IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea rivularis

epicure3

29F. No frost.

3 in ground. Each is about 7 feet tall with about 1/2 foot of trunk.

No damage. One fully exposed. The other 2 in canopy of brugmansia trees.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I have seven of these, six in the ground, and we had 26.5F as a minimum during this cold snap. No visible damage on any of them.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

(Jim in Los Altos @ Jan. 15 2007,22:49)

I have seven of these, six in the ground, and we had 26.5F as a minimum during this cold snap. No visible damage on any of them.

Sweet. Good to know. Did you have frost up there?

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Mine seem for the most part ok as well. 24 with no frost. Some spotting on older leaves.

edited 1/30/07... all plants showing more damage, probably 50-60% browning... doesn't appear life-threatening.

post-33-1168921372_thumb.jpg

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

(doubravsky @ Jan. 15 2007,23:24)

pic of one of them . Planted 3/05 from 24"

Nice job. Mine are so slow compared to what they claim. Mine just started showing trunk 2 years ago and are growing at a snails pace.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Ravenea rivularis, 15 feet overall, 18" dia. trunk, 18" clear trunk

24.1F, no frost, no canopy

Minor tip burn on recently opened new leaf

I fertilize the crap out of this palm so maybe the high salt levels helped.

post-126-1168922421_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Upper twenties FF, no damage so far.

So far.

Cry.  No woman.

Just cry.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

29 and no damage so far

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

27F for 5 hours, no protection, all leaves fairly 'bronzed', but spikes seem OK.  Seedling about 6 years old no trunk yet.

A full week later, and all leaves lost.  Spikes (4 of them) seem mostly undamaged... but then I thought leaves were hardly damaged at first...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3119429

This shows my neighbor's trees- these about 12' tall overall.  Two others, a street over, only 5' tall, are both dead as can be (planted along street with no protection at all).

Update.

No woman, just update.

Four days, 'mon, 28-29 F, -1 C, no damage.  No cry.

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have two small ones in the ground that I planted out of 2 gal pots last summer.

One is 5 feet from my swimming pool under a large palm, looks pretty good, some leaf burn.

The other is fully exposed out in my arctic front yard and it looks like someone beat it with a tennis racket.  As bad as it looks, l think the spear is hanging by a thread.  

24.9 F in protected area of back yard.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

(Geoff @ Jan. 17 2007,11:54)

27F for 5 hours, no protection, all leaves fairly 'bronzed', but spikes seem OK.  Seedling about 6 years old no trunk yet.

A full week later, and all leaves lost.  Spikes (4 of them) seem mostly undamaged... but then I thought leaves were hardly damaged at first...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3119429

This shows my neighbor's trees- these about 12' tall overall.  Two others, a street over, only 5' tall, are both dead as can be (planted along street with no protection at all).

I thought mine would be fine, but alas, 10 days later they look like the ones in Geoffs pic....more detailed info later  :(

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

R. rivularis takes a while to show damage if it wasn't burned initially.  First signs of serious distress are buckling rachis.  My 15g stagnated for about 6 months before the spear pulled and then quickly died after one night of 23.6F, fully exposed with frost  last February.  Looked fine for a couple weeks.

Hopefully larger trees or those in the ground will fare better.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Sheltered under a tree, no damage after dour nights of 28=29, F, no frost.

post-208-1170027866_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Folks in the bay area:

How do yours get so big? I cant even get mine to last more than a few weeks, even in the summer. I have one that I just forgot about and it is doing badly but will survive till spring.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Two - three nights ~ 28-30, under frost cloth.  Major damage.  These palms are higher maintenance than my wife!  (You know, just between us!)

BEFORE

post-352-1171467153_thumb.jpg

Kevin

- USDA Zone 8B -

"Looking for ways to grow tropical palms in Houston; that trip to Singapore changed my life!"

The two I had (past tense) planted deteriorated quickly after the frosts and during the recent rains.  The plant in my very cold front yard originally looked like the spear had at least a chance.  The one in my back yard originally appeared to have only minimal leaf damage.  The leaves and spear deteriorated quickly.

These plants are too small to take the wait and see method.  I'll try again with larger ones.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

It took several weeks to show but most of my majesty palms show 25 to 75% leaf burn. Minimum was 26F. Although these palms produce lots of new leaves yearly, they're still slow in my book. My oldest has been in the ground for several years and still no woody trunk despite tons of water and fertilizer.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

• 10 months later...

