IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The first official freeze?

Gonzer

The Santa Claus winds must have been moving at least a little. I only got down to 38 with no frost. biggrin.gif

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Looks like the freeze event was a 'no show' due to warmer air advection from off the Pacific and more wind than what was predicted. But Oceanside, Temucula, Murrieta, Corona, etc did drop to freezing. My relative in Tierrasanta\ San Diego reported some light frost below the mesas in the Admiral Baker golf course but only 47F\8.3C at his location.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

This morning's low of 32F is my coldest since 2007. It's a dry 32 though with no frost but I'm sure my exposed bananas and heliconia are going to look a little sad soon. I doubt anything else will be fazed though. Nightime temps here are forecast to moderate to the 40's and even the 50's over the next several nights.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Woke up at 5-5:30 and it was 41F. Either the weather forecast is always way off or I'm just in a good spot! It's crazy that a zip code away can be a 11 degree difference...

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I don't measure my temperatures here, but I walked around the garden today and everything looks good. Then again, everything has been in the ground for quite sometime and I have a fair amount of canopy, so presumably that helps.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

My backyard looks sad but my front yard looks ok. I just started putting palms out back in August so I think that's my biggest problem.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

1324761638' post=504134]

Santee, that's all I have to say Steve

I think I'm going to invest in some larger king palms come spring. I didn't want more than 3 of the same palm but if I don't build up some canopy I'll be hurting next year too.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

My night time lows have been at or around freezing for the past 3 weeks. This will be the 3rd morning around 27F. We have been under this dome of high pressure with no cloud cover. Days have been nice with temps in the low to mid 60's.

Dick

Richard Douglas

What a difference a year makes. Last year Tampa Bay was freezing all month. This year, Xmas eve tied a record at Tampa Int'l at 83F with a foggy start of 67F. This was the fifth straight day of 80F or higher and today is looking similar. When California goes down, Florida seems to go up. Now if only Coconuts would grow here! Greg :D

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

It's hit freezing just about every day for a week so far. Chambyronia is the only palm to be affected. Thank God for bromeliads!

It's hit freezing just about every day for a week so far. Chambyronia is the only palm to be affected. Thank God for bromeliads!

not to be debbie downer or anything...but sometimes (as i am sure you know gonz) you don't see the affect the cold has on palms til a few weeks later.....been VERY cold every nite in vista for over a week now....ficus actually got the worst of it so far.

its been warm

any of you guys in southern cali watering again ???

I've watered the past 2 weeks, once a week. Need to get more mulch

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

• 2 weeks later...

Last night’s temp variance was pretty amazing. Valley Center and Escondido sitting at 60F this morning while Oceanside airport was at 29F. Shoot, just the difference from my front yard to back (20 level ft.) was almost 10 degrees! I little canopy goes a long way :blink:

Carl

Vista, CA

Last night's temp variance was pretty amazing. Valley Center and Escondido sitting at 60F this morning while Oceanside airport was at 29F. Shoot, just the difference from my front yard to back (20 level ft.) was almost 10 degrees! I little canopy goes a long way :blink:

i hit 33 last night. i hope it doesnt stick around!

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

PNW is getting clipped by a canadian cold front tonight and for the next three days, low 30's tonight with highs only mid 30's big chance of snow tomorrow! :unsure: Back to Rain Tuesday night. :mrlooney: