IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

first sub 40's of the year

Gonzer

38° @ 7AM in Fallbrook

With the daytime highs becoming less and less later this week I can see trouble ahead.

Yeah George.. shows O'side with a friday high of 55F.. :( so not far to the 30F they predict that night too..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

38.5 @ 7am. Supposed to get an unusual high of 70 midweek.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Matt, Interesting what you say about the breeze making it warmer, pushing the cold down the hill. I have hills on all sides in my favor but not really any wind in the morning. So your saying even if you get an onshore breeze ( from west to east, blowin up your hill ) you will still be warmer?

If it's still, ie no wind, I will have falling, cold air rushing down my hill, thus creating it's own breeze and keeping the temps up and frost from settling. This is because I'm in the middle slope portion of a large hill.

I'm not sure what you mean about the onshore breeze except to say that any breeze is better than no breeze when it comes to our super cold lows. The air mixing keeps the extreme cold from settling on our gardens.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

That's funny you hope for a breeze--all our cold comes from wind--a still night or morning is much warmer than a windy one, in general.

Matt, Interesting what you say about the breeze making it warmer, pushing the cold down the hill. I have hills on all sides in my favor but not really any wind in the morning. So your saying even if you get an onshore breeze ( from west to east, blowin up your hill ) you will still be warmer?

If it's still, ie no wind, I will have falling, cold air rushing down my hill, thus creating it's own breeze and keeping the temps up and frost from settling. This is because I'm in the middle slope portion of a large hill.

I'm not sure what you mean about the onshore breeze except to say that any breeze is better than no breeze when it comes to our super cold lows. The air mixing keeps the extreme cold from settling on our gardens.

In surfing terms onshore means the wind is blowing on the back of the wave, making it crumbly. When it is offshore the wind blows at the face of the wave, holding it up and making a better surfable wave. So I was asking if the wind coming from the ocean to your house ( onshore ) would blow your cold air from the bottom of the hill, up to your house creating a colder temp.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

There would be no cold air at the bottom of the hill if we had an onshore breeze. The "layers" of temps, where valleys have cold air and hilltops have warmer air, only occurs when the air is very still and dry.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

There would be no cold air at the bottom of the hill if we had an onshore breeze. The "layers" of temps, where valleys have cold air and hilltops have warmer air, only occurs when the air is very still and dry.

is there any advantage to living in a hole like me!? if there is i cant find it. im thinking i might be nosing ahead for the worst microclimate in san diego.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

is there any advantage to living in a hole like me!? if there is i cant find it. im thinking i might be nosing ahead for the worst microclimate in san diego.

Yes Steve there is. You get to test all your plants cold hardiness and then tell us. You also get to have the nicest garden in your area. That all wont matter really when you get some canopy though!

Steve, your hole usually provides a certain amount of wind protection (no pun intended because we all know that your hole is full of wind), so if you can get your Archontophoenix through the cold, maybe they won't look so tattered as they do at my place. Also, that wind protection in summer translates into higher temps. Just down the hill on Sweetwater Road, in the bottom of the valley, they are usually about 5 degrees warmer than we are on hot summer days. So really, you should be growing Hyphane, Sabal, Bizzie, Cactus, Encephelartos, Rocks, Dirt, Gravel, Concrete, Asphalt, Fire, etc.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Steve, your hole usually provides a certain amount of wind protection (no pun intended because we all know that your hole is full of wind), so if you can get your Archontophoenix through the cold, maybe they won't look so tattered as they do at my place. Also, that wind protection in summer translates into higher temps. Just down the hill on Sweetwater Road, in the bottom of the valley, they are usually about 5 degrees warmer than we are on hot summer days. So really, you should be growing Hyphane, Sabal, Bizzie, Cactus, Encephelartos, Rocks, Dirt, Gravel, Concrete, Asphalt, Fire, etc.

i planted a bunch of pebbles... they wont germinate. i think they need bottom heat.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

You are one hell of a motivator Matty !

Good peptalk......

im now motivated to level my property and make a basketball court... does that count?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Two words: Magma

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

34.7f at 6:15am this morning light frost...but what else is new. chased a polar bear off my lawn this morning.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

34.7f at 6:15am this morning light frost...but what else is new. chased a polar bear off my lawn this morning.

I remember when I grew up in Alaska. My mom would get this moose to come in our garage and she would feed it.

39.2 for 20 seconds, then up to 40. Light roof frost. Forecast for Friday dropped from 35 to 34.

45 this morning. I've gotta get a hi-lo down in the canyon so I can be like you guys. :winkie:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

45 this morning. I've gotta get a hi-lo down in the canyon so I can be like you guys. :winkie:

Hey look at me, I'm Matty B! Sitting on top of a mountain with a view of all us peasants down here in the frosty lowlands.

