IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First sub- 30's nights of the season

BS Man about Palms

still hanging in there at 42°f here in san marcos...the 5 mph steady wind is saving me here at the house....but at my dad's...i'm expecting teens....

Just hit 32f. Guess I won't have to worry if I planted my palms to close to each other anymore.

What is your dew point?

11:30 pm and 36F. I haven't covered up a single plant in my yard in several years but I may go out and throw a blanket over my two Licuala peltata and a couple of my exposed Chambeyronia. anyone ever try placing an oscillating sprinkler near the base of a larger palm, turning it on, and letting it wet the palm for the remainder of the night . My largest Howea, about 15 feet tall is in the wide open and, if it gets some tip burn or other damage, it will take a coup,e of years to grow out so I may keep the foliage sprinkled and wet all night if it looks like it's going below freezing.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

11:30 pm and 36F. I haven't covered up a single plant in my yard in several years but I may go out and throw a blanket over my two Licuala peltata and a couple of my exposed Chambeyronia. Anyone ever try placing an oscillating sprinkler near the base of a larger palm, turning it on, and letting it wet the palm for the remainder of the night . My largest Howea, about 15 feet tall is in the wide open and, if it gets some tip burn or other damage, it will take a couple of years to grow out so I may keep the foliage sprinkled and wet all night if it looks like it's going below freezing.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

44 at 7:00 pm but lo and behold only 33.1 at 3:00 am, same at 4:00 am. I expected much lower according to the Prophets of Doom.

It's of interest to note the posting times we have here. I'm up every workday at 2:00 am but on weekends I get an extra hour of sleep. I can cover that timeframe whilst you guys snooze.

Edited by Gonzer

34°F @ 4AM .

It was bouncing up and down between 32 and 36 most of the night so far.

It was directly related to air movement. At up to 5 MPH gusts I would not call it wind.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

04:30

39 degrees F, 40 to 44 nearby, according to Weather Underground. Light winds. Kentias seem to be protecting everything.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Ugh........hang in there. I feel your pain. :rolleyes:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Yikes! Seems like SD is getting this much worse than LA. I had 4C (39F) for a low yesterday, and it's 4.5C (40F) here right now...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

40°F flatline for almost the entire night.....dropped down to 39°F for an hour or so....i agree with george...the fact that there was a steady 3-5mph wind all night long contributed to higher temps for me last nite,

less than three miles away, twin oaks valley (which had no wind blowing and sits at the bottom of a cold drain) hit 30°F around 1am and pretty much bounced between there and 32°F the entire nite.

my dad's place is a whole 'nuther story....will check the hi-lo there and report.

35.8 F as the low at 6:40am in my backyard. The Wunderground station near me bottom out at 32.7 an hour ago and is rising. Like George said, we were saved with the slight breeze.

No frost.

Does wrapping plastic around the crown area really make a difference? I can post a photo next week if you don't know what I'm talking about. That's what's done around here, esp. on Sabals in commercial settings? Helpful or a scam?

Cindy Adair

Funny that I'm happy with a low of 34.3 for the night. Wind was around 2mph. No frost. The only damage I've seen so far is from me puttin up plastic to protect. My ladder fell on my pritch crown and a rock that was holding a box down that was covering my H indica fell though and damaged the crown/made it lean over.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I'll make you all feel better!

I had a low according to my backyard indicator, of 27F! that's flipping cold! It's currently 8:00am and a temp of 32F. It was 30F when I woke up this morning at 6:30. I'll take pics of the massacre that's surely taken place.

--FROSTED FINS---

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Held steady at 31.3 from 12am until 7am. Plenty of frost. That's a long night for my plants. Can't wait for the damage to start showing up.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

woke up at sunrise... looked out the window to notice there was no frost where I watered yesterday and noticed clouds inland and south...

was too tired and cold to trek out to the monitor, But I would guess not below 32 or 34F :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

it was 38 at 11 pm and I was worried, but just like others observed a consistent light wind kept temps steady and it never dropped below 38 for me thank goodness.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

My ultimate low was 31.5 out in the open. The sprinkler I turned on over a large Kentia left a sheet of ice coating a nearby Chambeyronia and a couple of Licuala peltata and the lower leaves of the Kentia. I hope that ice isn't worse than the plants being left alone. Those palms look like the citrus in Florida when the farmers soak them during a freeze.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Headed back to the mainland today. I've been watching this thread with great interest, feeling helpless to the whole thing, but sort of blissfully ignorant as well. I'm hopeful nothing is too bad. I don't think I've planted much if any frost intolerant plants since 2007, and 2007 was worse, so I'm hopeful I have a bunch of troopers at the house.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

My ultimate low was 31.5 out in the open. The sprinkler I turned on over a large Kentia left a sheet of ice coating a nearby Chambeyronia and a couple of Licuala peltata and the lower leaves of the Kentia. I hope that ice isn't worse than the plants being left alone. Those palms look like the citrus in Florida when the farmers soak them during a freeze.

I saw that the Santa Barbara orchid estate does that too. All there orchids were coated in ice. It must do something to help or I doubt they would keep doing it.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Thats interesting Jim, i'll have to look into that.

I saw that the Santa Barbara orchid estate does that too. All there orchids were coated in ice. It must do something to help or I doubt they would keep doing it.

Apparently the ice makes sure the plant will not experience temps below 32F. An "Ice jacket" if you will. Part 2 of that is to spray it until WELL above freezing Also, probably into the 40's

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Apparently the ice makes sure the plant will not experience temps below 32F. An "Ice jacket" if you will. Part 2 of that is to spray it until WELL above freezing Also, probably into the 40's
That makes sense. Thanks for the info bill.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Thanks, Bill for that last part of advice. I had turned off the water about a half hour ago but I just turned it back on since, at 9:30 it's barely 40F in the shade. I sure hope it works out for these palms. The 31.5F last night likely wouldn't have caused much, if any, damage by itself since there was no frost in my yard. We'll see.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

33°f low overnight. I have been dodging some serious bullets. I really feel for you Beaumont Tropics and Stevetoad and others who are really getting hit. Wish I could do more than feel bad.

• Upvote 1

Does wrapping plastic around the crown area really make a difference? I can post a photo next week if you don't know what I'm talking about. That's what's done around here, esp. on Sabals in commercial settings? Helpful or a scam?

Probably scam. Plastic is basically transparent in the IR spectrum. It only serves to keep the cold air outside provided the plastic does not touch the plant parts you need to protect. Plastic has a high thermal emissivity so it gives away heat fast and whatever it touches gets burned. Also it does not let humidity escape so frost still can form inside if the temps go below freezing.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

woah..

And pretty much all my... and for lots here, the "we", gained our frost/freeze knowledge after the 2007 event.. did a lot of reading . AFTER :(

woke up at sunrise... looked out the window to notice there was no frost where I watered yesterday and noticed clouds inland and south...

was too tired and cold to trek out to the monitor, But I would guess not below 32 or 34F :D

Ya big baby! nopityA.gif

Got down to 31F, but some clouds and very light wind moderated it a bit. That, combined with more canopy & older plants make this a lot less bad than 2007. I had 2 Enstete bananas back then that just melted after a 28F night; the one Enstete I now have just looks a bit tattered. So fingers crossed.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Ya big baby! nopityA.gif

so you say.. but staying up watching movies and crap till nearly 3 am.. SORRY I didn't bound out into the cold weather 3.5 hours later.. :P:)

Looks bad for me tonight. It's 8:15pm and already 36.9f. Funny thing. I'm not so upset about it anymore. I've become one with the frost.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I'm kinda over it too, I still don't want frosty to visit me though.