IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring is here, Summer on the way.

peachy

As usual for here the first day of spring was lovely and warm and the night reasonably mild in comparison to what I have been experiencing. 34mm of rain this week, no more freezing wind either. All is right with the world. I have dusted off the spade and been planting palms and few other pretties. Now my spending fingers are getting itchy and my baby blues are on the alert for fresh prey to purchase.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

First day of Spring was nice here too. 23C and then overnight rain. Winter is now back again. Had a fair bit of rain overnight. We need it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

What a freezing day with cold southerlies. Maxed at around noon with 17C and then by 12.30 we'd dropped to 12C and it didn't rise above that much for the rest of the day. Colder than virtually any winter day this year. :(

Had some small bits of ice fall from the sky but not much. Around a mm in diameter. Could have been worse though.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Peachy, keep those baby blues vigilant. On the other hand with spring in the air, do not go overboard.

Aloha,

Karolyn

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

hhmm..... yesterday someone flicked a switch!!! Not quite there yet.... the humidity hasn't risen to the max, but it is definitely warmer and steamier. And another weekend of non-gardening :rolleyes:

Scott is away to Cairns on a boys trip.... and I am stuck driving the kids everywhere this weekend... again.... Oh well... hopefully I can mulch tomorrow morning....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Warming up fast this morning. Only 9 when I got up, poochie boys decided to remain entangled in the bedding rather than brave the cold. 30 minutes later it was already 13, so it should be a warm one today. 26 in my backyard yesterday. Planted some broms, gingers and a gymea lily. Today I am going to attempt to tackle a jungle of morning glory, wild tobacco trees and chinese elms that have formed an impenetrable grove near the new fence. Now if only I could find the bloody secateurs !!

Karolyn, nothing exceeds like excess.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Going for 22C with a warm breeze.....not too shabby at all for the start of Spring ! smilie.gif

Hoping for some rain in the upcoming days too .

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Ari, it's looking better all the time. This morning minimum at Noonamah was 20.1C, the maximum yesterday was 37.1C. But humidity got down to around 27% yesterday, so we're not completely out of it. Hopefully, though, that's the end of our sub-20s temperatures for quite a while.

Spring is definitely here...minimums are only down to 14-15C and the days are beautiful and warm. Seems like somebody turned on the switch on 1/9! Cicadas started chirping for the first time today. Life is good!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Nothing like spring here. Right back into winter. This cold front is going to be followed by a high and then a massive 1042hPa high after that. It's that transition time of year when the highs seem to get huge before they drift south and before we get into an east to NE flow with the heat troughs that warm us up. The good news is we're right on target for average rainfall this year and I can't wait for us to go above average. They're tipping a mainly decile 8,9 spring summer so if that's the case it will be nice and warm with a fair bit of humidity this year. SST's are still 2C above average down here at 20C at the moment.

Best regards

Tyrone

I guess there is no spring at my latitude. But, the dry sesason ahs taken a different turn and there is more frequent rain and humidity is up to normal. Like always no rain and no clouds = hot. Clouds = less hot, and rain = mild, at least somewhat.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Still waiting for summer here... I think it missed its opportunity... :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Still waiting for summer here... I think it missed its opportunity... :(

Well Bill I guess there is next year.

Dk from the land of the endless summer.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Overcast, cold and windy....my least favourite weather and its here with a vengeance. All plans to spend the day in the garden are on hold. I think Tyrone put the westie hex on us for bragging how nice its been here lately.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Overcast, cold and windy....my least favourite weather and its here with a vengeance. All plans to spend the day in the garden are on hold. I think Tyrone put the westie hex on us for bragging how nice its been here lately.

Peachy

Both SW WA and SE QLD are in ocean breezes at the moment. :( I'm cold.

Best regards

Tyrone

That's weird, it was sunny here for most of the day, and I'm only an hour's drive from Peachy. There were a lot of people in the water at the beach today. It is cooler than it has been though, and this evening is not as balmy as it has been.

