IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Countdown to disaster part 2

STEVE IN SO CAL

(BigWaveDave @ Jan. 14 2007,11:58)

(Greg in Lake Forest @ CA,Jan. 14 2007,13:43)

(BigWaveDave @ Jan. 14 2007,08:33)

27.5F low in Lake Forest out in the open.

Hey Dave,

My lowest temp gauge read 25.8 F at approx 0700, others were 29 and 30 under some protection.  You're likely a few feet higher.  Early damage, Foxy Lady looks bad, Dypsis lanceolata too.

My temp gauge is not exactly in the open.  It is under my shade cover at about 24" (sitting just above the palm benches.  My other guages that were in around the house we all about 5F warmer.  My royals got owned along with my biggest king among others, and I think that my newest chambeyronia that I got may be on its way out.  I'm going to go take some pictures, maybe I'll start a Damage Report thread.

David

I can definitely see certain areas that are showing immediate damage. Some of this stuff is really sad when you think how many leaves the palm even puts out in a year.  

Forecast for the next couple days still looks ominous, with tonight being the worst.  Should have covered more stuff last night.  The nice breeze at 2200 totally faked me out.  Best of luck.

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

I think this freeze definitely defined the hazards of zone 10   :(  Sorry to see kings damaged in SoCal  :o

I have nothing noticable as yet but will wait another week or so :

Here's this morning's review :

Veitchia arecina is showing some brown blotches

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/happ65la/P4220003.jpg

P4220072.jpg

Majesty

P4220065.jpg

euterpe edulis looks fine [so far]  :)

P4220052.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

And a few more

King/foxtail

P4220019.jpg

Royal

P4220023.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(Greg in Lake Forest, CA @ Jan. 14 2007,13:06)

(BigWaveDave @ Jan. 14 2007,11:58)

(Greg in Lake Forest @ CA,Jan. 14 2007,13:43)

(BigWaveDave @ Jan. 14 2007,08:33)

27.5F low in Lake Forest out in the open.

Hey Dave,

My lowest temp gauge read 25.8 F at approx 0700, others were 29 and 30 under some protection.  You're likely a few feet higher.  Early damage, Foxy Lady looks bad, Dypsis lanceolata too.

My temp gauge is not exactly in the open.  It is under my shade cover at about 24" (sitting just above the palm benches.  My other guages that were in around the house we all about 5F warmer.  My royals got owned along with my biggest king among others, and I think that my newest chambeyronia that I got may be on its way out.  I'm going to go take some pictures, maybe I'll start a Damage Report thread.

David

I can definitely see certain areas that are showing immediate damage. Some of this stuff is really sad when you think how many leaves the palm even puts out in a year.  

Forecast for the next couple days still looks ominous, with tonight being the worst.  Should have covered more stuff last night.  The nice breeze at 2200 totally faked me out.  Best of luck.

Ithought last night was supposed to be the worst??

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My low for Sunday morning was 28.6F.  No damage on any Kings or Foxtails showing yet.  Does this mean that I'm really a 9B now?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here is yet another sad tale of woe:

Called my Dad this morning...conversation went something like this:

"Heya Dad!...Have you taken a walk out back and looked around yet today?"

"Nope...watchin' the football games"...

"It got down to around an average of 29F last night here in San Marcos...did you get pretty cold last nite?"

"Yup...peeked out the back door at 5am and looked at the thermometer next to the  house...said it was 22F..."

At this point my jaw dropped to the ground and a look of panic crossed my face...the plants at my house had fared pretty well, and i was SURE that there must have been a problem with my Dad's thermometer...no WAY did it get that cold in Vista last night.

Took a drive over there about 3:30pm and was horrified upon arrival...it had indeed gotten that cold, as evidenced by all my now-chocolate-brown colored 5 gal king palms...walked up the hill to the top of the property and all the C. gigas were fried, as well as all the triple 15 gal kings. Most of the area looked like a nuclear war zone...even some of the sagos had taken a hit

I had moved all the kentias into the unheated coldframe the day before, and I was prepared for the worst as i opened the door to look at them....and to my surprise, they were all untouched.

So i may have lost about $2,000 worth of plants last night (we covered all the kings in hopes of saving whatever decides to make it). The only good that came out of all this is i now know where all the microclimates are located on the property now, and needless to say i moved all other plants to those areas. My Dad and i spent the rest of the evening til way after sundown moving and covering what was still savable...I wish I had spent the extra time there yesterday moving and covering the kings, but i wouldn't have had time to move the even more tender cycads and palms at my house out of harms way...like my Dad said, when there are hundreds of plants and only two hombres to do the moving and covering, you do what you can. And i honestly believed that it wasn't even possible for it to get THAT cold there last night.

As I left my Dad's house the back door thermometer said it was 38F...at around 6:45pm this evening.