That would work if you hadn't already mentioned that your house is on the top of the hill. I'm actually right in the middle between the valley and the peak. :winkie:

The low elevation viewed in front of me is at the bottom of Spring Valley, which is about 300 ft. and the top of Dictionary Hill behind me is 1000ft.

What elevation are you at, peasant? My house is at the top of the property at 645 ft. and the property goes down to a low of 525 ft. in the lavaka.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

im at about 450. about 1100ft behind me and 320 feet below me. problem is that santee is like a huge bowl and just fills up with cold air. my buddy is at the 320 mark and gets about 3 degrees colder than i do. any way you slice it my micro climate suuuuuucccckkkkkssss

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

That bowl effect seems to be the case for all locations that are behind a set of hills, meaning that they have an obstructed line of sight to the ocean. Santee, El Cajon, Rancho SD, Poway. Those cold, dry, offshore flow nights cause cold air to pile up behind the hills because it has no where to efficiently flow away to lower elevations. San Clemente canyon, where the 52 goes through University City, is the same way due to Mt. Soledad blocking the cold air from escaping, even though they are only a couple of miles from the ocean.

Conversely, even places like Altadena, which are 40 miles inland, stay relatively warm because they have the entire LA basin in front of them all the way out to the ocean.

Spring Valley and South-East San Diego have superior cold air drainage towards the South-West, through Bonita and the Sweetwater River watershed and out to the large flat coastal strip of National City.

post-126-0-96815800-1357681143_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That would work if you hadn't already mentioned that your house is on the top of the hill. I'm actually right in the middle between the valley and the peak. :winkie:

The low elevation viewed in front of me is at the bottom of Spring Valley, which is about 300 ft. and the top of Dictionary Hill behind me is 1000ft.

What elevation are you at, peasant? My house is at the top of the property at 645 ft. and the property goes down to a low of 525 ft. in the lavaka.

Crap, I forgot about that :mrlooney:. Im at around 380-400ft (which is pretty high for Oceanside) with at least a 50ft drop behind me and in front of me, and i'm a few houses from the top of the hill. I don't really know how to use Google Earth but here is my ocean influence. You can see the red dot at the bottom of the picture which is my house, which is next to all the other peasant's houses.

post-5836-0-32654700-1357685298_thumb.pn

Is that low spot in the upper right the 76? Cold air all flows that way doesn't it? I'm not too familiar with all the topography of North County.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

heres an up to date photo of santee

post-5835-0-85568800-1357689283_thumb.jp

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Hahahahahaha. :floor: I see some green in there on that hill. Is that your house Steve?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hahahahahaha. :floor: I see some green in there on that hill. Is that your house Steve?

no, my house is under that block of ice in the shadow.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Damn weather places keep dropping the temp forcast. Reminds me of Jan 2007. Each day showed worse. I went from 35 two days ago to two sites telling me 32 Friday night!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

37F the worst i got in my new garden, no frost so far, a super rainy winter.

32F on my first garden, free of tender stuff (but some b. alfredii).

Hey, we got above 50 today (51F) for a low. It must be Spring. :bemused:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt - The low spot in the middle of the pic is Buena Vista Lagoon, which is at the southern coastal border of oceanside and the northern border of Carlsbad. The low spot on the very right is (as a crow flies) Oceanside Blvd mostly. If you were able to fly directly to that low point you would be at Oceanside pier.

Forecast says starting Friday the highs/lows are 54/32, 57/32, 56/33, 58/32. Boxes and plastic it is! The IPhone weather is really off for me. I woke up and it said 36 when it was actually almost 46. Im usually around 2 degrees warmer than The Weather Channel app.

Steve - Isn't snow an insulator?

52.8f at 5:50am. Tonight is supposed to be 20 degrees colder.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Nothing makes me more annoyed than wind and cold.. :rant: thats why I left Colorado... That farthest western state appeals more and more during times like this..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I just cut down my Jacaranda so I think I'll throw a sheet over my Satakentia. This will be the first time I've protected it all three years it's been in the ground. I didn't think it would grow here, but apparently it does, so I might as well keep it going.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I just cut down my Jacaranda so I think I'll throw a sheet over my Satakentia. This will be the first time I've protected it all three years it's been in the ground. I didn't think it would grow here, but apparently it does, so I might as well keep it going.

I was gonna ask you about that Matt, how it's doing and all. I've had one for 2 years and looks perfect.

Nothing makes me more annoyed than wind and cold.. :rant: thats why I left Colorado... That farthest western state appeals more and more during times like this..

I couldn't agree more Bill! That's why I left Alaska. There is no purpose for wind other than to make waves :)