IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer Down Under

Pedro 65

chunder and frightening :rolleyes:

tully might win the record rainfall yet

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

36C today. 38C tomorrow. Retic is going at the moment.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Got just shy of 40C today. 39.9C and dry as. Had to install some Palmetto lawn today as well. Watered it constantly.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Going for 39C today. It was 35C at 9.45am. The heat up has slowed down a bit as we are around 37C at 11.40am. Could get a thunderstorm or two tonight. I hope so.

Cool and rain periods but nice at the moment, 20C downstairs in the shade.

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Tyrone you can keep that awful heat all to yourself. Here it's still incredibly humid and averaging around 30, but not any rain falling on my place. I was digging a hole yesterday, flooded it to soften the ground a bit, and every drop was absorbed within minutes, so it must be very dry on the surface 40cms or so. The nights are cooler but still very sticky and uncomfortable. I need a 3 man crew working double shifts to catch up with the feeding, weeding and watering. Decided to keep it alive as best as I can and if it looks like hell then so be it.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Going for 39C today. It was 35C at 9.45am. The heat up has slowed down a bit as we are around 37C at 11.40am. Could get a thunderstorm or two tonight. I hope so.

What are the humidity levels like at these temps, Tyrone?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

What are the humidity levels like at these temps, Tyrone?

Dewpoints are single digits and so is the RH when that happens. But those days were followed by low 30's and Dewpoints around 20,21C. Has been really hot humid and sticky the last couple of days. I can handle 40C with 5% RH as you almost don't sweat believe it or not. 30C and 60% RH and you just drip.

Lastnight we had mins around 20, 21C and RH as high as 96%. The clouds were quite low and "building up" to something. Severe thunderstorms are now occuring to the south and east of me with warnings current. We'll miss out on the action though. Reportedly hail is forecast. The poor guys in the wheatbelt if they haven't harvested yet will just want to plow it all back in now. It's been a shocking wet harvest season for them.

I think Grant has ruined the weather somewhat... We haven't had our monsoon trough yet and it is January. Usually it gets here at Christmas. I have huge things planned for this season.... a lot of planting as my shadehouse needs a clean out. Then I have to take the shadecloth out of the old shadehouse to put in the new shadehouse, and then replacing it with old shadecloth... but I can't do it without cloudy days....

On the upside... heat and humidity, everything is growing like crazy. As long as the afternoon storm still comes, it is heaven as far as plants go... For human, not so much.... he he he.

BTW, Happy New Year everyone :) :). Better year for growing.....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Summer hasn't occurred in these parts. I bet it does soon though.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Cloudy and humid today. Never saw the sun, but it got to 30C. Thought it would rain at one point.. Dead still too.

Another week of clouds, occasional glimpses of sun and very high humidity but only 2mm of rain total last week. Not promising for this week either. At least we are escaping the heat and the worst of the storms so far. The scary thing is that this weather is a carbon copy of this time last year.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Hot and dry like a chip...need rain,storm ,drizzle anything soon...bring it!...Cheers Mike Green(Newcal) :angry:

Hot and dry like a chip...need rain,storm ,drizzle anything soon...bring it!...Cheers Mike Green(Newcal) :angry:

Agree, now would be nice...NOW !!

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I can't remember the last time it actually rained here...not short 5 minute showers, but proper rain...what ever happened to la nina???

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Yeah right... La Nina.... :rolleyes: . The worst January EVER.... Only 63.5mm so far and it hasn't rained for at least a week!!! Geez!!!! Grant has messed us up completely..... Apparently monsoon won't be here till February now... Joy!! :angry:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yes Mike, some decent downpours here, quite wet around the yard, in fact I would like a couple of hot days now so I can mow and pull out some grass and weeds, then it can rain again, the perfect cycle. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, i see Beerway got 213mm (8.5") in that little wet spell the other day...not a bad drop of rain and your garden would be loving it!

