IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First sub- 30's nights of the season

BS Man about Palms

34 this morning. the whole world is out to get me!

Seriously? Is it just this winter or is it always this cold for you? Does it feel that cold? Or is it bad sensors in you gage? So strange.

34 this morning. the whole world is out to get me!

Seriously? Is it just this winter or is it always this cold for you? Does it feel that cold? Or is it bad sensors in you gage? So strange.

My winter avg is 41f. Last year I had about 10 frosts. Year before I had 8. This year it's almost every morning. I've lived in santee my whole life. I'm 32. I never remember seeing a winter like this. My father in law who lives up the street from me who has been growing palms for 13 years says the same thing. I wish it was my sensors (all 3). But when I check them against weather under ground they are spot on. I blame the sun. It's not very active now with few sun spots. It's been slowing down for a while and last time the sun spots were in hibernation it lasted 70 years and was during 1645-1715. Also known as the "little ice age". Every year seems colder and colder for me. Or it could be that I'm just that lucky.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Double post

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Here's a chart of my Avg. by the weather channel.

629b8e52b381dbc74765f5a85ea2353b.jpg

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Steve, had no idea you've lived in Santee your whole life; I don't remember seeing the gun rack on your truck. Must have missed it.

Oh yeah, great research data, well done. I agree, it seems to be getting colder around here. The jet stream drives a lot of this as well, I think.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Steve, had no idea you've lived in Santee your whole life; I don't remember seeing the gun rack on your truck. Must have missed it.

Oh yeah, great research data, well done. I agree, it seems to be getting colder around here. The jet stream drives a lot of this as well, I think.

I keep it on my fancy truck. Even then it's hard to see, with all the sheep in the truck bed and all. I reckon the 78.5 bumper stickers distract from it too. I only drive the Tacoma to blend in with you city folk. :P

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Must be all that global cooling they're talking about.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

So your saying the sun is avoiding you? Is that why you're so white? Interesting stuff about the sun though, I'll have to read about that. My predicted low for yesterday was 37 and I only hit 52. It's a low of 37 again tonight and i'm still at 55 so maybe the sun likes me today.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

He likes doughnuts and I know where to bring them so you can give them to me

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

some bananas in my neighborhood

post-126-0-50317000-1358792050_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-73392900-1358792055_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

thats not by your house is it? thats gotta be down the hill.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Yes, it's a couple blocks down the hill.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Looks like Yuba City.

A dozen mornings under 32F this month.

Getting tired of frost blankets.

Learning to love Parajubaea (along with Brahea, C. radicalis, and a few other tough ones).

Should be plenty of chill hours for the cherries.

Hopefully the frost is finally over tomorrow.

i spent 90% of january in the low 30s. this morning was another 34F. tonights low is showing 46f so we will see. they keep saying its going to be in the low 40s and it drops to the low 30s i hate january now!

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I really don't understand. Every day now for 4-5 days has been 50.5 or above for the low that i've recorded. My forecast always says around 41 for the low. How can they be that off? How can there be such a difference between you and me Steve? We were at the same temp last night at 7pm (60.4).

That's crazy how a couple of block higher can save a garden. I would have thought that the ones higher than me would have been the same as they have an ocean view but they are yellow, not really burnt so maybe the homeowner doesn't take care of them. These are 4 houses from me, lower than the other yellow ones and it was one reason why I bought my house here, ( not thinking at the time about the lack of frost, just about how green they always are). It only occurred to me this year that they survived the 2007 freeze because I remember them being that tall and green in winter 2008 when we first saw the house.

E779B92F-FF5A-4417-AAF6-9E6E05331BDE-992

Jastin, it's hard to tell from the picture, but from the looks of the brown tips these bananas are suffering from a lack of water as opposed to cold damage. Also, I think the reason that your forecast isn't matching your actual temps is the same reason that Steve is always colder than you: Elevation and topography. Isn't Oceanside's official reading taken at the airport, which is a real low and cold spot?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Yes on Both Counts matty... But I'm colder than jastin by quite a bit evidently... OR he has a messed up sensor.... or location... I know when I first got mine (4 or 5 of them).. I put them all together and left them alone.. they were within .2 F of each other.. and I confirmed my backyard was 2F colder than the front sooon after :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I have 4 sensors and a main unit all within .5 of each-other. The are all installed the right way. I just didn't understand why they have been so off for their predicted lows the past few days. I'm usually within a couple of degrees unless it gets really cold. They predicted I was going to be at 27 last week but my lowest was 33 and before that ive recorded an all time low of 36. You can see one of my sensors in my avatar Bill.

Matt - I'm not sure where they take the temp from, I just go by my zip code. WU has a sensor a couple miles away that is pretty accurate to mine.

Here is Steve and I's conversation a few minutes ago.

FD0FFC2B-3043-401B-964D-401D30DC6262-102

Try this Steve, I used to sweat playing inside of these in Alaska.

D215AAC9-3077-4CAD-878E-9931BD1E8F20-102

Jastin- that's cold... Get it.

Bill-I'm sure Justin's sensors are reading right. He still has bananas that look great by him. Looks like he never hit freezing once.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Santee greenhouse

530dcaa289674379ca3a619bd9bd6414.jpg

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

For once I had a low of 48f. Looks like it will be short lived

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I woke up at 7 and it was 58. This next "cold" snap wont be as bad. It says 39 for me with rain.

50f was my low last night. Sooooo happy about that. Today is a nearly perfect day for palms. My lows for the week and into the weekend look like they will remain in the 40s.

almost 80F near san diego state today

low for the week was 32F

Do you live in a canyon? I live above Horace Mann Middle School (on a steep south-facing slope) and had 3 morning lows of 38ºF and the coldest morning was 36ºF with no frost. I know most of Montezuma Mesa's climate is extremely mild with the exception of the canyons.

In the chilly San Jouquin Valley of Northern Ca. we had three consecutive nights at around 27F then almost every night after with frost. Last night was the first night without frost here at my place- a balmy 41F.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Whohoo! Over night low was 58.9f! I can get used to that!

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Whohoo! Over night low was 58.9f! I can get used to that!

lol.. My dew point is in the mid 50s currently. Almost feels tropical compared to what it was like a week or two ago.

Edited by enigma99

yeah, it felt tropical here yesterday.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

First time I went back to look.... YEP

post-27-0-55448600-1359316009_thumb.jpg

I think it was at least 30-31 a few nights... still has some green leaves...

Funny how the weeds never burn...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ouch

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Mine looks the same bill. :(

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Looks just like my Dammaropsis too.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Matt

They grow out of this, right? Or if not, you could probably take it back to the guy who sold it to you.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Matt

They grow out of this, right? Or if not, you could probably take it back to the guy who sold it to you.
:lol:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean