IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Using Roundup Around Palms

_Keith

I ran across these articles on another forum and found them quite interesting, and somewhat contrary to my commonly held beliefs about Roundup. With palms the second article relating to manganese is particularly interesting.

See direct files posted below.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I tried to access your links but I'd have to be a member to do so. So I joined, and then when I again tried to access your links I strangely got into trouble and my membership was deleted... :blink:

I tried to access your links but I'd have to be a member to do so. So I joined, and then when I again tried to access your links I strangely got into trouble and my membership was deleted... :blink:

Sorry, I did not realize the links would go back to the other forum. They validate each membership over there, so it will take a day or two. I'll if I can find direct links and repost

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I can open it either... But what I understand about round up is that it must be absorbed by the leaves in order to kill the weed. I've always been scared to use it around my palms so I'd really like to know what this article says....maybe you can give us the gist of it...

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I've been cautious too Steve. I've used it once and it worked but the thing is, is you still have to pull the weeds out whe they die so I dont really see the point. I get less weeds now that I switched to drip. If you get any round-up on the leaves you can spray it off when water and it should be fine. Apply it when there is no wind as well.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

• Upvote 1

Jastin. I have a dwarf Bermuda lawn that gets runners into my beds. It's driving me nuts. As soon as I pull it all. A week later it's every where again. It must die!!! What kinda weeds did it kill for you?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Round up, nasty stuff. And bsad for the environement I guess. Well Monsanto use it a lot in their soja crops...

Alexander

Gimme glyph any day over the real herbicides like tricoflyr, and others

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What I thought was interesting was not related to the safety of the product, but the nutrient tie up issues, particularly the manganese.

Gimme glyph any day over the real herbicides like tricoflyr, and others

I'm with you Davo.......I use the stuff a lot around here.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I use round up at 1oz/gallon on hardened off revoultas and zamia furfuracea, z intergifolia, z loddegesia all the time no issues

just keep it away from Phoenix palms they die quickly

anybody using 2-4 D

I have used Round-up and Inspectracide’s type of “round-up” for years with on troubles. With that being said, I’m very careful to not get it on the roots of the palms, and I ALWAYS have mulch around the trees. For what it’s worth…..

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

I have been using round-up for 15 years and will continue to use it until i'm dead. The whole avocado industry and citrus industry uses it with no problems. I would be carefull in iterpretating these articles as roundup over time will kill or even damage your plants, that is un-likely. Usually in experiments like these they use high concentrations to force a result, or not. It's like giving a mouse a thousand times the dose of carrot juice until he turns orange and dies of cancer, then extrapolating that into an observation that betacarotene causes cancer. Science does this all the time and we end up losing good products. I can't even re-call how often products were pulled from the market and demonized, only years later found to be perfectly safe and beneficial. The picture they include in the article showing grass before and one year later is also silly. Grass is not a palm tree and I bet they had to flood the soil with round up to even get that result. Grass to a palm tree is the mouse to human analogy, I don't buy it.

Anyway, give me round-up any day of the week.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I use round-up all the time with great results. I don't know how I could manage the weeds otherwise. Heavy mulch I guess, but that's just too much mulch on my property. Someone mentioned that it might harm those surface roots on Cycads. Anyone have any experience spraying around the base of cycads on those roots?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I use round-up all the time with great results. I don't know how I could manage the weeds otherwise. Heavy mulch I guess, but that's just too much mulch on my property. Someone mentioned that it might harm those surface roots on Cycads. Anyone have any experience spraying around the base of cycads on those roots?

matt, how close do you get to your palms with it??? im still a bit freaked to use it...but the bermuda is taking over and i cant seem to stop it.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I would recommend that you guys google "Monsanto"

read about the company - learn what you can about it.

then post back on this thread your feelings about what you have learned.

also learn about what are known as "Food-Disparagement Laws"

once again google and learn

then come back to this thread with your options (as long as you are not in a state where making any such comment is illegal

I would not want anyone on the palm forum to get in legal trouble.

here is a little head start for you:

http://cspinet.org/foodspeak/laws/existlaw.htm

Edited by trioderob

matt, how close do you get to your palms with it??? im still a bit freaked to use it...but the bermuda is taking over and i cant seem to stop it.

I have Bermuda here as well as others and it takes care of it Steve. You really have to keep on top of it though! After about 4-5 apps I got it under control and now its not that bad. Like I said, when I switched to drip it helped as well. I wont go within 3 inches of the trunk of anything, i'll just pull those and everything else is fine. If its in your beds and its not that much trouble hit it with some round up when there is no wind, spray it as close to the weeds as poss and them cover it with mulch, then apply it when you see the few that will pop up.

