiencing a problem, it is most likely a local issue with a local solution. And I am willing to try and help figure things out, but a simple "this isn't working," with no pertinent information, doesn't give me anything to work with.

my OS is also windows 7. browser is also firefox.

will check PT profile & look for updates to adobe etc.

still "warning-free."

updated adobe,no profile setting have changed.

problem persists even as i attempt to post this comment.

still "warning-free."

Paul,

Check you have the latest version of Firefox?

And check your version of Adobe Flash?

Sometimes you need to restart the computer for the new version of Flash to take hold in some browsers.

You can try turning off your virus protection (just while on PT, and don't click on any external links) to see if that is interfering. But turn it back on before you leave PT.

Are you sure it happens with the same frequency at work? That's important. If so, it is your account, and not the computer or ISP.

If it's your account - do you use notifications a lot? Do you follow a lot of topics?

And try IE for a session or two, and see if the problem persists.

When was the last time you cleared your cache?

How much free disk space do you have?

I just had a problem for the first time tonight. Went back to IE about a week ago with no problem... BUT I was having slow download/upload speeds tonight...

(edit.. dsl speed issue at times)

I just had a problem for the first time tonight. Went back to IE about a week ago with no problem... BUT I was having slow download/upload speeds tonight...

(edit.. dsl speed issue at times)

Bill - I don't understand. Is the problem slow internet, or did you have some other problem? If it is just slow internet (for everywhere you visit), then that has nothing to do with a Forum issue.

Windows 7 IE8....just happened to me, Dean....FYI even this is a 2nd attempt

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Please try this.

For the first time in probably 200 posts, the reply "hung" for me. I waited to see what would happen - and nothing happened. I copied the text to be safe, then refreshed the screen. (Don't go back) When I did that the reply was posted and everything was fine.

Meg mentioned she tried this and the post was deleted. But since she hasn't provided any other info, and because she says she has a problem with 50% of her posts, she probably has something else going on.

If you are experiencing the problem and would like to try and fix it, please contact me via PM. But it would help if you try the diagnostic suggestions above first.

Such as:

- Does this happen when using other browsers?

- And, can you find anything in common when it happens - like responding in you own topics, only when attaching photos (how are you attaching them?)

- When was the last time you re-booted the computer, or cleaned your cache. Try using PT on a clean boot and see if that changes anything?

- Are all your updates done? Especially your anti- virus. Try disabling the anti-virus while in PT and see if that may be an issue

- Try to find something that makes it better of worse, that will tell us a lot.