IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabals....whats the biggest one?

Stevetoad

im clearing out some hedges on my side yard and would like to put a HUGE sabal there. i already have a sabal domingensis in the ground and dont want 2 of the same palm. i have a riverside and bermudana in pots. what is the biggest one i can get?

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

im clearing out some hedges on my side yard and would like to put a HUGE sabal there. i already have a sabal domingensis in the ground and dont want 2 of the same palm. i have a riverside and bermudana in pots. what is the biggest one i can get?

You already have domingensis go for the causarium. Its a bit slower, but worth the wait.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Sabal yapa is a big one. But there seems to be 2 forms of this; the large form and a slender form.

Sabal uresana also is a large one and has 2 forms; silver or green.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

My first thought was also causiarum. There's one in the downtown Ft. Myers palm park that must have a trunk over 3' in diameter. It's so tall I can't get the whole palm in one photo.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

biggest or not,you GOTTA have an s.mauritiiformis.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Got one :)

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I find S. maritima very fast. I have not lost a single one in our prolonged dry season:

4-P1190761-001_zps09682321.jpg

In my opinion, if you already have one of these three: maritima, dominguensis, causiarum, then you're set. I can't tell them apart and their sizes are comparable. If you really want another and want something different than you have, you should probably wait until you can positively id yours first because they seem to be sold interchangeably.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Got one :)

excellent (mr.burns voice).

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

In my opinion, if you already have one of these three: maritima, dominguensis, causiarum, then you're set. I can't tell them apart and their sizes are comparable. If you really want another and want something different than you have, you should probably wait until you can positively id yours first because they seem to be sold interchangeably.

Maritima is big but not as big as the other two. Causiarum has ligules and dominguensis does not. Both are similar in size but I might give the edge to causiarum. The crown on dominguensis might be a bit larger... Yapa is not a big palm by any means and I saw a Sabal uresana in St. Pete that was absolutely MONSTEROUS! Combined with the silver it had, I went out and got one, that week!

Biggest to smallest: causiarum, dominguensis, uresana, maritima, mexicana/bermudana...

There is a "big" form of S. yapa. Most I see are the smaller form, similar to S. mauritiiformis. We have a big form S. yapa that is similar in size to a Bismarckia.

d1e4.jpg

img_3056.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric. that thing is AWESOME!!!

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

how much shade is it in?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

In winter it gets mostly bright shade, tree canopy is to the south of it. In summer it gets morning sun, midday shade then afternoon sun.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Wow, that palm looks nothing like the S. yapa I saw on Cozumel in 2010. How old is it?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 weeks later...

You might try sabal guatemalensis.... somewhat hard to come by but they make a gorgeous palm. The ones pictured below are outside of a condo in Houston.

post-362-0-93553200-1357002976_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

You might try sabal guatemalensis.... somewhat hard to come by but they make a gorgeous palm. The ones pictured below are outside of a condo in Houston.

Those are really nice. I never heard of those before. I ended up planting sabal uresana. But I'm still enjoying all these awesome sabal giant photos. Keep them coming.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

• 4 months later...

Guilt-free bump...

I have a question on sabals. I needed something more after 15 years of pinnate palms, so I decided to add giant palmate fronds in the landscape. I put 9 of them in the ground and I've got three more in pots.

According to the Guide to Southern California Palms, Sabal riverside is indicated as a shade to sun grower, as having some blue, and as being one of the fastest growers. Well, I put mine in partial shade, and it's essentially stalled. All my other sabals are putting on healthy growth as observed via growth lines. But not this one, and it's supposed to be the biggest leafed one after causiarum and the fastest, and the one that can start in some shade.