Went below 32F at 330am, went back above 32F by 830am. 5 total hours of freezing temperatures. Ultimate low of 29.7F with 7.6 "freezing degree hours" calculated as discussed in the weather forum. Moderate winds varying from NNW to NNE all night, dewpoints in low teens, no frost. No overhead canopy in my yard. No protection provided. Photos from 4 days after the freeze event.

Minimal to no damage:

South side of yard. The one on the north side looks the same.

IMG_4152Large.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I have one that is about 15 foot and 3 foot of trunk.  

29F for 2 hours

Below 32 for 5 hours

The trunk was wrapped in Christmas lights and covered with insulation.  The fronds tied up and wrapped in frost cloth.  

No frost.

The fronds touching the cloth had some noticeable damage.  The inner fronds had no damage.

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

• 3 weeks later...

Four plants, 9' OA height

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

80% defoliated

Fully recovered

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 2 years later...

The two big majesties in front of the Vero Beach Museum of Art were not damaged by the January 2010 cold spell. The site is protected, a bit, by the Indian River. Coconut palms in the vicinity (i.e. Riverside Cafe) were less badly browned than near the airport, where the lowest temperature of the nearly two weeks of cold was 28 F (-2C).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 2 months later...

After the record prolonged cold of the 2010 winter, Ravenea rivularis (Majesty Palm) will return. The leafs burn at 26 F with heavy frost. Leaf sensitive but bud tough. The Majesty Palms in town and at my house are returning yet again. I recorded 19 F and provided no protection other than a little extra mulch around the base. I have NEVER had a spear pull on a Majesty Palm. I believe me…I pulled hard after this winter. Others in town (Tallahassee, FL) were not even mulched and made it as well. Keep in mind these same palms in pots or out in an open yard most likely would not have made it. In the ground and by your house, these guys are tough. As with a lot of tropical plants, the more sun the better for a fast recovery.

Jeff

North Florida

I wholeheartedly agree with Floridagrower about the nature of this palm.

I've been growing these in large pots basically unprotected over 4 winters now here in the Sacramento Valley.

Additionally a few are established in the ground in my neighborhood.

We usually have a few frosts into the high 20s. Last December we had a low of 22 degrees.

As noted above it takes two or three months to see the full extent of the freeze damage.

Typically by February or March here they look awful with nearly complete defoliation.

Amazingly by summer with copious water and fertilizer they look ok or even good (I also apply epsom salts).

If you want year-round beauty in a frosty climate this isn't a good choice, but I just consider

it a deciduous palm and enjoy it in the heat of summer and fall and focus on other palms and flower bulbs

in the spring. They are fairy inexpensive here and the small ones can be treated as annuals.

• 8 months later...

I have two majesty palms outside in the ground. So far they have survived the winter and one night was 16 degrees F. I have them wrapped with burlap and Christmas lights. There are no signs of cold damage, but i did have to cut the fronds off because i protected them too much. One night i placed black plastic over the palms and the lights got too hot inside. So the tips and middle of the fronds "cooked". Everything else looks good though. I just have to wait to see what happens when winter is over, and when the danger of frost has passed.

2012 USDA Cold Hardiness Zone 8A

• 6 years later...

Two consecutive nights with freezing temps and one day with snow. In detail on 1/9/17 from 0:00 am until 9:00   am constantly below zero with below -1 C from 5:30 am to 8:15 am and absolute min. of - 1.8 C from 6:20 am to 6:45 am. Max temperature same day 5.8 C at 1:10 pm. On 1/10/17 constant subzero from 0:00 am to 3:30 am with an absolute min of -0.5 C around midnight. Asolute max. on same day 7.1 pm at 10:06 pm, but snow remained on leaves from dawn to late afternoon. During cold spell dew point was always remaining below actual temperature. Lower part of the fronds intact but upper part with very extensive necrosis (no overhead protective canopy with eastern orientation.

IMG_20170126_131854.thumb.jpg.73705fddc6IMG_20170126_131844.thumb.jpg.1f6b268ebdIMG_20170126_131906.thumb.jpg.f2a28c4cf8

• Like 1

• 6 years later...