IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring is here, Summer on the way.

peachy

Beautiful spring weekend here, with temps of 32C (90F) yesterday and today, with clear cloudless skies and totally calm conditions, along with low humidity. A few bushfires are giving the afternoons that golden glow, and great orange sunsets...makes you glad to be alive on this planet!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wind has been roaring through here sounding much like a 747 jet taking off at times. Houses have been damaged and trees have come down between Perth and Mandurah. It still right now as a high starts to edge in. I hate this weather.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

From a nippy 7 overnight to 33 by lunchtime today. Gave up trying to water and ran the sprinkler all day instead. Got a couple more palms in the ground and another huge pile of weeds out of it. Thankfully there is no wind around.

Tyrone, I saw the news about the big winds in Perth, looked very nasty.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

haven't been listening to the news lately.... how fast was the wind? The problem with houses down south is that even if the wind is only approaching cyclonic condition, the houses just aren't built for it. I saw the construction method they use in Perth and it is nowhere near strong enough to withstand 100km/h wind. I hope your house and garden is ok, Ty?

The humidity is rising last weekend. We got a few planting done... mostly understorey stuff, filling in the gap. We did get to plant Chambeyronia hookerii. Didn't get to finish the rest of the mulching... probably this coming weekend....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, winds were around 100km/h on the coast, supposedly we only saw winds in the 70km/h range here, but some of those gusts literally roared like a jet. There were lots of individual cells crossing the coast, so the ones they report are only the ones that actually cross a weather station. I'm 18km inland so the winds have dissipated a bit once they get to me. Around Ocean Reef to Mandurah would have copped it at full strength. No damage here. Just a heap of small branches ripped off my big Eucalyptus. My garden is fairly protected from the worst of it, and my house is protected by the garden. I wouldn't want to have a house on top of hill on the coast with no protection though.

When we had our house reroofed a few years back they tied the roof beams into the top 5 courses of brickwork, so if the roof rips off it has to take 5 courses of bricks with it. Some dodgy reroofers don't tie the roof down properly and they lose there roofs. Still not strong enough for a real cyclone though.

Been watching the cloud activity over the continent lately and have seen some extra cloud in the tropics trying to swirl out of Indonesia and PNG. Humidity should be starting to build now.

Spring won't be here until about the second week in October I reckon. That is quite normal actually. The west coast almost always takes longer to warm up and longer to cool down.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

yeah.... even roof here is the first to go.... People kept on telling me that their house is strong... it is a block home. The first question I ask is... does it have a roof??? And their faces change.... :rolleyes:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

yeah.... even roof here is the first to go.... People kept on telling me that their house is strong... it is a block home. The first question I ask is... does it have a roof??? And their faces change.... :rolleyes:

I think in cyclone areas tin roofs have to have every rise in the corrugation screwed down, whereas down here it's every 3rd or 4th. Still in a big blow cat 4 or cat 5 it can blow complete walls down.

Best regards

Tyrone

Roof is the first to go in big cyclone, Tyrone... A weak point... Unless of course, it is suspended concrete roof with reinforcement down the wall from the roof :). Then, you have the window....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

WARMING up and finally have some home grown bananas ..:drool:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Miserable miserable weather here. Even a 16C max forecast next week.

What happened to Spring, Ty? A few drop of rain at Humpty Doo shop and Palmerston yesterday... Missed us, of course. It is a sign of what's to come and the humidity is definitely up... so rain away!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

What happened to Spring, Ty? A few drop of rain at Humpty Doo shop and Palmerston yesterday... Missed us, of course. It is a sign of what's to come and the humidity is definitely up... so rain away!!!

It sprung off. :(

We're in a constant westerly stream at the moment, the sort that hits the west of Tasmania and it's just not going to move away for ages. A cold front is coming through now. No northerly winds expected in the outlook period which would drive temps up. My Chambeyronia lepidotas are loving it though as are my Prestoea acuminata var montanas which have been sitting in a tray of water all winter and have bulked up. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

A southerly roared through yesterday, and the temperature at Wollongong dropped 6 degrees in 60 seconds! At nearby Bellambi it dropped 11 degrees in 10 minutes (30c to 19c)

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Nice low twenties weather lately but cold at night with single digits. Some rain coming through tonight, then on Tuesday disgusting weather with possible hail and a max of 16C. The good news though, once that meteorological slap in the face has passed, the weather will steadily warm up and improve and actually turn into spring in the first week of Oct. I seem to remember from years past that Oct 12 or thereabouts is where the weather just flicks a switch and winter is gone for another 8 or 9 months at least. The nights just bounce up in temps around then and people have BBQ's everywhere and the warmth of the day lingers into the early evening.

On the palm front, the coconut continues to open a new spear that it pushed all winter with another behind it growing strongly. It didn't get any black spotting on it like it did last winter (which was a horror record event). My little Carpoxylon has just opened a new spear after completely forming the leaf in winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

The switch gets flicked on Oct 9 according to the long range forecast 16C −27C. That's more like it.

Hail tomorrow and 16C.sick.gif

HOT HOT HOT.... steamy steamy steamy... if only the rain doesn't keep going around and missing us... Oh well, it is coming... I can smell it....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I worked up a sweat just thinking about going out into the garden today :rolleyes:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Ari, what happened to the chasers site?

