IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Philodendren salom

PalmGuyWC

I have some Philodendren saloms that have grown up and they are blocking the view from my kitchen window. How do they do if one cuts off about a foot or two of the old stem? Will the old base grow new foliage and if so how long does it take? Also any hints on how to root the growing tips? I'll cut back to old wood.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I have some Philodendren saloms that have grown up and they are blocking the view from my kitchen window. How do they do if one cuts off about a foot or two of the old stem? Will the old base grow new foliage and if so how long does it take? Also any hints on how to root the growing tips? I'll cut back to old wood.

Dick

Dick,

The only way I know that will work is to divide at the rootball,...no fun for sure....

I think there may be a chance to root the top cutting if you want to try and use a rooting hormone...I do not think that it could be done usinf ote methods, but I am wrong a lot.

Since this plant does shoot up multiple trunks from the rootball, it seems that division is the only way to propagate. If you top it, you may end up with a stump.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

If there are roots above where you cut, just stick back in the ground and they will grow. Here is FL they grow into giant shrubs. The cut area will usually pup out or send new shoots from below. Fertilize lightly.

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Dick,

Glad you are back in Jax they are blown down the tops break and they will bud mid trunk or higher. Its real hot here tho. I have cut tops and placed in the ground and they root also --- again this is from Fl where its hotter than the blue blazes at time.

Best regards

Ed

I would literally be laughed out of the industry if I tried doing this. Nobody, and I mean nobody ever trims these back and saves the head. The bottom part of the plant would look too "chopped" and the head would be ,IMO, too heavy and big to try and root it. And why??? These can be bought really cheap, their full and would make a nice plant as they get bigger.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

"Also any hints on how to root the growing tips?" throw them on the ground and ignore them, they will grow fine.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

It can be hard to root tops of Meconostigma type Philos . Unless you have a few new roots that have not grown into the ground they often languish and eventually cark it . I have tried with some special speciosum trunks that lost a fight with a tractor . Only 1 out of 5 took . Leland from Hawaii recomends to root the top before cutting . Be carefull with the new roots as they can be fragile . Partially cutting threw trunk can often lean it out of the view . This can stimulate basal shoots as well . Selloum or bipinnatifidum is so common , its usually not worth bothering about . Its the more entire leaf spp. or select hybrids that are worth propagating .post-354-0-22047400-1342085466_thumb.jpg This is stenolobum x bipinnatifidum and most leaves have antlers .. gonna call it Bullwinkle .

One option is to trim off many of the leaves to let some light in . These can often have 20 leaves , and when low many lay on the ground when old . Just keep 4-5 leaves and once it gets a bit taller you will really appreciate it .Its a 'tree' Philo , turn it into one ;-)

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.