IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Irene

Palmə häl′ik

The spaghetti models show it's comin'...

post-3028-064006700 1314007322_thumb.gif

post-3028-057573400 1314007447_thumb.gif

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Looks like the islands aren't gonna slow it down... It's gonna gain strength on the water...

post-3028-013987800 1314009894_thumb.png

post-3028-090057100 1314009953_thumb.gif

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Edited by Palmə häl′ik

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

The San Juan Metro area got hit with minimal hurricane force winds. A lot of downed trees, flooded rivers, mudslides and blackouts but nothing major it seems. Get your pruners ready.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

As of this moment Irene has reached cat 2 - with no eye formation yet. And as of this moment Cape Coral/Fort Myers have fallen just outside the cone. But the fat lady hasn't sung yet. I'm concerned about the mid-Atlantic, even the northeast US. I have a brother in Raleigh who went through Floyd in '99. He lost electricity for 7 days and many of the trees on his property. And I have a son and two grandsons in Rockville, MD. Many, many old trees there.

Glad I filled up the Honda today while stations still have petrol. People are already stripping bottled water from store shelves. The Weather Channel has gone to all Irene all the time.

Good night, Irene,

I'll see you in my dreams.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

she's sloooow as molassas...

...just North of Haiti now

post-3028-078752700 1314091852_thumb.gif

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

ooops. That's not the updated one for this morning...

This one is though...

post-3028-017176300 1314092381_thumb.gif

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Cape Fear and the Outer Banks are in the crosshairs tonight and tomorrow.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

The national media is devoting considerable attention to this hurricane since the possibility of widespread damage from the mid-Atlantic to Northeast states is likely. :blink:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Many gas stations here in Virginia Beach are now out of gas. Some areas have mandatory evacuations, but not where we are exactly. We must keep our veterinary hospital open tomorrow 8-noon as long as we can get there... We don't have a home generator and are hoping for the best. At least our old house is solid brick and lasted through earlier hurricanes. D batteries have been scarce since Wednesday too. Hope to have just some needed rain from Irene!

Cindy Adair

rain started last night, not at all heavy yet, and the wind gusts are just starting this am. Have a friend in Hatteras who decided to stay so I will talk to her later on and see whats going on there. This has turned out to be a pretty small hurricane in terms of wind, but the flooding potential is the biggest issue. At least it didn't turn more west or I would have been taking down the plastic on the grhouses -that would a huge drag. Had to do it for Floyd

hold on tight kahili... She's a bigun...

post-3028-063844700 1314447883_thumb.jpg

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

lol when you show that picture-it does seem like more should be happening....but its not, in fact I was just getting ready to look at the radar and see if I could go out and work some. These bands of rain are really intermittent, although the wind is fairly constant now and I have never seen clouds move so fast as they are right now. They are really racing across the sky.

As of this minute in Virginia Beach, VA our power is flickering at home and quite a lot of wind and rain. We closed the veterinary hospital early and were the last to leave so assume all employees had time to get home safely. We are hoping for the best with 2 backyard greenhouses. They each have triple wall polycarbonate on top but GLASS sides. At least the one attached to my living room has tempered glass-the other is merely single pane and can shatter. We're ready with flashlights, food, water and battery powered radio and of course all 5 pets inside with us! Our hardy palms here are on their own and we hope they live up to their hardy designation. I'll sign on again later as Irene allows....

Cindy Adair

As of this minute in Virginia Beach, VA our power is flickering at home and quite a lot of wind and rain. We closed the veterinary hospital early and were the last to leave so assume all employees had time to get home safely. We are hoping for the best with 2 backyard greenhouses. They each have triple wall polycarbonate on top but GLASS sides. At least the one attached to my living room has tempered glass-the other is merely single pane and can shatter. We're ready with flashlights, food, water and battery powered radio and of course all 5 pets inside with us! Our hardy palms here are on their own and we hope they live up to their hardy designation. I'll sign on again later as Irene allows....