Just starting to see some of the palm damage from our prolonged cool winter, the coolest in more than a decade.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Spring sprang so hard it bounced right back into winter. Extra doona is back on the bed, nightly poochie/mama snuggles underneath the aforementioned and the jumpers back in use. My newly purchased Areca guppyanas are dropping like flies and the new spear on the Pritchardia thurstonii is looking for reverse gear. Bloody weather.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Well that large high pressure cell is going to stick around for days and will be effecting my weather for a while. Nights around 6,7C and days starting at 20C and slowly rising to 24C by Sunday. It will pump a lot of cold air over the continent and by the time the winds shift easterly to north easterly they won't be that warm to give the temp a kick in the upwards direction far. Kind of overcast and chilly out there now. I think they call that an "anticyclonic gloom" when cloud for some reason hangs around a high pressure zone. I hope it clears so the sun can hit the ground and warm it up. It's these slow spring warm ups which can do things in, that for all other reasons would have made it through winter fine.

Best regards

Tyrone

22 this morning, fine sunny and best of all, no bloody wind. One more coffee and I might actually motivate myself to get out and plant something.

Peachy

27.35 south.

The high sitting off in the Indian is a big one. 1042 central pressure. 1032hPa where I am now. When that one hits the Bight, those coastal areas are going to feel cold at night.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yesterday I had to use the a/c in the car, it was so hot inside of it. Got home to find that it was 27 !! I cant sleep tonight so at 2am its still 12, which may sound cold to many but for this time of year, its a very mild night. Now if it would only stay about the same as yesterday and tonight for eternity, I would be content.

peachy

27.35 south.

As Tyrone mentioned, cool days in September are what finishes plants which have otherwise barely survived a Southern winter. My winters aren't overly cold, but the unpredictable coolish weather which often occurs on the east coast when the weather should be warming up is what stops up having gardens which resemble those in more tropical regions.

25C tomorrow then a 26C. Woohooo!!!!!!!!

My coconut will be singing Bob Marley hits. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

This high pressure system has had a drastic effect on the weather. We were already into full build-up mode when it hit. Temps were getting up to 37C+ and minimums were 23C to 24C with humidity building, cloud building, and Darwins first (light) rain for the season. The rain missed me, as usual, but about 15 kms north of me they got 7mm. Then early hours of yesterday the humidity dropped from 83% to 40% in about 2 hours without any temperature rise.

The wind ramped up and yesterday we had a catastrophic fire warning. My minimum was 21.8C, maximum only 33.1C. This morning minimum was 20.3C (amazingly Darwin, on the coast, minimum was 19.8C). Wish I could put in a standing order for my temperature to stay permanently like that relative to Darwin.

Right over on the east coast it has been far worse. Cairns had a minimum of 12.5C this morning. Just hope that air keeps warming up on its way over here. Don't want a return to those kinds of figures here, not this time of year. The colder dry air might be streaming across more to our south because Kununurra had a minimum of 11.1C this morning, and Wyndham 13.6C. Broome has had 15.8C but it's still a bit early there for a final figure.

It missed me too, Zig... don't you worry. The lady down the road got it though :angry: . I like the temperature, but really need the rain... The garden is crying out for rain. The irrigation is still on, but still not the same....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We were down to high single digits last night. The longest, coolest, driest winter in over 10 years is still teasing us!

Daryl

The pressure has been sitting in the 1030's for days now. Very high pressure. We're still in single digits at night but that will slowly fade away over the next few weeks. Rain is back next week. Sep can be a bit of this and a bit of that. A bit of winter, a bit of spring, sometimes with a sniff of summer thrown in towards the end. Everything relates to wind directions and the location of high pressure zones. The subtropical ridge rules down here. Looking forward to a couple of days in the mid twenties. UV Index is up to 7 with UV warnings from around 9am to 3pm.

