IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Greenhouse Palm Pests

tjwalters

Before long I'll be moving my fairly large palm collection back into the conservatory for the winter, and I will inevitably develop a spider mite problem. In fact, I’ve already noticed some webbing on a few that have spent the summer inside – Chamaedorea klotzschiana and C. seifrizii. Out of all of my palms, C. tepejilote, Adonidia merrillii and Wallichia disticha seem to suffer the most, but any of the thinner-leaved palms are at risk.

I’ve used Orthene in the past but it seems to have lost its effectiveness. Imidacloprid works great for scale, but not for mites. Not sure mites are even listed on the label as one of the controlled pests. I’ve also tried predatory mites. Those didn’t work out too well. In fact they were a total waste of time, money and effort.

What are the greenhouse folks here using? What do the professionals use to control spider mites on palms? Does anything work to control these destructive critters? :angry:

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Mites are tough. Miticides works well, and last a month. You could try a horticultural oil or Neem oil-they are cheaper but you need to spray once a wk until they are gone. Maybe soaps work for others here, I have never tried them though.

Ortho Orthenex Garden Insect and Disease Control works well. If you want a more natural spray I would go with pure Neem oil but you must be consistent with it.

Jeff Rood

Hi Rafael, It depends on the brand. I tend to add a little extra then what the bottle tells me. Do you know what brand you have?

Jeff Rood

I have used this one in the past but it is only 70% Neem oil

30039.jpg

Now I use this one which is 100% Neem oil, about $10 more money but well worth it.

30040.jpg

I am also finding that Neem is working on Aloe mites which can be hard to get rid of.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Jeff Rood

Hi Rafael, It depends on the brand. I tend to add a little extra then what the bottle tells me. Do you know what brand you have?

I have pure neem oil.

I've had good luck with a product called Ortho Max. I did not have good luck at all with Neem oil. It did suppress the mites, but when I was using Neem oil, I had to spray every week or two and this went on for a couple years. The mites always came back. With the Ortho Max I don't even think I've had to spray every year.

The best thing to do though before just going chemical, is to take the plants out of the greenhouse (if you have a shady place and it's summer), spray the undersides of the leaves every couple days, and move plants back into the greenhouse only if they've been mite free for a couple weeks. While the plants are out of the greenhouse, set off a bug bomb (can be pyrethrin based, or something nastier) in the greenhouse to make sure everything is dead in there. It's a bit of work, but this is the only way I've found to actually get rid of a significant mite infestation permanently.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I have had good results with these predatory mites http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/garden_equipment/pest-weed-control/product.php?pr=851

(Phytoseiulus persimilis). They need high temps to work effectively though, but i have had big problems with RSM and these predators usually deal with them quite well.