IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea Hardiness?

Jubaea23

Very sorry to say it - but I doubt if any are hardy to zone 8 unfortunately.

Zone 8 is about -20F (-6.5C) to -10F (-12C) min, is that right?

I live safely in zone 9b, or even 10a in normal winters, rarely below 30F and never below 27F, yet my cocoides get fried every winter, and this year even some of my younger torallyi's took a hit after a very cold night of around 27F. Haven't got sunkha, so cant comment on that one, but I wouldn't think it would be too much better than torallyi.

The good news is that torallyi seems to get much tougher with a bit of size...although cocoides is still a worry..

Cheers,

Jonathan

• Upvote 1

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Very sorry to say it - but I doubt if any are hardy to zone 8 unfortunately.

Zone 8 is about -20F (-6.5C) to -10F (-12C) min, is that right?

I live safely in zone 9b, or even 10a in normal winters, rarely below 30F and never below 27F, yet my cocoides get fried every winter, and this year even some of my younger torallyi's took a hit after a very cold night of around 27F. Haven't got sunkha, so cant comment on that one, but I wouldn't think it would be too much better than torallyi.

The good news is that torallyi seems to get much tougher with a bit of size...although cocoides is still a worry..

Cheers,

Jonathan

P.sunkha IS hardier than P.torallyi var.torallyi.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

My sunkha has been good down to around 20-22 degrees before it starts seeing damage. I would consider it to be borderline in a warm 8b.

-Krishna

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

My torallyi microcarpa survived to -7'C without damages, but protected by the rain and snow, it's still small to be in the ground yet

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

My sunkha has been good down to around 20-22 degrees before it starts seeing damage. I would consider it to be borderline in a warm 8b.

-Krishna

Theres a big difference between zone 8 in Florida and zone 8 in the Pacific NW, ie, heat in summer which allows for rapid recovery. Borderline palms in climates like mine with cool summers just dont get the heat they need to grow through the damage caused by the previous winter.

I'd bet there are plenty of zone 9b Bizmarkias and triangles in Florida, but they dont survive our zone 9b winters - just shows what a pointless way of evaluating climate the USDA zone system is!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

P.sunkha IS hardier than P.torallyi var.torallyi.

Thats good to know...the only problem is getting hold of the damn seed!

-Krishna

Theres a big difference between zone 8 in Florida and zone 8 in the Pacific NW, ie, heat in summer which allows for rapid recovery. Borderline palms in climates like mine with cool summers just dont get the heat they need to grow through the damage caused by the previous winter.

I'd bet there are plenty of zone 9b Bizmarkias and triangles in Florida, but they dont survive our zone 9b winters - just shows what a pointless way of evaluating climate the USDA zone system is!

Cheers,

Jonathan

I would say that two growing season in the PNW is equal to one growing season in z8 Florida.

However, there are trade offs. I bet Florida z8 doesn't see many tree ferns like you do in PNW.

Here's my only one. This one came from tasmania and has been in the ground for five years.

The trunk is twice as wide as the ones I've seen in Cali, except those in northern sunset z17.

DSC00002-1-2.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 1

Nice work with the Dicksonia - that is a fatty!

Cheers,

Jonathan

• 9 years later...

In Templeton CA (USDA 8a-8b/Sunset 7) I've had P.  sunkha undamaged at 15F with partial evergreen canopy. P.  torallyi in an exposed location got completely defoliated in the same event and the spear pulled, but it has since regrown a full crown that has taken multiple nights of 20F completely undamaged.  For me these have been almost untouchable.

Normal summers here are 90-100F in the day with nights in the 50s; normal winters have maybe 60 nights below 32F with a handful around 20F. 

• Like 3

I have been told of torallyi in Seattle and BC now.  I don't know any details though as to how long, protection etc.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/7/2021 at 11:14 AM, bdtaylor said:

In Templeton CA (USDA 8a-8b/Sunset 7) I've had P.  sunkha undamaged at 15F with partial evergreen canopy. P.  torallyi in an exposed location got completely defoliated in the same event and the spear pulled, but it has since regrown a full crown that has taken multiple nights of 20F completely undamaged.  For me these have been almost untouchable.

Normal summers here are 90-100F in the day with nights in the 50s; normal winters have maybe 60 nights below 32F with a handful around 20F. 

Wow, impressive. Torallyi still alive? I’m surprised it handles that much abuse.