IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wallichia disticha

MattyB

I haven't seen this palm in too many gardens, but it's an easy grow. I think more people should try it.

post-126-0-06044600-1354655748_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Great SoCal plant. I just won't plant Monocarpic in my garden. Well, I do have W. densaflora.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

NICE! looks like jen has you on a leash...

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

It may grow also in more northern latitudes as my example proves. A bit sensitive to strong wind at a young age but it becomes gradually more wind resistant.

post-6141-0-34535300-1354657590_thumb.jp

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have one, too, not to be left out of the club.

Slow to start, picking up speed as they grow. Dr. Darian had one about 20 feet 6.2 m tall.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Allow me please to extend somewhat this topic. Are there known several varieties of W. disticha? Reason I put this question is that next to my disticha in the above picture grows another Wallichia, that had been bought as densiflora, but it proved to be also distichous. Also leaf shape resembles that of densiflora but it shows also some differencies. It has namely a dark brown hairy stem, while the disticha has also more conspicuous a white cotton-like tomentum, and above it diferrs slightly in the growing habit. It grows at a much slower rate (the disticha in picture had been obtained as a seedling with only the eophylle while at that time the disticha/densiflora had been already a plant with pinnate fronds), it is however slightly cold hardier and considerably more wind resistant.

Stem detail of my W. distichapost-6141-0-42100000-1354659013_thumb.jp

Stem detail of the disticha/densiflorapost-6141-0-51469900-1354659079_thumb.jppost-6141-0-18105100-1354659171_thumb.jp Note the clear distichous arrangement of the fronds

Leaf detailpost-6141-0-88924900-1354659248_thumb.jp Note please how sturdy the leaf looks in contrast to the cracked pinnae of the disticha.

• Upvote 2

I would have one if i could find a decent one in a container--most I have seen were on death's door, or were way to big to be buying for a monocarpic palm...

These are easy from seed. Also just because they are hapaxanthic (monocarpic is for annuals & biennials) should not deter you from growing these. This is possibly my favorite feather palm. Everyone who sees mine wants it. My seeds were sown in June 2003 and the seedlings planted out in July 2007. The first one started to flower last year; here is my largest one:

1-HPIM8721-002.jpg

The one behind and to the left flowered fruited and died this year. However, this one flowered and we removed the inflorescences as they arrived and this has seemed to save it. It is remarkably distichous, equal to Ravenala madagasscariensis

here is a side view:

2-HPIM8722-001.jpg

and two more photos:

3-HPIM7349-001.jpg

4-HPIM7354-001.jpg

Edited by David Clulow
  • Upvote 3

I am at a loss now! The big specimens in Venezuela seem not to have a single trace of white tomentum on trunk, while on specimens of mine and Matty's this trait is very apparent. Any explanation?

Edited by Phoenikakias

I am at a loss now! The big specimens in Venezuela seem not to have a single trace of white tomentum on trunk, while on specimens of mine and Matty's this trait is very apparent. Any explanation?

You are at a loss :) Davids pics of his disticha are " exactly"how they look when grown in good conditions, then flowering and dying after a short life, Ive never seen any white tomentum on any disticha .Heres 2 shots of when disticha is in flower, ive posted these before but its butt ugly to take a pic of now as its dying. :)

post-5709-0-10505500-1354788486_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-20410800-1354788921_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

As usual, I have only babies to compare. Hover for names. Thanks so much for showing me what your mature beauties look like!

post-4111-0-48846300-1354796559_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-35545500-1354796592_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-84521800-1354796682_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

David, those are some excellent photos you posted and your tree is seemingly flawless!

Cutting the inflorescence off may be more asthetically pleasing, but it will not stave off death. I feel this is a much better alternative to Arenga pinnata; better looking IMO and less of a mechanical mess to remove. Thanks for posting, David.

David, that front and side shot were very dramatic!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I can't seem to find a decent specimen of this palm around to buy, a great palm, sure they pass on, but they are a very cool looking plant.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I can't seem to find a decent specimen of this palm around to buy, a great palm, sure they pass on, but they are a very cool looking plant.

That's my problem too, Wal.

• 2 years later...
On 4 de dezembro de 2012, 20:45:35, Phoenikakias said:

It may grow also in more northern latitudes as my example proves. A bit sensitive to strong wind at a young age but it becomes gradually more wind resistant.

