IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Visit to Gary Levine's palmscape

palmcurry

For awhile now I've heard much about this place from fellow palm nuts and here on this website. High in the hills of Escondido San Diego, California with good decomposed granite soil and about 10 -12 miles inland, this place has optimuim SoCal conditions for palms. Gary was nice enough to let me come over this Saturday and Here is what I saw. Not the best lighting or season for photography but here goes.

levine3-10-12-LevinePalmRanch.jpg

These photos are just a portion of Gary's grove. Many plants left out. When first entering the property this big Dypsis decipiens greets you.

levine3-10-12-1.jpg

Another bigger one.

levine3-10-12-1Dd2-1.jpg

Parajubaea sunkha or torallyi....not sure. My ID's are never great.

levine3-10-12-2P-sunkha.jpg

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Nice pictures Vince.... hope there's more to come!!!

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

It was nice having you Vince.

The Parajubaea is Microcarpa, the baja plant is a Boojum Tree.

Hope to see you again,

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Vince, post number 7 the palm starting with "B" is actually Hyphanae Petersoniana.

The Pritchardia is Viscosa, the becarriana is in the distance behind it.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Great photos of lovely palms! Interesting too because I can see palms that I think in general won't grow well for me. I grow the Roystonia and Teddy Bears and a few others, but most of the other ones would be too cold in Virginia and too wet in the Puerto Rican mountains. So I'll have to admire these species when I visit California. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Adair

wow! wow!!! wow!!! Gary has an incredible yard! I wish I could see it for myself! One day!

I'm always up for learning new things!

levine3-10-12-38Dmealy3.jpg

Forgot this one. Mealybug palm on the left.

levine3-10-12-33Foxies6.jpg

Young jube.

levine3-10-12-44jube.jpg

One of the many mule crosses Gary has. I believe this one is called F2.

levine3-10-12-45muleF2.jpg

Thats it for this cycle. Thanks Gary for your time. This place really shows what you what is possible!

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Thank you for all of the photos! It was a great sample of palms!

I'm always up for learning new things!

I don't know why you're so hard on yourself Vince,i thought the photos were Outstanding to say the least! :drool: .Lovely setting there Gary,good to see the palms growing well especially after that dreadful bushfire you experienced some time ago.A definite Must See if i'm ever able to make it to the USA some day...Cheers Mike Green(Newcal) :)

Thank you for sharing! Wow, lots of really large, rare palms. The Foxy Lady's are incredible. :drool:

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Thanks vince for some mouth watering pics of Gary's Garden - I can see alot of growth from Sept 2010 - today .

Dypsis decipiens and Hedyscepe :drool: is all i can say !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Whoa, I'm speechless (almost). What a great place with fantastic palms. That Pseudophoenix is the fattest I've ever seen. The Ravenea xerophila is the biggest I've seen in the US. I'm surprised at how many Dypsis can grow in an arid climate under blazing sun. Thanks for the photos.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Palms boulders and a mountain background, sweet. I bet keeping all those drip lines going is a full time job.

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Vince,

Thanks for the great pictures! Gary has an outstanding garden with spectacular palms, and I was fortunate to visit him in early December 2011 so I can relate to your experience. :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks Vince and Gary, I loved the Raveneas, a great palmscape, all looks terrific. The mad foxes by the way are Dypsis marojejyi.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

WOW, what a contrast. Beautiful mature palms & boulders the size of houses. I would have never thought you could grow these in such a harsh environment. I do not see any mulch? What a great garden Gary. Thanks for posting Vince. Love those rocks!

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and Vince for posting the pictures.

Mike, I do not mulch except for areas subject to erosion. Mulch provides a medium for bacteria and fungus to proliferate, I prefer the surface to dry out between waterings.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary's garden is a superlative achievement! Someday I'd love to see it.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Vince,

Thanks for taking the time to post all these great pictures. I hope you have more.

Gary,

Since my last visit, I can definitely see the growth that the palms have made. You have some impressive palms growing in the collection. And still love all the big boulders!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Nice specimen palms. Thanks for the photos.

I was thinking the same thing. Where's the mulch? " Mulch provides a medium for bacteria and fungus to proliferate" Since when is that a bad thing for plants?

You obviously know what you are doing in growing palms, but mulch would be a little more ornamental and would help the palm stick out better. Plus, less watering requirements and would prevent drying out. Which is what I would think

would be ideal living in a desert climate.

But, I don't garden on a hill with erosion, so excuse my comments if mulch is a maintenance nightmare.