IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

first sub 40's of the year

Gonzer

Nothing makes me more annoyed than wind and cold.. :rant:thats why I left Colorado... That farthest western state appeals more and more during times like this..

I know they've got ranches there Bill but container ranches? BTW, the farthest western state's still Alaska last time I looked. :evil:

Nothing makes me more annoyed than wind and cold.. :rant:thats why I left Colorado... That farthest western state appeals more and more during times like this..

I know they've got ranches there Bill but container ranches? BTW, the farthest western state's still Alaska last time I looked. :evil:

I had a co-worker swear that Alaska was right next to Hawaii because of a map like this. Once we convinced her she called her mom and her mom couldn't believe it!

post-5836-0-48444300-1357850362_thumb.gi

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I had a co-worker swear that Alaska was right next to Hawaii because of a map like this. Once we convinced her she called her mom and her mom couldn't believe it!

THAT'S good!

Nothing makes me more annoyed than wind and cold.. :rant: thats why I left Colorado... That farthest western state appeals more and more during times like this..

Come back home to Florida where you belong then B)

We have AC's here too that need you help :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

this is why i love palmtalk. :wub:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I come for the palms but I stay for the conversation

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I ignored Alaska because I was so cold and hunkered down I couldn't lift my head to recognize Alaska as part of the union.

or would you rather believe I left out the word "south".. ? :rolleyes:

On a side note, I am amazed how many people do not realize how many states there are in the U S of A.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I ignored Alaska because I was so cold and hunkered down I couldn't lift my head to recognize Alaska as part of the union.

or would you rather believe I left out the word "south".. ? :rolleyes:

On a side note, I am amazed how many people do not realize how many states there are in the U S of A.

Pffff everyone knows there's 12

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Wow!!!

What part of Alaska, Jastin? I have family up there. They love it. I think they are nuts! :yay:

Anchorage, The biggest city in alaska (350,000 people). It was a great time, I lived there from 11-19. I just prefer Cali, I was born in Santa Barbara. It's a totally different world up there

44 @ 2:00am, dropped 4 degrees to 40 in 1 hour 45 minutes.. We're OK today. Here at work at the shore it seems just as cold (no thermometer).

40 f, for our low this morning. The winds kept it "warm"

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It was 50.7, 53%, and 13 mph when I went to bed at 11. Woke up and it was 32.9. light frost on roof. Bananas look good. Lowest i've ever been.

30.6f at 5:45am. the bad times are here.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I just cut down my Jacaranda so I think I'll throw a sheet over my Satakentia. This will be the first time I've protected it all three years it's been in the ground. I didn't think it would grow here, but apparently it does, so I might as well keep it going.

I was gonna ask you about that Matt, how it's doing and all. I've had one for 2 years and looks perfect.

After 3 years in the ground, from a small 2 gallon, I'd say it's doing pretty good. I kept an eye on the temps last night and decided not to cover it. I may cover it for the first time tonight if it looks like we're going to dip into the 30's.

It's been in full sun for over a month now and looks the same. I may put up some temporary shade cloth for summer, but now that the Jacaranda isn't sucking up all the water, maybe it'll be fine.

post-126-0-29197400-1357928956_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Didn't get below 40 here, but my son in Carmel Valley (San Diego) hit 33 with frost on his windshield this morning

burt repine

I forgot to mention, I had three small trees (mallow & manihot) blow over due to gusting winds over 40 MPH yesterday. No biggie, they'll grow back. It's when we get to 60 MPH when it really gets nasty and the house goes on vibration mode.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Lookin good Matt! Mine looks the same, maybe 3 leaves smaller. I was wondering when to give it full sun (if ever). Mine has seen 35 this year and 32.9 last night and so far so good.

I'm wondering about the sun thing too. Mine is on it's way this year, for better or worse, so I'll let you know.

I'm kinda getting over the novelty of having rare species that I can make survive because I have a good microclimate. Just cause I can grow Pinanga caesia (and apparently I can because I can't get it to die, it just keeps growing) doesn't mean that I wanna look at a piece of crap looking palm all the time. And things like Hyophorbe vershafeltii are getting close to my short list as well. Even though they are turning into monsters with trunk, I'm just thinking that after a certain amount of leaf burn, "who wants to look at that all year?".

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I totally agree. I'm kinda stuck now until something dies. Im just getting into my 4th year of growth and stuff is really starting to look good. I've put so much time into this stuff I would hate to loose anything. I keep telling myself that the stuff that is borderline sensitive for me will look better when it's more mature. Sure I can grow rare stuff but can I really grow it the way its supposed to look? I guess we'll never know till we try. Just look at what they said about Bentinckia condapanna when it first came around.

45f at my house at 6 pm.

Now at 9 pm I'm in La Mesa at grossmont center and it's 52 f.

W thathat's about?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I'm kinda getting over the novelty of having rare species that I can make survive because I have a good microclimate. Just cause I can grow Pinanga caesia (and apparently I can because I can't get it to die, it just keeps growing) doesn't mean that I wanna look at a piece of crap looking palm all the time. And things like Hyophorbe vershafeltii are getting close to my short list as well. Even though they are turning into monsters with trunk, I'm just thinking that after a certain amount of leaf burn, "who wants to look at that all year?".

I totally agree. I've been thinking the same thing about my Hyophorbes for a while. Maybe this winter will make them look crappy enough that I finally dig them out. On the other hand, my Braheas look f-ing awesome.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

It's 9:17pm and already 38.1f no wind at all. Fans running out back and boxes covering palms. 20 year old scotch makes me not care

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I'm not feeling crazy cold guys. Yes, the air is still, but theres ample humidity and cloudy skies.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

My temp went down to 37 now it's been climbing. I'm up to 41 now and my main unit is showing the up arrow.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

And now it's pouring out. I had to run out there to unplug my fans.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

ho crap it's sprinkling here too. I thought it felt humid. what the hell is going on?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

it's RAINING in santee right NOW???

Yes. A ton. Now all my frost protection is wet. Fml

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

ho crap it's sprinkling here too. I thought it felt humid. what the hell is going on?

I'm 9 degrees from it snowing. That's what's going on...

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Ok it's straight out hailing!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I can't chat on my phone

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

37°f at 3:30am

33°f at 6:00am in the open, 39.5 next to the house. No visible frost on any plants except a very visible frost on the grass in the side yard. The hill,like yesterday, is covered with frost.