Going by Geoff Stein's guidebook, here's the leaf sizes and descriptions for the various sabals. I put them in order of biggest leaf size to smallest leaf size:

s. causiarum: 9'-13' green, moderate

s. 'Riverside', 11', blue-green, fastest growing sabal in CA, gradual sun

s. dominguensis: 10' slightly bluish-green, moderate

s. maritima: 10' green, slow

s. 'blackburnia': 9' deep bluish-green, moderate

s. bermudana: 6'-8' slightly glaucus, slow

s. mexicana, 8', light green, moderate

s. uresana, 8' pale bluish-green but very blue as seedling, slow

s. pumos, 7', slow

s, mauritiiformus, 6', green, moderate, gradual sun

When i look at this picture, Geoff Stein's guide is consistent:

59e7c1.jpg

But when I look at this one from a nursery in Southern California, I say, that looks like a palmetto, not s. riverside:

From http://www.ellisfarms.com/sabal-riverside

Sabal-Riverside-1-e1329926596391.jpg

So what the heck is going on here? Mis-identified?

How do you identify riverside? Legend has it that the seed comes from a single palm in riverside california. I think identification of sabals is not easy anyway, but I dont even know if taxonimists have a way to identify riverside or if they even recognize it as a separate species. I have a feeling that some of these sabals are hybrids anyway. Riverside, and blackburniana could very well be hybrids. If some are hybrids, I expect to see lots of genetic variation as many hybrids exhibit. The best way to get a big sabal is to either buy it as a juvenile where it is already showing its "big" genetics, or get seeds from a reputable source. I have had riverside, bermudana, blackburniana, causiarum, domingensis, mauritiformis, uresana. Of these I noticed that riverside did have some blue as did causiarum, less so for domingensis and bermudana. Could riverside be a domingensis x uresana hybrid? The fastest I have grown at the non trunking stage has been domingensis followed by riverside, uresana, and then blackburniana. Most sabals are known to grow faster in florida than california, though Im not sure about the hot inland cali growth rates. Speed of growth of sabals depends on heat, but some like riverside may not need as much heat to grow well. If I were in santa cruz I wouldnt put a sabal in shade and expect it to grow fast.

Tom Blank

How do you identify riverside? Legend has it that the seed comes from a single palm in riverside california. I think identification of sabals is not easy anyway, but I dont even know if taxonimists have a way to identify riverside or if they even recognize it as a separate species. I have a feeling that some of these sabals are hybrids anyway. Riverside, and blackburniana could very well be hybrids. If some are hybrids, I expect to see lots of genetic variation as many hybrids exhibit. The best way to get a big sabal is to either buy it as a juvenile where it is already showing its "big" genetics, or get seeds from a reputable source. I have had riverside, bermudana, blackburniana, causiarum, domingensis, mauritiformis, uresana. Of these I noticed that riverside did have some blue as did causiarum, less so for domingensis and bermudana. Could riverside be a domingensis x uresana hybrid? The fastest I have grown at the non trunking stage has been domingensis followed by riverside, uresana, and then blackburniana. Most sabals are known to grow faster in florida than california, though Im not sure about the hot inland cali growth rates. Speed of growth of sabals depends on heat, but some like riverside may not need as much heat to grow well. If I were in santa cruz I wouldnt put a sabal in shade and expect it to grow fast.

I am aware of all the stories around sabals and heat, but speed is a relative thing. Someone used to Florida palm growth rates would be sorely disappointed in the speed of palms in California. Someone used to palm growth rates in Southern California would be sorely disappointed in palm growth rates in Central California. It's all a function of heat unit accumulation, and so we all just adjust our expectations. I am happy with slow growing palms, all my palms are super slow. But since I enjoy the foliage so much more when they're juvenile, the lack of heat is rather convenient.

Going back to the sabals, I am getting what I consider good growth rates on all of my sabals except Riverside. It may very well be the case that I can't do sabals in the shade. Oh well, I guess I need to move this thing.

It could also be bad genetics, I wouldn't rule that out, since 'Riverside' is indeed a hybrid.

Axel,

Another aspect of the speed of sabals is that many of them seem to do better once they trunk, and most seem to need to establish the subterranean trunk before they come up to speed. In my experience domingensis seems to be less dependent in this way. Causiarum seemed to take longer and riverside and uresana are in between. My sabals in florida are all pre trunking juveniles...

Tom Blank

I have a few of these seedling I planted out. They strike me as a greener more tropical looking form of Sabal mexicana. I can't wait for all this material to get some size. JV: How's your newer garden going. If I recall, you moved a few years back.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F