We shall see how the plants fare over the next few weeks...but on the bright side, this was definitely a good learning experience, and I will be better prepared in the future!

(tropicalb @ Jan. 14 2007,23:40)

Here is yet another sad tale of woe:

Called my Dad this morning...conversation went something like this:

"Heya Dad!...Have you taken a walk out back and looked around yet today?"

"Nope...watchin' the football games"...

"It got down to around an average of 29F last night here in San Marcos...did you get pretty cold last nite?"

"Yup...peeked out the back door at 5am and looked at the thermometer next to the  house...said it was 22F..."

At this point my jaw dropped to the ground and a look of panic crossed my face...the plants at my house had fared pretty well, and i was SURE that there must have been a problem with my Dad's thermometer...no WAY did it get that cold in Vista last night.

Took a drive over there about 3:30pm and was horrified upon arrival...it had indeed gotten that cold, as evidenced by all my now-chocolate-brown colored 5 gal king palms...walked up the hill to the top of the property and all the C. gigas were fried, as well as all the triple 15 gal kings. Most of the area looked like a nuclear war zone...even some of the sagos had taken a hit

I had moved all the kentias into the unheated coldframe the day before, and I was prepared for the worst as i opened the door to look at them....and to my surprise, they were all untouched.

So i may have lost about $2,000 worth of plants last night (we covered all the kings in hopes of saving whatever decides to make it). The only good that came out of all this is i now know where all the microclimates are located on the property now, and needless to say i moved all other plants to those areas. My Dad and i spent the rest of the evening til way after sundown moving and covering what was still savable...I wish I had spent the extra time there yesterday moving and covering the kings, but i wouldn't have had time to move the even more tender cycads and palms at my house out of harms way...like my Dad said, when there are hundreds of plants and only two hombres to do the moving and covering, you do what you can. And i honestly believed that it wasn't even possible for it to get THAT cold there last night.

As I left my Dad's house the back door thermometer said it was 38F...at around 6:45pm this evening.

We shall see how the plants fare over the next few weeks...but on the bright side, this was definitely a good learning experience, and I will be better prepared in the future!

That is a sad tale but things will eventually get better.

For me, I am still in shock with the 29 degree low that I had. I know that, comparatively, it might not be that low but I have a lot of pretty tropical species that are pretty large. While only time will tell, there seemed to be little damage with the exception of some spotting. I used my other sensitive plants as a gauge. Heliconias, plumeria, bananas, dracaena, spathodea, diffenbachia, and crotons seemed to be ok. At least, for now.\

There was no frost.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I did some protecting tonight, but I have mixed feelings.  I kinda of wish I had done more last night when my low got to 27.5F, but when I got in at 1:30am it was only about 38F outside.  I think I will feel bad when some of my favs croak in the next few weeks, but I will cross my fingers and baby them along.  If it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger...  fungicide is your friend...

David Vogelsang

OC, California

Zone 10a

Dave,

Looking worse than last night.  I'm already at 34F @ 21:30, this time last night was 42F with a breeze and ended up 25.8F @ 0715 this morning.

Lake Forest forecast on Wunderland for possible 25F tonight and 26F Monday-brutal.

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

definately warmer than last night.  I was at 35 at this time last night and ended up at 29, right now I am at 41, and looks like I may end up around mid 30's like they forecasted.  Surprisingly the forecasts have been spot on so hopefully the worst is over because although it will be far from warm it shouldn't be anywhere as bad as it was the last two nights for the foreseeable future.  But as we all know things can change in an instant.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

10:00 in Fallbrook

27.0 at the house

24.1 down next to the golf course.

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

So far looking a bit worse here. 10:30 pm and at 33F in back 35F in front.  I thought it was supposed to get a bit warmer tonite.  If I had known, I would have moved more palms in, instead of watching the Chargers.... :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

10:45 in Vista and its 33 degrees. Even the dogs have come inside .

Good night... and hope that we all have some palms left in the morning.

Plant a palm....

35 degrees right now. Last night was 31 at the same time. Hope springs eternal.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Hi All,

I bottomed out at 32 degrees at around 7 in the morning.

But-no ice anywhere. Under the eaves it was upper 30s. Water in the bottom of pots was still ice free and water on the patio never froze over. Up the canyon, at  Mulholland, there was black ice. Over the hill in the SFV (specifically, Universal City) there was ice and frost.

I covered some of the new palms, the bananas and the plumeria cuttings. I also used two patio heaters and moved  a lot of things under tables and other shelters. So far so good.

I'm not protecting tonight-I should be okay, I hope. I've mulched well and regularly irrigated. Maybe I'm lucky?!?!

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

temp has warmed up 2 degrees in the last hour and is up to 43 degrees, but I think the wind is helping matters.  I even checked this with all the other weather stations which all confirm my readings so hopefully we all will be out of the danger zone, although some of the temps in some of the posts don't look so good. Lets hope for the best, the light is at the end of the tunnel. :;):

USDA Zone 10a

I'm up to 44 degrees and it looks like it's still rising but the wind is blowing good right now.  My B hapala which I feard would be damaged after last night looks totaly unafected, but C gigas and my Cham hookeri got some nice burn to them but nothing to bad. Some of the others have slight burn but my P coronata, phillippenensis and javana all look good right now as does my foxtails.  Strange in that some that I thought would suffer more didn't but ones that were planted near the undamaged ones that I didn't expect to burn did.  I'm sure however we will know more within the next couple of weeks.

USDA Zone 10a

You guys over there have my sympathies because here in Europe temps are reasonable.

In fact for the UK it is being predicted that this could be our warmest winter on record. Well we shall see.

It is apparently down to a combination of Atlantic fronts and El Ninho.

Funnily I never seem to think EL Ninho has that much effect here - well it seems sometimes it can.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Matt,

Your average low isn't in the 20's is it?  I think you're still a bonified zone 10 for what it's worth.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

First time I 've been happy to see a Santa Ana.  By 0400 we had dropped to 27F, winds kicked up and temps  rose to 44F by 0530.

What a week, Record highs, record lows, and now Santa Ana's-where's the hose, got to water.

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

(Greg in Lake Forest, CA @ Jan. 15 2007,05:56)

First time I 've been happy to see a Santa Ana.  By 0400 we had dropped to 27F, winds kicked up and temps  rose to 44F by 0530.

What a week, Record highs, record lows, and now Santa Ana's-where's the hose, got to water.

Me too!  Hit 27F again last night, but up to 37F at 7AM!

Just amended my profile......if this happens next year, I'm punching the #9 key...

in Riverside I bottomed out at 30.. a light touch of frost on the grass, but really not much. Amazing how things change ... a year ago I would have thought of 30 as cold... today it's a sigh of relief!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

(BS @ Man about Palms,Jan. 15 2007,06:58)

(Greg in Lake Forest @ CA,Jan. 15 2007,05:56)

Me too!  Hit 27F again last night, but up to 37F at 7AM!

Interesting morning, and fortunate.  At 0400 we were at 27F and still dropping, probably would have gone as low as yesterday, 25-26F. Breeze picked up at 0415, from 0415 to 0425 temps rose 8 degrees, within 90 minutes temps had rose a full 17 degrees to 44F.  

Can I get an amen!

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

My heart goes out to you all!  I've been talking daily to an old friend in Woodland Hills and can't believe the weather swings you're going through.  

Ours in the Seattle area can't even be described as a swing.  The temps went down about a week ago with almost every night in the teens and the days not going above freezing.  Most of what I'm worried about won't show death for a few months.  We got a few inches of snow cover but it came after nights of 15'F.

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

I bottomed out at 33 last night. I showed 28 the night before in my backyard.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 15 2007,05:04)

Matt,

Your average low isn't in the 20's is it?  I think you're still a bonified zone 10 for what it's worth.

Ray

Ray, no my average lows are low 30's at the coldest.  I hit 24.1F this morning....very unusual.  Grass was crispy but no real frost to speak of because of very dry conditions.  The inside of my greenhouse walls were ice.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Jan. 15 2007,11:03)

The inside of my greenhouse walls were ice.

I pulled that off at only 27F yesterday morning.  You bums in SD need 24F for greenhouse ice??

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(elHoagie @ Jan. 15 2007,14:20)

(MattyB @ Jan. 15 2007,11:03)

The inside of my greenhouse walls were ice.

I pulled that off at only 27F yesterday morning.  You bums in SD need 24F for greenhouse ice??

In FL we can make ice in the middle 30's!

You guys have a ways to go to more easily kill your plants.......LOL.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I took a depressing walk in my garden after work today which this time last week was flourishing and now looks as if somebody air dropped roundup over everything :angry: . I had frost again last night and it looks like I will again tonight. The list of palms with moderate to severe damage is too long to list so I'll just list some of the cold hardy surprises that came through unscathed. Kentiopsis oliviformis, Cyphophoenix Elegans, Dypsis Albofarinosa, Dypsis Carlsmithii, uhh...Thats it :( . Good luck to everyone, Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

First, Amen to Greg!

Next, Steve in SD, at least SOME of your handiwork appeared OK!  I was very busy at work fixing heaters today, but did get to sneak by the Cocos at your work. Looks like it fared pretty well!  :D

I can't believe you guys are having such a tough time at the moment.  As you can see from the image below, England is currently very lucky to be so mild, with most of the surrounding areas much colder, but our temperatures are due to plummit from Sunday onwards.

post-39-1168929009_thumb.jpg

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Oh what a gale we had ; 10 guys dead many injured and massive ramage caused by winds of up to 100mph.

I have been very fortunate here with no damage to the house or garden.

Phew.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Glad you are OK