Any news from this one Konstantinos?

and what about yours MattyB?

Matty's has become a monster in the septic garden. Mine is still in progress to it growing in clay soil and having to compete with other plants, let aside higher averages. I am not complaining though, it does fine. In the following days I will post an actual picture.

• Upvote 1

Here's mine exactly 3 years later.  It's 20 feet tall  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

ooohhh, and I uploaded those from my mobile phone in portrait orientation and they showed up perfect.  Nice upgrade to the forum.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Very nice Matt.  They seem to really like the SoCal environment.  Even in drought conditions?  I like this Palm.  It may be monocarpic, but does not get too big to cut down in the garden.  Besides, tastes change over time and gives you another opening for your next adventure.  Thanks for posting.

3 hours ago, Mike Evans said:

Very nice Matt.  They seem to really like the SoCal environment.  Even in drought conditions?  I like this Palm.  It may be monocarpic, but does not get too big to cut down in the garden.  Besides, tastes change over time and gives you another opening for your next adventure.  Thanks for posting.

Thanks Mike.  Keep in mind that we're always a desert (3" - 9" rain annually) so whether we're in a drought or not almost everything needs to be irrigated or it would never grow in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

My specimen was planted in the fall of 2010 from a Kevin Weaver overgrown gallon and a half, over the remains of a kitty that became coyote chow.

It's about 20+ feet tall today.

187.thumb.JPG.2a0b33ea7311ba34a053e284b8

Here's the Trucklet of Terror (Chevy S10) for scale.

189.thumb.JPG.154d19add89cb8361bc7b3bfe1

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

My specimen was planted in the fall of 2010 from a Kevin Weaver overgrown gallon and a half, over the remains of a kitty that became coyote chow.

It's about 20+ feet tall today.

187.thumb.JPG.2a0b33ea7311ba34a053e284b8

Here's the Trucklet of Terror (Chevy S10) for scale.

189.thumb.JPG.154d19add89cb8361bc7b3bfe1

:wub:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Healthy and impressive palms (MattyB's, Konstantinos' and DoomsDave's) ;)

1 year ago, got this palm from Canary Islands, labeled as caryota no.

recently, Gileno Machado said it is not. Unless, it would be wallichia disticha.

what do you think?

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

My apologies for the bad quality of the picture; it was advanced dusk 

Photo0414.jpg

Konstantinos, in which conditions are you growing it?

Rafael, you palm seems producing its first bipinnate leaf, so imo it's not a Wallichia. It shoud be a kind of Caryota. My disticha grows in the fullest possibly  sun from midday on. From its position I can see sun diving in to sea by sunset during winter. Othewise it grows in garden's native soil consisting mainly of clay and stones. You can see how sensitive it is to strong wind but if whole plant were turned 90 degrees around its axis, so that one row of leaves would point towards the white wall and the other one towards  my position as photographer, leaflets would remain almost unaffected. I say this because behind this bigger specimen grows another disticha developing leaves in the mentioned direction and its leaflets stand wind much better.

17 hours ago, Rafael said:

Healthy and impressive palms (MattyB's, Konstantinos' and DoomsDave's) ;)

1 year ago, got this palm from Canary Islands, labeled as caryota no.

recently, Gileno Machado said it is not. Unless, it would be wallichia disticha.

what do you think?

image.jpeg

Your palm looks like something other than a W. distichia.

Looks fat, robust and ready to plant. Give it plenty of vertical space and see . . . .

Here's another picture of the Wally D in broad daylight

193.thumb.JPG.d5d6b9be9cb61507bd064c09bf

Sidewise, not as dramatically disticious as the others, but Wally D I think.

192.thumb.JPG.f4d183067f7387e60d5bb50393

With Trucklet of Terror for scale.

194.thumb.JPG.ff79dcf8f4585048f36401e31c

• Upvote 3

Also it is one of my favorite palms. So much so that I made a detail in only wall toplant it. I planted parallel to the wall, but it turned. It position follows the sun even?5664ca78e5d80_Walichiadisticha002.thumb.5664caa7dd272_Walichiadisticha007.thumb.5664cae1825c3_Walichiadisticha008.thumb.

• Upvote 3

Caixeta

• 1 year later...
On 04/12/2012, 21:45:35, Phoenikakias said:

How is this one doing? Frost sensitive?

• Upvote 1

how's your palm Rafael?