Not sure.... Zig. We can't get answer from Paul... Some of us get together at xweatherlive.com too, if you want to check it out...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

No hail came but it was blimmin freezing at times. Driving around in the new car and the outside temp was reading 9C at 2pm in showers. Very cold polar winds. Can do without that sort of junk.

The good news for me is spring will start on Oct 1 now. Night temps will switch into double digit territory and the days will be in the low to mid twenties with the odd shower still around. Much better. After that it will quickly warm up into good growing territory. :D

Also we are over the September average for rainfall and above average for the year to the end of Sep. Dams are still low though.

Best regards

Tyrone

Weather has changed here now. Low twenties during the day and last night was relatively warm. It stayed above the mid teens all night and bottomed out at 14.4C at 7am. Should start to see things speeding up and taking off again in the garden.

Tyrone

Thought it was warm today. It got past 28C. Finally. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

So far its the coldest october for years. Nights have been in the low to mid single digits. However we have had good rain overnight and its been falling on and off all day, so even with a maximum of 18 today, I won't whine too much. After a couple of warmish days, I ordered more seedlings, only to have it go cold again. Too late now, just have to hope for the best.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I had a heap of Heliconia rhizomes turn up from QLD on a 16C day. Had to pot them up and put them all into the germination room on the ground. We've been high single digits the last couple of nights but it looks like into the low doubles in a couple of days. It was around 24C today, but it's been cooling off at night still. Looking forward to consistent tens at night and high twenties during the day with a bit of rain every now and again.

Tyrone

Dam levels have just exceeded where they were this time last year at 35%. Total rainfall for the year is just under 700mm. Long range forecast is for a little bit of rain in the next week then nothing for the rest of October. So I think that is pretty much it for our wet season. That means temps are going to lift substantially in the next few weeks as we run up into summer. It has been cool here, but I think that's in comparison to the east. All other indicators say we've been average to above average in temp for Sep and October so far. SST's around Australia look weird at the moment. Virtually the entire eastern sea board is below average and the west is above average with the northern tropics somewhere in between. I think the tropical Indian Ocean will be the main moisture source this summer. Night temps have just lifted into the teens (thank goodness) and the dewpoints have all just lifted into the teens too. Growth is starting to happen on things, but it's still chilly at night.

Best regards

Tyrone

Big thunderstorm overnight and another this morning, rain just pelted down. Cold and overcast today, looks like more rain is on the way. Now if only the place would warm up a bit. Plans to continue with the front yard makeover are on hold till it fines up again.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Finally some precipitation! 13mm (1/2 inch) this morning, not great, but better than nothing. A lovely warm and humid day today. And now, a second thunderstorm is just about to dump on us..yay!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Glad to see some rain falling. 27C and thunderstorms on Monday. Weather has definitely shifted now.

Best regards

Tyrone

I am still cleaning up after the storms but they did dump a lovely 41mm of much needed rain. Not in any great rush to clear it all away as there are bound to be plenty more storms before summer is over. Today is nice, calm, sunny and a very comfortable 25.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Watching the radar and the black clouds outside as thunderstorms approach. Almost hit 27C today. 30 and 31 on Sun and Monday with a min of 17 on Mon morning.

It begins. :)

Tyrone

35C forecast for Sunday. Going to make sure everything is dripping wet on Sunday for that jump in temp. Hothouse door will have to be open to prevent the temp control turning the misters on for a few hrs straight. Coconut grew 2.5cm overnight. That thing just keeps getting stronger every year. It's now uncovered.

Tyrone

Apart from getting blown away by strong wind, the bad storms yesterday missed my place. Rained last night, 32mm in 3 hours so the garden looks rehydrated again. The new system of down pipes and storm water drains got a good testing out and performed to perfection.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Apart from getting blown away by strong wind, the bad storms yesterday missed my place. Rained last night, 32mm in 3 hours so the garden looks rehydrated again. The new system of down pipes and storm water drains got a good testing out and performed to perfection.

Peachy

Just been looking at the warm and moist conditions over in your part of the world Peachy with envy. Here the retic systems are all being switched back on, which will produce a flood of work for me, when many realise that they have maintenance issues and things don't work anymore.

Best regards

Tyrone

Rained again yesterday evening, a total now of 63mm in 24 hours and the ground and plants have swallowed every drop. These warm nights are a shock to the system after such a long cold winter. It's very humid however but I can cope with that as long as it doesnt get too hot. The palms seem to be growing as I watch them, sadly the weeds are doing likewise, disheartening after my 3 week weedathon effort. I'm going to take advantage of the soft ground to try and plant a couple of bigger palms over the weekend.

Peachy

27.35 south.

High humidity and daily afternoon thunderstorms, been great for planting.Beautiful thunderstorm happening right now,good excuse to knock off early

After a storm last week the humidity switch was flicked on here...........last few days there has been some good storm activity with nice rain, heat and humidity....everything is starting to look good, even my Sealing Wax Palm planted next to my front steps is putting out new fronds.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Had a 20.5C min last night but with gale force winds from the NE. 34C today then a humid change comes through tonight and thunderstorms tomorrow. I'm looking forward to this humid change.

Tyrone

What we've been getting every afternoon...

What we've been getting every afternoon...

Nice. Would love some of that right now. It's 36.2C here at the moment.

Tyrone

18C min overnight and dewpoints around 17C. Gave the garden a good soaking overnight. You can tell it's warming up from the smell of fermenting Syagrus seed in the garden.

Tyrone