IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Florida Winter Outlook

gsytch

42.8F this morning. Topped 50 a little after 9 a.m.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

36.8°F in my yard. Mid to high 30's widespread all over Orlando but the oddballs Orange Ave and South OBT stayed above 40°F. I'd line those streets with coconuts. Or else they are misplacing their temperature sensors.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

44F here, 40 at my girlfriends in Altamonte Springs to the north

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

May this thread RIP. Tonight (Thursday night) will be the last time for temps below 50 for central and south florida until next November or December. In another couple of weeks you'll be wishing for this cool weather.

May this thread RIP. Tonight (Thursday night) will be the last time for temps below 50 for central and south florida until next November or December. In another couple of weeks you'll be wishing for this cool weather.

The vast majority of Floridians do not ever wish for cold weather like this. That's why we're in Florida. Most here agree that somewhere around 72 is the downward breakpoint for discomfort. If you like cold weather, you move to Colorado!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I guess my standards have changed since moving away from FL. I no longer think of the 40s as cold. Around here, more than half the year we don't see overnight lows as high as the 40s. It would probably be a difficult adjustment if I moved back there now. I do miss the beaches and the warm ocean tho, and being able to leave the windows open at night most of the year. And of course, the palms...

Edited by displaced_floridian

I'm above a low of 55. Good luck you up north. I'm done with this thread. :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

You know there is weather, and there is climate. I read somewhere that anyone under 27 years old has never experienced a colder than normal year, on a global climate scale. I can tell you for sure, that you have never experienced cold in the Southeast, colder than 1989, and that was 23 years ago. Do not let the current 20 year trend fool you into complacency? Climate change or not, and I don't want to debate it or its cause, we will have cold swings, and some will really really swing.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

My yard is showing some effects. Some heliconias were toasted a couple of weeks ago and the caladium leaves that are up look dispirited. They're kind of wilted. The palms and bromeliads are looking fine. A 6' Chameadorea is going to have a whole waterfall of flowers.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

My small coconut palm made it through this winter unscathed. However, K deficiency has really kicked in over the last month. The two bottom most fronds are totally brown now and fronds three and four are showing lots of orangish leaves, with necrotic tips. I wish now I had of fertilized it a month earlier. I gave it a shot of 8-2-12-2.5 mg. about two weeks ago. I have some 0-0-62 I will spread today in hopes of mitigating further K deficiency to the older fronds.

Mad about palms

I wouldn't doubt there will be some more upper 40s/low 50s in central FL the first half of April this year.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I think I saw more plant growth in January/early February than during March. Also for the 2nd winter in a row the lawn has stayed green (no sprinklers here). Apparently we've gotten more rain than the west coast of FL. I've experienced a few precipitation events this winter enough to not be bone dry and one or two events it rained on two consecutive days - two weeks ago was one.

My large mango tree has developing fruit together with now ANOTHER flush of flowers (really really weird) three months later - anyone with a mango seeing the same? If that means the season will be 2-3 months longer I'm loving climate change.

This could be like the 1996 spring which was another cool one. Of course that was a while back and I can't recall exactly, but I think Orlando saw 50s in April and into May

post-1729-0-45228800-1364574122_thumb.jppost-1729-0-54369500-1364574175_thumb.jppost-1729-0-12146700-1364574206_thumb.jp

Yes - I am seeing that happening on my Hayden Mango. These pictures were from 9 days ago, the re-flowering is more intense now. Some tiny mangos observed - just curious if the second flowering will set the fruit?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

post-1729-0-80389200-1364574431_thumb.jppost-1729-0-43169700-1364574478_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-43169700-1364574478_thumb.jppost-1729-0-80389200-1364574431_thumb.jp

The Keitt mango is doing the same thing. These photos also taken 9 days ago. The flowering has increased in intensity. The Keitt is a late season cultivar, harvest is Aug - Sept. Its way ahead of schedule with the first fruit :wacko:

My large mango tree first flowered in late Dec which is way earlier than normal. There are just a few fruits that have started developing so I figured it was taking a year off, but this week its putting out a second much larger flush. Apparently second flowerings are rare but not unheard of.

Im going to give the tree a nice big feeding this weekend and up the K to try to maximize my yield.

Interesting and thanks for sharing that! I've personally never observed this before. Must have been the reversed warm January and persistent cold from late February through all of March that resulted in this 2nd flush of flowers. Only time I've seen a 2nd flush is when the first has been burned off by an early freeze. There's plenty of fruit and plenty of flowers together and if these develop into fruit my tree should produce past July/August into September or October??? :drool:

This year mine started flowering normally around late December-January period. However a season or two ago it began in November! - which is way early.

Hmmm, what new outlook can be had from last winter? :bemused:

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 2 weeks later...

:indifferent: Temps are predicted to drop into the 40s for central and north Florida late next week

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

:indifferent: Temps are predicted to drop into the 40s for central and north Florida late next week

And it was 93F here in Palm Harbor today!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

What forecasts are showing this?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Only Accuweather is predicting a drop, and from what I am seeing its more like 72/52 for a day or two. However, with all the cold air up north (Fargo ND has yet to hit 50F this spring) it is not surprising. Hot here, little rain. Sun eve had about 1/4" and that has been it for a week or so. :yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Hmmm, what new outlook can be had from last winter? :bemused:

It will be a Look Out !!! winter. I think we may be in for a harsh one based on "were due".

Unless a Catagory 4+ hurricane strikes 1st, we are due there too. :badday:

The next winter often starts the way the previous one ended. The end of February and most of March this year were well below normal. I agree we'll be due for an uglier one next year.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 3 weeks later...

After about a week of constant rain, it is noticeable cooler this morning, at 70°F. Mid 50's in the next couple of days.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Low 60s, Low 80s today and next few days. Low humidity too. Unusually pleasant and dry for early May. It has yet to top 90F on the Isabelle Canal. I am with the consensus that figures on a nastier winter next year.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I just want summer to have decent rainfall. I'll look at next winter...next winter! 62F this morning and has not topped 80F since Saturday..in May? Nice rains last week, about 2" + inches, but now it is dry and the outlook is poor for more rain. Rain rain oh come back! :)

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

After a toasty Sunday (91°F) it dropped to 55°F this morning. Drove to work at 4:00 AM and it really felt chilly. Probably the last winter weather pattern we'll see for a while.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

:greenthumb: I noticed north Florida had record lows in the 40s this morning!

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

A low of 55.6F in May? Again a cool morning and such low humidity. Beautiful blue skies, but it is getting dry again. After some decent rains to begin the month (and I missed the heaviest) it is getting very dry. Rain please? :yay: