IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spurious and uncommon - Common Names

John in Andalucia

Feel free to add your own "pet" names, as long as a few of your mates are familiar with it too. Singular claims to a palm common name may be ridiculed, cross-examined or ummed and arred about.biggrin.gif

In Peru I'm seeing Dypsis lutescens in superstores labelled as "Hawaiian Palm" (Palmera Hawaiiana). Anyone hear of that?

My private joke,... I have two Trachycarpus wagnerianus. They are male and female, and siblings. I call them Siegmund und Sieglinde.

San Francisco, California

John,

Dypsis lutescens..."Hawaiian palm", I think I have no choice but to resent that! :lol: And no, never heard of that. Unfortunately, here it's known as "Areca palm"! Whoever came up with that brilliant name should be deported to some place with no palms...

Anyway, here's one for you which I just heard myself some time time ago: "Malama palm" for Clinostigma samoense. Malama Street is my "old street" where my old 5 acre garden is located (now KPL's). Lots of people in our subdivision, Leilani Estates, walk by on their morning walks, and someone decided it was appropriate to call it the Malama Palm. After all, I planted 140 of them on those five acres! :) There are now hundreds and hundreds more scattered all over the subdivision. Most recently when we liquidated our nursery. I had 75 fairly large C. samoense in the ground on the leased land. Most with 2-5 ft of trunk. They were dug up (backhoe) and distributed among quite a few properties here in Leilani Estates. Only a few didn't survive the transplant operation. And for those who are not fluent in Hawaiian, "malama" means "to take care of". :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

John,

Dypsis lutescens..."Hawaiian palm", I think I have no choice but to resent that! :lol: And no, never heard of that. Unfortunately, here it's known as "Areca palm"! Whoever came up with that brilliant name should be deported to some place with no palms...

Anyway, here's one for you which I just heard myself some time time ago: "Malama palm" for Clinostigma samoense. Malama Street is my "old street" where my old 5 acre garden is located (now KPL's). Lots of people in our subdivision, Leilani Estates, walk by on their morning walks, and someone decided it was appropriate to call it the Malama Palm. After all, I planted 140 of them on those five acres! :) There are now hundreds and hundreds more scattered all over the subdivision. Most recently when we liquidated our nursery. I had 75 fairly large C. samoense in the ground on the leased land. Most with 2-5 ft of trunk. They were dug up (backhoe) and distributed among quite a few properties here in Leilani Estates. Only a few didn't survive the transplant operation. And for those who are not fluent in Hawaiian, "malama" means "to take care of". :)

Bo-Göran

Bo, I imagine there must be a shortage of common names, given the species growing on Hawaii. That's quite an honour, nevertheless!

Marketing men were definitely at work when they plumped for, "Hawaiian Palm". I did a little browsing on-line and found on Flickr from the University of Hawaii Museum http://www.flickr.co...eum/4131679827/

In reference to Dypsis lutescens the following comment is a good example of how spurious common names abound: "..this is among the most commonly planted palms in Hawaii..".

Here in California Chamaedorea hooperiana is sold as 'Maya' palm for the indoor foliage trade. Chamaedorea plumosa is sometimes sold as 'mini queen' palm.

San Francisco, California

Queen palms here are still sometimes labelled as "Cocos palm". Frightening. huh.gif

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

someone said "samuri palm" recently here on PT--was that you,stevetoad? :mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Kamikazi palm = Pigafetta in Beerwah.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Queen palms here are still sometimes labelled as "Cocos palm". Frightening. huh.gif

Regards

Michael.

These are usually referred to as Cocos around Sth East Queensland. I say Syagrus.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Regards

Michael.

These are usually referred to as Cocos around Sth East Queensland. I say Syagrus.

In Spain, too. They're always referred to as Coco plumoso or Cocos plumosa.

In my recent thread "palm in mexico, wich one is it??", where i try to know its ID, i show this palm, that someone told to be acrocomia aculeata.

In Mexico it is called COCOYOL! B)

Un gran SALUDO John!

Edited by rafael

to be fair using "cocos plumosa" for syagrus r. is really an example of an antiquated name,not a common name so it fits in the "spurious" category. :rolleyes:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

to be fair using "cocos plumosa" for syagrus r. is really an example of an antiquated name,not a common name so it fits in the "spurious" category. :rolleyes:

Antiquated, but now considered among the many common names in Spain. Here for example, is a distinction between scientific and common name usage: http://fichas.infoja...cos-plumosa.htm

Note where it presents the "Nombre común o vulgar" below the Latin name. rolleyes.gif

Saludos a ti, Rafael!

I have a non palm friend from Hawaii who admired my 'fishtail' palms and said they reminded her of home. I had a couple of spare caryotas laying around and offered her one, but she said she would rather have a fishtail. Confusion reigned until she started pointing to my pritchardias. Needless to say she went home empty handed. I am mean with my pritchie babies.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.