IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Spring

Daryl

Big storm heading straight for Wal at the moment.

Hope it's just rain and not too bad a wind.

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Good steady rain now! New foliage in the ground soaking it up. Gotta love summer nights in qld. Plus new downpipes connected yesterday filling up the tank! Good times

Bugger all rain for my garden so far today, 3.4 mls....... another storm front about to move through this area though..... Second chance for today..... Fingers crossed!

My work on the other hand had super strong winds, almost cyclone / hurricane like and 23 mls (nearly an inch i think?) Some damage caused around Brisbane CBD and it's surrounds.

Heavy activity currently heading in your general direction Wal, hope you get heaps of rain and your garden soaks it up, without damage!!

Yes Ben, we have had some lovely steady rain from last night till this morning, just starting to ease. No heavy storm stuff so the scarecrow is till standing.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We missed most of the heavy stuff...looks like Brisbane copped a lot of rain in that storm last night. We ended up with 21mm for Saturday which is still better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

No, not a drop today...plenty of rumbles and threatening skies but it all headed to Brisbane I think...

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I saw on the news this morning that SE QLD had 95000 lightning strikes over the weekend...and parts of Brisbane had over 100mm of rain...half their luck!

Daryl

Season outlook for Queensland has changed again:

• a wetter than normal season is more likely for southeast Queensland
  • a drier than normal season is more likely for the northern half of Queensland

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

Forecast high on Tuesday of 39C in Brisbane. I wonder what I will lose. How's calyptrocalyx heat tolerance?

38.4C yesterday and humidity in the teens percentage wise. Had 2mm of rain overnight and thunderstorms possibly heading our way. Had a min around 20C and humidity at 85%. Palms opening up leaves after a warm humid night.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

At my place currently (4:30PM) it's 37.7, relative humidity 51%, dew point 25.7 and heat index 48.6.

But we've been getting temps in the high 30's since about mid August so it's really only marginally hotter. Pity the poor people who live mostly in airconditioning but have to go out in this.

Heat distress on the Ptychosperma salomonense (1.5m tall), Areca vestiaria (40cm), Ptychosperma microcarpum (1m), and 2x Chambeyronia macrocarpa (40cm), after 2 days of 38C / 10-20% humidity. The arenga and coccothrinax seedlings kicked their growth into high gear and must really love it warm. All with heat distress had been well watered on the first of the two hot days, but that apparently was not enough.

The Areca vestiara is likely toast, while the rest should recover. All but the 2 Ptychosperma were under 40% shade cloth, with ambient light of around 40-50Klux.

I guess we are not technically in "Spring" anymore. Someone should start a summer thread.

• 2 months later...

Forecast for se qld is showers increasing to rain mon and easing tues! Got a massive bag of organic extra at the ready! Super pumped