IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First sub- 30's nights of the season

BS Man about Palms

woke up at sunrise... looked out the window to notice there was no frost where I watered yesterday and noticed clouds inland and south...

was too tired and cold to trek out to the monitor, But I would guess not below 32 or 34F :D

Ya big baby! nopityA.gif

so you say.. but staying up watching movies and crap till nearly 3 am.. SORRY I didn't bound out into the cold weather 3.5 hours later.. :P:)

your fans expect more of you bill....trudge out into that tundra! :)

Strange...At 11 pm no wind, clear skies, and the temperature has risen three degrees in the past 45 minutes after falling since before dusk and is still on the rise. I'm not complaining but what's up?

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I've been watching the temps and wind at a local weather station (WUnderground), and the current temp has started climbing. I noticed that the wind, while pretty nominal, has changed directions. Might explain your temp increase Jim.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

woke up at sunrise... looked out the window to notice there was no frost where I watered yesterday and noticed clouds inland and south...

was too tired and cold to trek out to the monitor, But I would guess not below 32 or 34F :D

Ya big baby! nopityA.gif

so you say.. but staying up watching movies and crap till nearly 3 am.. SORRY I didn't bound out into the cold weather 3.5 hours later.. :P:)

Au contraire mon ami. 2:00 am's what time I GET up. Always follow Ben Franklin's advice, ya know, the "early to bed, early to rise" mumbo-jumbo.

Anyway, this morning was a repeat of yesterday. Methinks we dodged a bullet.

Worse day for me this morning. 28.6f at 4:50am then went up to 28.8f by 5:50am. That's all I have to say about that.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Take heart Steve in 2007 I lost 50-60% of all my palms and plants. Now six years later I'm able to withstand a lot more weather extremes because of canopy and careful planting. I like you live in the bottom of a hill where the cold air just sits. Granted I haven't gone below 32 this time yet but after five days of this everything suffers a little. Hang in there hopefully Mother Nature will give you a break for 6-10 yrs before this happens again.

San Marcos CA

Today was easily the worst for me, it's down to 2.5C (37F), but luckily no frost. I just checked NOAA for my zip code, which I _think_ gives me the reading from Happ's place (and it's 35F, which is probably the coldest he's seen in a while). Downtown LA is reading 35F, which is lower than it got during the 2007 event and the lowest it's been since 1990 (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Record-Low-Temperature-LA-Weather-Cold-186772421.html).

My bottle palms look really bad from the cumulative effects of the past few nights... I still need to survey some of my other tender stuff...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

40.7 @ 7:20am. Low was 38. Thanks to a constant breeze all night long.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Way up here it been 25F for three nights in arrow with a few more to come. Not cold enough to damage anything in my garden. But just for kicks I put a whole bunch of leaves over some cannas that have some new shoots at the bottom. Hummers here are drinking the feeders like crazy, even saw a possum last night curled up in the garage trying to stay warm.

My backyard looks like a tent city! Glad when this is all over.

A bit worse today; 30.5F @ 6:00. I'm always colder than most of the city. Still, does not appear to have caused catastrophic damage. But now would be a good time to get warmer.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Just got back from a jog in the flatlands under the hill I live on. EVERY lawn is completely covered in frost. The sidewalks in front of the houses that ran their sprinklers are frozen SOLID. I haven't seen anything close to this since 2007....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Trudged out to check remote at 7:30 am.. breezy and 38.8 at the mailbox, no frost

That same sensor read 28F on 2 nights in 2007.

Are we safe another year???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Steve....Sorry bro :(. I owe you a buck, you won the bet. BTW, Alaska was warmer last night. This ones for you.

http://youtu.be/vjscH2WBWjw

Edited by Jastin

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

jastin- i would like my dollar in dimes please. i love how this winter happens after santee moves from a 9b zone to a 10a zone. Im calling BS! my first winter as a zone 10a is the coldest ive seen yet. i cant remember the last night that hasnt been in the 30s.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Someone called?

How can I help you?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

36f was the overnight low 25 feet away from this picture at the nursery. Frozen puddle on the ground (not in a plastic container).

The wind is very cold but I do not how windchill works on ground temps.

ice011413.jpg

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Classic Jastin!!!

32f over night low. Didn't stay there long at 7:30am I was back up to 34. I hope this is the worst and last of all this nonsense.

George, the ice/frost is merely a function of a SURFACE being 32F. While not 100% sure, my job doing HVAC would allow conjecture that the wind would speed evaporation and as moisture evaporates it takes heat away from the surface its on, so the speed at which THAT surface reaches 32F should be increased...

yada, yada

Someone called?