AMAZING THAT WE STILL HAVE POWER! Our heavy outdoor bench is now in splinters from a large pine tree branch, but we're okay inside. Still 1-2 hours from what is supposed to be the eye here. We're baking cookies while we can and may watch old episodes of the BBC show "Dr. Who"-- which is exactly how we spent the night last week when Irene hit is on our farm in Puerto Rico and never lost power. We did need rain but perhaps we've had enough already! Great to have more time to play on the computer that I never expected to have today!

Cindy Adair

Obviously 3 of our animals are NOT upset by the hurricane as this photo shows taken just a moment ago. The outside photo shows a bit of the backyard taken from inside the house of course! Still raging here...

post-4111-051658600 1314467390_thumb.jpg

post-4111-087737500 1314467405_thumb.jpg

post-4111-097878800 1314467417_thumb.jpg

Cindy Adair

Forgot to point out the palm prints from Fairchild Garden's gift shop and the palm pillow... Supposedly it will be at its worst 6 hours from now but for now we're all still just hanging out.

Cindy Adair

I need to call my friend again in Hatteras. They had lost power a long time ago, but she didn't think this was that bad a storm either. She said they had nor'easters worse than this. I think they have lost some sand on the beaches though....a lot of rain with this and flooding. Some piers along the coast have gone out to sea

apaandssa you took a double hit! Please, keep us informed. Oh, while you still have power, please, PLEASE! Make LOTS OF ICE!!! You'll be amazed how ice is worth more than gold in a few days (if you indeed lose power). Good luck.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

apaandssa you took a double hit! Please, keep us informed. Oh, while you still have power, please, PLEASE! Make LOTS OF ICE!!! You'll be amazed how ice is worth more than gold in a few days (if you indeed lose power). Good luck.

Good idea! Will do!

Cindy Adair

Thanks for the well wishes here in Northern Mass. Just some rain for the past few hours. I myself highly doubt it'll get worse than that for us, since we are on the northern Coast (As opposed to Cape Cod.)

Good idea! Will do!

Well, we did lose power from around 9 pm Saturday until about 4 am today (Monday). That's MUCH better than the 8 days without power during Isabelle,etc. Our computer monitor was apparently a casualty but we have an old smaller spare one we can use. Our backyard isn't pretty, but our house and both greenhouses are fine. Overall we were very fortunate! On to work to catch up there soon.

Cindy Adair

Good idea! Will do!

Well, we did lose power from around 9 pm Saturday until about 4 am today (Monday). That's MUCH better than the 8 days without power during Isabelle,etc. Our computer monitor was apparently a casualty but we have an old smaller spare one we can use. Our backyard isn't pretty, but our house and both greenhouses are fine. Overall we were very fortunate! On to work to catch up there soon.

I am very relieved to know you are alright. Fantastic the house and greenhouse were unscathed. A yard, while very personal space, can be cleaned up and put back together in time.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Peachy, Patricia and everyone, Thanks for your concern and kind words. The first photo was taken from inside my kitchen during a calm moment. The others are of my herb garden area with raised beds I built about 25 years ago. As you said, yards can be fixed and it's time for some renovations anyway. Amazingly, underneath the tree branches, many of the beds are okay and I know the plants appreciated the good soaking rain!

post-4111-074731100 1314706779_thumb.jpg

post-4111-040093700 1314706793_thumb.jpg

post-4111-080641200 1314706802_thumb.jpg

post-4111-019125100 1314706811_thumb.jpg

Cindy Adair

Cindy as Peachy said "A yard, while very personal space and can be cleaned up and put back together in time." We all have blessings to be thankful for daily and no major damage is one of those blessings. Do take a deep breath. Happy to hear also that the house and greenhouse are just fine. Your pets look very relaxed and I also hope all was in order when you returned to the veterinary hospital.

Much Aloha,

Karolyn

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"