IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First sub- 30's nights of the season

BS Man about Palms

Sure go ahead and add some salt to that wound ! High temp right now 32F.

....not sure if I should take blanket protection off since the snow is going to be very heavy.

Will have to see how much actually come down, its now snow mist coming down. :rant:

http://s1295.beta.photobucket.com/user/mygarden13/media/Untitled_zps4490c538.mp4.html

i hope we get some wind tonight! one more night then i can relax for a few days atleast. i think the damage has already been done at my house though. :(

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

My old zip code in Alaska.

LOL.. Alaska is so warm. They are lovin' that jet stream right up from Hawaii. While we get the back end of it jetstream_pac_init_00.gif

Edited by enigma99

The day time temp (in the shawdows) here in Vista has not risen much above 50F all day....I fear the worst is yet to come as that seems to be the lowest day time temp for this whole event. A real kick in the tush on it's way out. :unsure:

Hopefully the wind will keep us warmer. There's a high wind warning starting tonight for mountain and inland areas for some cold santa ana, NE winds.

Yeah I hope so. But I do feel like its going to be cold tonight. The temp is ok right now but that wind and how the temp just feels is scary... that bone chilling kind of cold. Hopefully this will be the extreme for this winter. I'm ready for spring already.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Day time high was the lowest all week. This is concerning since the concrete, rocks, stucco won't have stored as much heat to release all night.

Starting to notice signs of damage. Last night wa the coldest so far. The wind made it feel frigid today.

That is wind chill. It doesn't make anything colder per se, but it removes whatever warmer "microclimate" around heat sources like skin and water.

It doesn't make things colder than the air temp. But it makes them cool faster, thus the air feels colder, and things freeze faster. Ambient heat is removed.

New forecast out.

Supposed to go above freezing after midnight, warming trend starting tomorrow, almost over! :mrlooney: Worst is over up here, but not totally out of the woods.

Edited by Palm crazy

38.8f at 7:30pm. It's going to be another long night. I'm seeing the damage starting to show itself more and more. Looks like it will be a recover summer for me. Oh well it's a good excuse to take pics of palms.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

My old zip code in Alaska.

LOL.. Alaska is so warm. They are lovin' that jet stream right up from Hawaii. While we get the back end of it jetstream_pac_init_00.gif

That jet flowing north from Hawaii to Alaska looks to be balmy when it drifts over to the west coast. The backside of it flowing from Siberia to Hawaii will follow after but at least any cold it pulls in should moderate over the ne Pacific. Worst patterns for California come over the land from Yukon area through Great Basin and then into the State from a n.e. bearing. At least the one we just had is moving east and shouldn't retrograde back towards Cali like in 1990 when the airmass decided not to clear out, instead hanging around for two weeks. I don't know a whole lot about meteorology but I wonder what instigates a retrograding cold air-mass? High pressure over Texas/south plains? Maybe gets "bumped" back by a Caribbean air-mass moving northwest from the Gulf? Perhaps HAPP can elaborate.

I have found all the weather forecast to be off. Here is what I was forcasted and what was reality by taking the coldest reading of my three temp gauges outside.

Thursday Night:

Accuweather: 36

Weather channel: 37

NWS: 39

Actual: 36

Friday Night:

Accuweather: 32

Weather channel: 33

NWS: 33

Actual: 36

Saturday Night:

Accuweather: 29

Weather channel: 31

NWS: 28

Actual: 35

Sunday Night:

Accuweather: 31

Weather channel: 31

NWS: 34

Actual: 38

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

43.2 20% 2.7 MPH. This is the last time I put up these stinkin frost blankets, my hands are numb.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Dew point is at 17 f. Ain't no frost possible.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hmm. 33.4 F and 28 F in the back yard and back forty respectively, at about a quarter after nine in the evenin'

gonna be a long one . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Finally went above freezing and warming through out the night. 36F by sunrise.

Believe it or not, this is not frost, this is snow mist tiny finely snow flakes that are about the size of well Mist.

Took this before dark and now it is lightly raining.

DSC00001_zps246c4ac6.jpg

Hope there's not to much damage for everyone else.

Roger.

At 9pm tonight we were at 32.9, last night we didn't reached that until 1am. They're not predicting much in the way of wind tonight, same as last night. It's suppose to be 2 degrees warmer as a low though (27 instead of 25). Sounding like a really long night below freezing. Yesterday we weren't above freezing until just before 9am and if that holds true for tonight that would be almost 12 hours.

Edited by WestCoastGal

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Maybe the Mayans were right, just a few weeks off on their prediction.

That's what I've been saying. We had a polar shift and SoCal got the short end of the stick.

10pm...39°f.

Dang it.

Now for two or three months of pruning, praying, and planting.

And just a week ago things were looking great.

Bulbs are great in times like these.

We'll see what happens.

Sure could use a little wind and cloud cover now....36F @ 10:45. This should be the worst of it and then climb out of it for a few days. What to do in the next few days with the dry Santa Ana's? Water or not? I gave everything a good shot of Supolmag in Oct and again about 3 weeks ago, along with fish emulsions and everything looks okay (some spotting and yellowing) but we will see what the next couple of weeks bring.

Carl

Vista, CA

11PM - 35F. Tomorrow we finally climb out but everything is so thrashed. I won't have recovery until late Summer

looks like a bad night again

Santee is at freezing aready at midnight and may have 7 hours under 32F

La Mesa IS DOWN TO 35

Edited by trioderob

Sure could use a little wind and cloud cover now....36F @ 10:45. This should be the worst of it and then climb out of it for a few days. What to do in the next few days with the dry Santa Ana's? Water or not? I gave everything a good shot of Supolmag in Oct and again about 3 weeks ago, along with fish emulsions and everything looks okay (some spotting and yellowing) but we will see what the next couple of weeks bring.

i'm gonna water for SURE on wed carl....everything is pretty dried out right now...

looks like a bad night again

Santee is at freezing aready at midnight and may have 7 hours under 32F

La Mesa IS DOWN TO 35

this looks like a replay of saturday night to me....only just a little worse.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Seems relatively better up north than San Diego tonight. 2:00AM 35ºF. No big deal.

Edited by monkeyranch

By far my coldest night ever! Hit 32 by midnight then dropped to 26.6 at 4:45am it's 6am and still only 27.7. I haven't been outside to see if. We got frost or not yet. Dew point shows 21f but we had no wind at all so I'm betting there is frost. :(

*update* no frost anywhere. Even the roof tops were frost free. At 26f I don't know if that matters a whole heck of a lot anyway.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Just above 3C (38F) this morning at my place. The revised forecast looks like more of the same tomorrow...

I think I've had more nights under 4C (40F) this week than in the previous 6 years I've lived here.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...