How can I help you?

can you instal a heating system in my yard? theres a dr.pepper in it for ya

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

It stayed above freezing here last night. All the hoopla the media made about this "record breaking cold spell" upon us was way overdone. Even my exposed heliconia and plumeria made it through this unscathed. A nice warm-up is in the forecast this week.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Last night was the coldest I've ever recorded in the 5 years I've been at my place: 36.7F and it was windy which is a bit scary to think of what it might have got down to if the breeze had stopped.

Like Bob and George noted, I saw less frost on flattened grass/mulch than I did two nights ago when it was warmer, because this morning was very dry, but a dog bowl that I had down in the canyon with only 1" of water had a frozen sheet of ice on the top 1/8". I did not go below 36F because I was checking with three different temp gauges. So there must be something to being on the ground and having wind chill.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

A couple spots on some heliconias and plumerias, but - knock on wood - everything looks pretty much okay. It'd be nice if it warmed up some, though.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

damage is starting to show. ill wait to do my damage report until weds.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

san marcos saw a lot of cloud cover early last nite, so i didn't put the heater on in the greenhouse out back til 4:30 am, when it hit 35°F in there (with hardly any wind blowing outside, i was a little nervous about the temps continuing to drop)..it took over an hour for it to climb up to 36F°, and it was 37F° in there by 6:45am....

keep in mind that this whole event could have been as bad as 2007 had it been three or four nites of this stubborn low pressure and cold with no wind.. i take it as yet another wakeup call and, as after 2007, i will plant accordingly.....i saw weatherunderground stations hit 26°F and STAY there all last nite in flat parts of escondido...

on the positive side, it is good to know that even with an event like this, it probably didn't get below freezing here at the house on any of these last four nites....

Well, it was a cold one last night, all right.

Checked my hi-lo thermometers this morning and it got down to 26.6 F in my back yard, with a reading of 24 F in the "back 40" along the very very back where the hedge is. The hi-lo thermo was frosty this morning, at about 9 a.m. before I roared off to the Dark Tower.

Some tender things have a bit of damage, particularly Clinostigma.

The fool at the base of the hill . . . :(

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

26F, 24F, Ouch! I remember what mid 20's did to my old garden in Lemon Grove. It wasn't pretty. And like Steve alluded to, it always takes a few days for the damage to show up. I had Chambeyronia with mottled leaves the first week of January 2007, but after a few days the mottling went away and I thought I dodged the bullet, only to find about a week later that they ended up turning completely brown.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Just received this noticed on weather page.

… Record low temperature set at Seattle WA WFO...

A record low temperature of 25 degrees was set at Seattle WA WFO today.
This ties the old record of 25 set in 2007.

I had 25F last night too, but I'm usually a few degrees colder than Seattle, but not this time.

I know that this cold arctic event is not over yet, but I looked back at my temperature log and it shows that LAST year was my coldest year since we have been in this house, and NOT even in the 2007 event did it get as cold. 30.5 was my lowest temp, and it was registered in 2012. I am still in 10a! The difference for me is that 2007 and this year was/is a prolonged event.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Yeah, prolonged. Even after we're out of the extreme cold tomorrow, it looks like all of next week will have lows in the lower 40's. That's the killing cold if you ask me. weeks and weeks (maybe months) of low 40's just rots stuff out. That's our battle here in CA, lack of heat.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The day time temp (in the shawdows) here in Vista has not risen much above 50F all day....I fear the worst is yet to come as that seems to be the lowest day time temp for this whole event. A real kick in the tush on it's way out. :unsure:

Carl

Vista, CA

Just checked out my Dad's place that I landscaped in 06' before the 07' freeze. He lives just a couple miles away from me at the bottom of the Goleta Valley near the Santa Barbara airport. The established canopy helped, but he got hit pretty hard. I can only guess that he was in the high 20's for the last 3 nights. Heavy frost. He was also hit hard just before Christmas. Some of the palms I noticed today that will have full defoliation are:

Chamberonia macrocarpa

Dypsis lutescens

Roystonea regia

DAMAGED:

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

Archontophoenix purperea

Caryota gigas

Caryota mitis

Caryota urens

Dypsis lanceolata

Hedyscepe canterburyana

Howea forsteriana

Pritchardia loweryana

Wodyetia bifurcata

Im sure there is more, and lots of tender tropicals melted. I'll get some pics this weekend. Funny thing is, I'm no longer attached to the landscape there. It should grow back, but will look terrible for a year.

No damage here at my house.

The day time temp (in the shawdows) here in Vista has not risen much above 50F all day....I fear the worst is yet to come as that seems to be the lowest day time temp for this whole event. A real kick in the tush on it's way out. :unsure:

Hopefully the wind will keep us warmer. There's a high wind warning starting tonight for mountain and inland areas for some cold santa ana, NE winds.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"