IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer Down Under

Pedro 65

Good falls today , guessing 300/mm or so .. thats how deep it is around most of the back yard :unsure:

Your Lippy is getting a good drink Wal ..post-354-093995100 1330493493_thumb.jpg

post-354-026423700 1330493567_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hard to imagine that amount of rain falling from this side of the continent.

We've had a warm and more humid summer than usual. Traditionally this is a bone dry time of the year, but we've had the odd thunderstorm come through and that has kept things hydrated a bit. There's still green in unwatered grass areas around the place.

It's been a bit cooler and drier lately (low 30's) as the winds have turned easterly off the continent, so the nights have dropped back into the teens, but it does make sleeping easier without the need for air conditioning all night. SST's are up so once the wind shifts around from the west the humidity goes way back up again.

The garden has loved this summer and my Golden Torch Heliconias have flowered for the first time. The last couple of summers the leaves just burnt off and I was going to pull them out and try something else. This year they grew flawlessly and flowered.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Have fun with that Michael!!!.....all that weather missed us up here!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I got the humidity and now the awful heat (33 today) but none of the rain. A total of 38mm fell on my place for the month of february. Dunno what is going on, it comes over then splits north and south while staying dry overhead.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

A bit of a March heatwave here. It got to 38, 39C here today.

Precis: Very hot. Sunny. City: Min 22 Max 38Mandurah: Min 22 Max 36UV Alert: 8:50 am to 4:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 10 [Very High] Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: VERY HIGH Hills: VERY HIGH Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 20 Max 29Thursday Sunny. Min 16 Max 33Friday Hot. Sunny. Min 18 Max 37Saturday Hot. Sunny. Min 22 Max 38Sunday Hot. Mostly sunny. Min 23 Max 37Monday Hot. Sunny. Min 23 Max 36

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone, as pretty as Perth is , I would be dead after a couple of days of those temps. Last week here put me on the deck for days. Finally had a bit of rain, 20mm on sunday and 7 yesterday. No major growth spurts this year, just too dry and the sprinkler couldnt keep up with the demand. Lost a couple of things but thems the breaks.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I'm sick of the heat, and the copious traffic that lasts from before morning peak hr to after the evening peak hr should normally end. Non ending peak hr in Perth. Best time to drive is after 10pm and before 4am when at least it's less than 30C.

Can barely work in this.

Tomorrow is a cool one. 31C. Planting up a garden in the hills which is on solid clay and rock. Yae!

Another hot sticky day, unpleasant as it was at least the sun made an appearance for the first time in weeks. Going to be even hotter tomorrow. At least the nights are starting to cool down a little.

Peachy

27.35 south.

It got to 40.4C today around 2C more than forecast. Tomorrow is forecast 40C than 37C on Mon. Can't do anything outside in this weather. May get to 42, 43C tomorrow. Down the beach tomorrow night me thinks.

Wow.... that's hot, Tyrone. Stay inside and stay cool, I think..... Huge storm last night... everything is so green and full of weeds!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Wow.... that's hot, Tyrone. Stay inside and stay cool, I think..... Huge storm last night... everything is so green and full of weeds!!!

I envy your huge storm lastnight Ari. The pictures you posted on Facebook of it approaching were beautiful. The last bit of rain we had was from a nice big electrical storm on Australia Day. Unbelievable.

With the warmth we've had for two summers now, I'm collecting seed off my own palms now. Caryota mitis has given me a good crop and now my Golden Canes have seed going yellow. Not the most collectable palm, but they would be one of the most commonly planted here in Perth now, so they will be good in my landscapes. A nice big foxtail around the corner has seed going from yellow to bright orange, so I may go and knock on their door and see about acquiring some. My big Dypsis leptocheilos tried flowering too.

regards

Tyrone

Good 150mm of rain in the Daintree yesterday... most falling after lunch, so makes for good planting times in the morn! Everything is so green and lush and everything is growing like crazy. January was just above average, Feburary was under, but we're making up for it this month! The less than average rainfall has be great - have got lots done in the garden, but still haven't had to water. Tropics for life!

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Got to 41.1C today officially. Driving around this arvo and the car outside temp said 43C at one point. It's fairly accurate too. Humidity was very low. Record number of heatwaves this year. 8 of them. I think today was the hottest day this year.

Positively cooler tomorrow and 37C. Then humidity rises and low thirties for the rest of the week. Going for a very warm March.

It got to 40.6C today and it felt every bit of it. So much for the cool 37C forecast. Humidity should start to rise now.

It is raining so heavily out there at the moment. The tropical low has gone south, so won't impact Darwin as far as wind is concerned. I hope we still get the rain though... I just hope this is not the last hoorah before the dry season. What a horrible wet season this year.... so hot and less than average rain fall. So, might as well bring the dry... at least we don't get the heat that way :rolleyes:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

• 2 weeks later...

Rained nearly all day but still only got 13mm in 24 hours. Still, better than nothing I guess.

Peachy

27.35 south.

You got out of it lightly Peachy, we have had over 300mm here in the past few days.....the place is soaked !!!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Another very dry week, had to put the sprinklers every day. Comfortable days about 25c and lovely cool nights. No wind either, its so quiet I can hear the Holdens rusting.

Peachy

27.35 south.

A little higher than average rainfall for March :rolleyes: just a little over 1m , bringing year to date in at a bit over 2m . Not a drop for 2 days so better drag out the hoses :mrlooney:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I think this is it for us.... maybe another storm they call knock-em down and it will be dry season!!! Oh well.... hopefully there is no heat associated with it.... and hopefully not too much single digit temperature. What a shocking wet season this one has been!! Let's wipe the slate clean and try again in Sept.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I'm with you Ari, summer is definetly over here. Chilly nights, dry winds with sunny days. Nice to be walking around but not ideal for the palms. But i guess we can't have all the fun. Now it's your turn northern hemisphere...

Edited by NApalm

Over here too. Had 9C as a min this morning and the cloud is back. It's not summer anymore. But it is pleasant human weather. :)

Yet another bone dry day. Palm growth has been minimal this year and quite disappointing. Got to 29 by noon, just want I dont need, hot days to dry the place out even more. Surely the weather gods must realise I have better things to do than hold a hose all bloody day.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Time for an Autumn thread methinks...

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!