Best regards

Tyrone

MAYBE Some of the bunches of bananas that have been hanging there for 4 months will start ripening . :drool:

Preparing for a few massive plant outs .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

here too Michael... if only the dry surge would piss off and we get the humidity back and of course, some rain.. Did about 60 bales of hay today... only 40 left. Hhhmm... only probably enough to do licuala bed.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Down to 3 bloody degrees last night...I couldnt believe it. Had to get up and put on a jumper to sleep in. About 3am I got up to get the extra doona so the dogs would stop trying to climb on me for extra warmth. I was so sore from digging that massive metre 3 hole for the pritchardia over the last few days too, so sleep eluded me until well after sunrise and a very boring repeat of Jag on the bedroom tv. BTW, its in the ground, looks great and I will never plant another thing in the front lawn again. Tonight is supposed to go down to 4 but now at 10.30pm its still hovering on 10 so I may be lucky. Naturally I havent been game to go out to the shadehouse and see how my poor seedlings fresh from Cairns have coped with the sudden cold snap.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Michael I'm waiting for bananas to ripen on my trees too. They've just been in suspended animation for the last few months.

Peachy that is cold. I was about to post that we've had cold single digits, but they've been high singles. 3C is a pain in the but. That huge high is finally shifting east and we'll go into a more westerly flow with a bit of cloud cover and humidity, a bit of rain, nights in double digits and days in the low twenties. Winter is trying to stretch into spring like an elastic band. I wish it would snap off. 25C today though then some clouds and rain and 21C tomorrow.

Best regards

Tyrone

The pressure has been sitting in the 1030's for days now. Very high pressure. We're still in single digits at night but that will slowly fade away over the next few weeks. Rain is back next week. Sep can be a bit of this and a bit of that. A bit of winter, a bit of spring, sometimes with a sniff of summer thrown in towards the end. Everything relates to wind directions and the location of high pressure zones. The subtropical ridge rules down here. Looking forward to a couple of days in the mid twenties. UV Index is up to 7 with UV warnings from around 9am to 3pm.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yeah, sun's starting to burn here too. Rather early for my neck of the woods. :unsure:

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Sydney to hit 27 and 30 by the end of the week. Now if temps stay that high until Summer, with the mild winter we had, life would be pretty sweet.

dry season day again today... and cool night too.... Apparently the build up will return with a vengeance later in the week. Hurry up then, will you??? We need some humidity & rain!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The change in the season seems to come in waves that go forward and backward. Got to around 26C today then down to 21 and chance of rain tomorrow with double digit minimums. I have my Alocasia maccorhiza in bloom at the moment. The smell of Jasmine fills the air in my garden at this time of year.

Best regards

Tyrone

A bit of rain today and the nights are double digits. Days in the low twenties. Typical Sep weather for here.

Best regards

Tyrone

Some rainfall here in the next couple of weeks will come in handy whilst I am away on holidays :)

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Definately spring now. 3 days of 27 and today was 29.4 with 31 forecast for tomorrow. Nights are cold, 5 or 6 seems to be the max for those. Could really do with some rain about now. I am hosing for hours each day. Planted a lot of stuff too that I was a bit concerned about planting while there was risk of a frost, but now if we do eventually get one, they should be established enough to take it. Got one of the ambos in the ground today as well as a spindle, purple alex and a couple of cycads. Repotted a quite a few juveniles and seedlings were potted up yesterday....busy busy busy. Now I have to repot most of the houseplants. If I can survive spring, I might get to enjoy summer and autumn for a change.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy, single digits to 31C is quite a swing. Here we've had about 25mm of rain in the last couple of days. Nights around 12-14C and days around 20, 21C. It's been raining on and off heavy today. Not cold really. Dewpoints up around 15C. Alocasias are in bloom as well as Chamaedoreas, but what I wouldn't give for 18C nights and 27C days with the odd bit of rain and humidity in there.

Best regards

Tyrone

Freezing and windy here today. Definitely not spring weather.