Matt, I've sprayed it around my cycads and even got a few sprays on the lower leaves and was freaked cause I didn't spray it off, I haven't noticed any visual effect on anything. I should try to spray some on my frends King seedlings that he gave me to see what happens.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I get right up next to the palms if needed. I have no reservations about getting it on woody trunk or getting a little overspray on a leaf here or there on a larger plant. Of course if you spray down 75% of the leaf surface of a seedling it's probably going to kill or stunt it, but if you're using the recommended dilution rate, a little here or there on a leaf doesn't do anything in my experience. I just use the regular round-up or a generic brand, which is 40 something percent glyphosate, not any of that super duper fast acting stuff with other things added to it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

There is a movie you can get on netflix about Monsanto, company screwed over some farmers by intentionally spreading their genetic engineered seed in the farmers fields, then claimed a patent, just insane.

Gary

I would recommend that you guys google "Monsanto"

read about the company - learn what you can about it.

then post back on this thread your feelings about what you have learned.

also learn about what are known as "Food-Disparagement Laws"

once again google and learn

then come back to this thread with your options (as long as you are not in a state where making any such comment is illegal

I would not want anyone on the palm forum to get in legal trouble.

here is a little head start for you:

http://cspinet.org/foodspeak/laws/existlaw.htm

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Not sure why my first post was deleted. My intent was not to start an emotional debate but to just balance some concerns about safety. If a product has unpredictable consequences such as manganese lockout and it is ok to discuss this then why is it not ok to inform others of other unpredictable results such as birth defects? I know we are supposed to remain focused on palms on this board but this inevitably reminds me of a John Muir quote: "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." I left my previous links untitled as to not promote a debate but too instead let the readers' curiosity, common sense, and caution explore this information and decide for themselves. If someone was threatened by legal action then DOG help us all as we are in bigger trouble than we realize. Here is the link again: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/24/roundup-scientists-birth-defects_n_883578.html Let the enemies of free speech sue the Huffington Post. Picking some weeds by hand and adding some mulch or living groundcover is not as much work as we make it out to be. Good exercise too. At least you get to decide for yourself. Please be cautious.

Strange or creepy? My "add reply" part of my console no longer has the "insert link" icon or any others. Also the option box on the upper right user tab is now permanently stuck open. And my first attempt at this reply disappeared without posting. Parasites or worse?

For killing bermuda grass Fusilade is great but I haven't used it over any palms just junipers and other dicots

I use 2 ounces per gallon instead of the 6 ounces recomended by the manufacture. It kills all the stuff I need it to without harming palms and cycads.

2 ounces per gallon wont kill some older hardened up weeds. Spray when the weeds are still young.

Randy

test

I use the 54% stuff that's guaranteed to kill asphalt all the time around palms at work...no harm, no foul. What I wouldn't use it near is any palm with green trunks such as Chamaedoreas.

Well I never use this roundup stuff. Always do the weeding by hand, still the best way. Well you should not be affraid to get some dirty hands anyway...

And in how far that round up will not cause damage to the environement! Or your plants! Its nasty stuff!

Alexander

EPA estimates 2007 indicate usage of glyphosate (primary ingredient in RoundUp) in the USA in excess of 200,000,000 pounds. Some toxicology studies of glyphosate and its metabolites show enhanced risk to aquatic organisms, as well as persistence of a year or more in some water/soil interfaces and forest soil upper zones. Some studies have shown a correlation between glyphosate and growth deformities in animal species (but not in humans). RoundUp is not authorized for use in aquatic settings. Runoff may rapidly carry glyphosate and other chemicals into aquatic environments.

Monsanto and others have developed genetically modified crop cultivars that are effectively immune to glyphosate (at least 90% of commercial soybeans are genetically modified). As is typical with pesticides, many commercially important weed species have become resistant to the overuse of glyphosate, and more toxic herbicides must now be used in an attempt to control them.

When we purchased our home, there was no useful vegetation anywhere in the yard, neither grass nor woody plants. Just a field of exotic, opportunistic weeds. I planted many native (and some cool exotic) tree, shrub, and groundcover species, which outcompeted the smaller weeds underneath. I kept the weeds short, and made certain they did not flower or seed. Dandelions initially covered more than 50% of one area of my yard; within 2-3 years of cutting, deheading, and occasionally pulling, the percent coverage had decreased to under 3%, and now there are no dandelions and almost no other weeds. No herbicides, no runoff, no danger...except to my shoe from my weed eater. Now, no weeds. And they don't regrow every time the RoundUp decays. A little work, a lot of result.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88