I got 138 mm here, the garden certainly needed it...I just hope we don't have another prolonged dry spell for a while.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Only 8mm from the last few days fell here. I had storm clouds to the north and south with blue skies overhead. The extreme heat from a week ago added to the dry weather and wind has killed a few palms here. Fronds are dropping like flies too. After it hitting 41c, I think its time to join the cacti society.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I can't believe this fickle weather...one week it's dry as a dead dingoe's d----- ,the next it's raining cats and dogs.A little bit of a balance would be nice :hmm:

Torrential rain at times here. Starting to grow webbed feet! And more rain to come...not that I will ever complain about rain... laugh.gif

Daryl

Low hanging around for 2 days now.... had over 50mm. Town has over 100mm in the last 24 hours... It is pretty wet out there... If it persist... PLANTING TIME on the weekend!!! Yes!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I may be flooded in by morning, drove through flooded roads this afternoon from the train station. My deglupta is under 2 feet of water.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

yeh , bit damp ..

everything is blowing away here... and there is not even a cyclone watch!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

After missing out on all the rain, its now pouring down gloriously. 25mm last night and 41mm so far today with no sign of easing. A bit late for a few palms but the rest are gulping it down as fast as it can fall.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I may be flooded in by morning, drove through flooded roads this afternoon from the train station. My deglupta is under 2 feet of water.

Wal, hopefully you don't have to get the Dinghy out! That E.deglupta will be loving it...one of the thirstiest plants I have ever seen.

It is still pouring down here...130mm since yesterday and a big night of rain yet to come.Creek is ballistic.

Just got back from BPACS meeting in Bris Vegas. A nice wet drive down the M1. Get well wishes to Brod who broke some ribs recently.

Daryl

Got to 39 today with 17C dewpoints.

It's 10.50pm and still 31.5C. Going for a min of 24C and a max of 40C.

Here is the forecast for the week.

Thursday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 26 Max 41Friday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 25 Max 39Saturday Very hot. Sunny. Min 26 Max 42Sunday Very hot. Windy morning. Min 24 Max 40Monday Very hot. Sunny. Min 23 Max 40Tuesday Very hot. Sunny. Min 26 Max 40Dewpoints will be in the mid to high teens. I might go back to Exmouth in the tropics to cool down. Where we stayed never went above 33C with high humidity.

You can't do anything in this sort of heat. I mowed the lawn around 5.30pm and it was still 37C. Was washing the car at 7.30pm and it was still 35C. Could do with some rain although we got the January average on Sat night.

I hope everyone in QLD fairs OK with their rain and floods.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yep... it is a category 1 cyclone without the cyclone watch/warning system... the condition definitely fits... but we still have to go to work, driving in the condition and can't do any cyclone preparation at home... Great job by BOM for sure...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We had another 90mm in the last 10 hours and it is still pouring here. Total of 210mm (8.5") for the last 48 hrs...soggy! And my creek is a river again...

Tyrone, that is lousy weather for palms...look after them!

Daryl

Another 40mm since my last post. It is certainly a big wet event!

Here's a few creek photos from a while ago...it has since swollen even more but too wet to get outside now...

post-42-032905200 1327445493_thumb.jpg

post-42-073219400 1327445496_thumb.jpg

post-42-070723800 1327445499_thumb.jpg

post-42-017060500 1327445502_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Daryl, that's some awesome rain you have there.

Reticulation is in "life support" mode if you know what I mean. Garden has grown like crazy in the last couple of weeks since I've been away too. Luckily for the garden the next few scorching days will not be low humidity events thankfully. But for us humans we'll feel like we are going to die with any sort of humidity with those temps. Could do with a thunderstorm or two in there.

nice drop daryl .

Another 40mm since my last post. It is certainly a big wet event!

Here's a few creek photos from a while ago...it has since swollen even more but too wet to get outside now...

post-42-032905200 1327445493_thumb.jpg

post-42-073219400 1327445496_thumb.jpg

post-42-070723800 1327445499_thumb.jpg

post-42-017060500 1327445502_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Daryl, is that a ramsayi in full sun in pic 3 in the middle? The rain has stopped and i took the opportunity to spread some blood and bone over the whole yard. Palms are gonna be LOVIN it!!! Great palm weather. There's weird mushrooms/fungus popping up everywhere!!!