Whatchacallit

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Here's a pic of a plant that's gotten a good foothold in my dive, and it appears to be a member of the ginger family.  Will it take sun?  I'd like to dig it up and move it, it's turning into a demi-Hun. . . .

dave

normal_DSCF0021.JPG

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a closeup of my ape-like mitt at what appears to be something that will root if planted . . . .

Will it?

dave

normal_DSCF0012~1.JPG

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Its a Ctenanthe oppenheimiana-I'm pretty sure. Maybe the hardiest of the whole  Ctenanthe/Calathea/Maranta and related prayer plants. Also called Giant Bamburanta. I have it too.Nice plant.

Thanks stan!

Will it take sun?  Can I cut that part off and root it?

dave

I have the plant in partial sun (afternoon) and filtered sun. The filtered son position seems to show crisper variegation. The partial afternoon sun position seems to stay more yellow despite water adjustments and fertilizer. Your plant in the shade is greener than either of mine in Huntington Beach. I have successfully rooted this plant several times in containers (cut the foliage in half).

John Mendoza

Landscape Designer, Owner

Tropical Vibe Nursery and Landscape

www.tropicalvibe.com

-Full Landscape design and installation

-Wide variety of palms and tropicals, centrally located in Orange County

-Complete line of garden care products available everyday

Cut them just below where your hand is in the picture so you jave a couple of inches of single stem. Mosit soil in the shade, they root like crazy.

My last house they almost turned on me, into a pest!

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Thanks everyone!

Let the rooting begin!

dave

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, i  think its actually  C. lubbersiana "Brazilian Snow"...there is some confusion on the two Ctenanthes-people are mixing names and even getting me confused.Just be glad it wasn't medical advice i gave you!

Stan?!

Medical advice?  Oh, yeah, I know about doctors . . .

dave

I have some in a pot & a cutting growing in the garden. I was thinking of leaving it to over winter w/ some protection. How cold hardy is it?

Happy Gardening

Tony!

Nice to meet you!

You're from Oklahoma!  Hope the tornadoes are wimpy to nonexistent this year.  I'll never forget that Olds Toronado perched in a tree off the Will Rogers Expressway . . . .

Hmm.  DO you ever see the teensy little Sabal minors they use to make those little Palm Sunday crosses?

As for the ginger, not sure how hardy for OK.

dave

Tony- I know John Denti from Charlotte had some sitting out on his porch for 2 winters now. I think it rolls up when the temps are in the 20s, but it returns. Not sure exactly how low it will take.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery