IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

It's hot in Brisbane

Walter John

hot and sticky here, even without rain the palms are going bananas and the bananas are going cheaper, finally.

Might get rain at the end of the week on Australia day. Might win a million dollars too.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

38C by the weekend here. Monday is meant to be 23C to 38C. Hopefully a thunderstorm will ensue. We can only hope.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wow ... i want also that hot tempeture's again... let's pray i have got a summer like last summer with also a lot of day's aroun the 30C and some day's around the 35C :)

Robbin

Southwest

We got rain finally. Now it's stickier than before, yeh, gotta love it. Brisbane, man, this is the place, home of the broncos who are off to England soon to play St Helens for the world club championship. No helmets folks and where world means another country is involved. Maybe just one, but still.

I don't know how I'm going to pay the next electricity bill for this air-con I (my wife really) has running.

Yep, it's hot in Brisbane, but it's Coolangatta.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

The pouring rain just woke me up early, I had to connect another pipe to my rainwater tank for the overflow to another spare barrel, man, this is just beautiful. Palms are in heaven.

Forecast for Monday Evening

Cloudy periods with occasional showers and local thunder.              

Forecast for Tuesday

Cloudy periods with occasional showers and local thunder.                          

Bayside:      Min 21    Max 27

Wednesday     Few showers   Min 21    Max 29

Thursday      Few showers       Min 21    Max 29

Friday        Shower or two        Min 21    Max 29

Saturday      Shower or two     Min 21    Max 29

Sunday        Shower or two      Min 21    Max 28

Monday        Shower or two      Min 20    Max 28

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

wal what does "coolangatta" mean?teach me some aussie! :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(pohonkelapa @ Feb. 13 2007,03:36)

wal what does "coolangatta" mean?teach me some aussie! :P

That's a town on the Gold Coast strip, on the border of the states of Queensland and New South Wales. Just a silly place name word thingy.

One might say it's clay in Brisbane but it's San Diego.  Then again, one may not :D  :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Coolangatta is on the Gold Coast & has some great surfing  :cool:

Wal

Those temps are perfect & are similar to Santa Monica during summer.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Wal, you are living in heaven. Here I have to create my own rain, thanks to my new bore I put down on the weekend. I had to go deeper cos my old one was too shallow and the water table dropped. The spear is now in bedrock at the bottom of the aquifier, very close to the artesian cap (bore guy was getting worried, cos if we broke thru I'd be living in a lake and so would all me neighbours, but no need for a pump, just a 20m geyser). Your minimums and dewpoints are what I aspire too. Oh for a few less degrees of latitude........

At least it's not low 40C's here. We had a run of 4 days well above 40C. We're back to low 30's now, but the mins are a bit cool at 16,17C.

Regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wal, good to see the Bureau got it wrong again. A 'few showers' turned into almost 100mm (4") last night. Boy, was I glad with that mistake! Garden is loving it.

Brian, Cooly is also the home of Rabbit, MP, PT and Occy (kinda).

Daryl

post-42-1171374075_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wal,

Being at the same opposing latitude as Brisbane, will you please overnight some heat to Tampa?

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Sorry Ray,

It's like that calendar, we don't do international climate postages.  :laugh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sorry Ray, you've gotta WAIT...LOL!

For those of you who surf, the local breaks are going off here BTW...

Gold Coast Surf Today

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

You guys are sticklers eh?

Dear Ray, you had your chance to know for sure, that's all I can say. I'll be back in a minute, just gotta empty the rain gauge, better put my hat on, it's another stinker out there  :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

Here she comes, looks like a fall in the catchment area too.

post-51-1173348337_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

That's a nice sight to see on radar eh?

Ray

We've had 3 days above 40C. Around 41C Mon, 42C Tuesday, 42.4C Wed, and a cool 39C today. Min's around 25-27C. Record heat for March in Perth. Carnarvon had 48C on Tuesday and the last two days around 45C. Carnarvon set an Australian heat record for March, being the hottest March temp ever recorded.

Cyclone George is battering the NW near Port Hedland at the moment, but will not affect us with any rain. :( This morning they predicted it's path to cross near Perth before it took a 90 degree turn South. Probably better that it didn't come our way. There's another one out near Xmas Island, so maybe that will come near the west coast.

Tyrone

• 2 months later...

Seems early for such an event, right Philip  :P

Nothing but late spring gloom w/ cool temperatures in SoCal.  Helps soil retain moisture.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW