IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Impending Big SoCal Freeze

tropicalb

Okay...so featured below is what i did today to combat the impending inclement (to say the least!) weather...took all the stuff that wasn't very well protected medium-hard-to-find-not-very-cold-hardy-palms and put them in the coldframe. Took all the palms and cycads that were in the coldframe and did THIS (Someone please tell my wife I'm NOT crazy...here is my living room tonight):

room1.jpg

another view of the same room:

room2.jpg

still one more view (wanna have some fun? how many species of palms and cycads can you identify?)

room3.jpg

I don't see anything wrong. Looks great to me.  :D

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

In hindsight, maybe you shoulda waited til spring to buy all that Kevin Weaver stuff...looks like my place, lil blue tags everywhere  :;):

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

I'm sitting here in Vista at 40 degrees looking at what tropicalb is doing with his palms and thinking I should do that. I just covered a small Bismarckia

with at sheet in the yard and I swear I heard “thanks mister it's really cold out here". Hmm or maybe it was the beer talking. :;):

Plant a palm....

Well, I took all the normal precautions... covered everything in the ground, made sure all pots are in my greenhouse..irrigated where needed...ran my pool pump, waterfall, ect, ect, ect....

then brought some heavy metal garbage cans home from work, had a half cord of wood delivered and I've been  burning "pooch pots" all over my yard.

post-376-1168687936_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

I'm not going down without a fight.

post-376-1168688025_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Hope nobody calls the FD on me.  :P

post-376-1168688105_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

now thats 1 way to do it!!!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

(ghar41 @ Jan. 13 2007,03:35)

Hope nobody calls the FD on me.  :P

Don't worry about it Glenn,

The governator has declared a state of emergency, so I doubt they will be enforcing no-burn day/permit issues (as long as you don't burn something down).  The farmers down here are burning 1 square yard containers of peach pits in the fields.

I tried using the Weber BBQ for supplimental heat and it only added maybe .5 degrees.  No room for a major fire near my A. cunninghamiana.  I think it will be a gonner after this freeze.  It took the December freezes fine, with burning mostly on exposed fronds, but crown temps have gotten down below 24F this morning and yesterday.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Brought all my pots inside.... didn't have that many though, most stuff is in the ground. The tikis are annoyed!

inside.jpg

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Burt- and El Hoagie on the other thread,

My compliments!!! I worked from 8AM till 9PM and had little energy left to move 150+ pots...So, for the first time I threw out some sheets.

No Frost, stopped just over 34F  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Took everything in pots to the garage, for the fourth time this winter. Don't have 150 like Bill but enough to make me curse this horrible winter we are having. I did not wrap anything though. I got down to 34 at 1:30 and at six this morning was at 35.Not bad but not good no frost at least. Hope this means we are going to have agreat spring.

Shon

San Marcos CA

Reports coming in & NWS data indicate that the first really cold night wasn't as serious as first anticipated.  :D

Reports of frost in coastal areas [including several cities  in the Bay Area] have been minimal though I believe Santa Barbara/San Ynez valley recorded sub-freezing temps.  Unfortunately the agricultural business hasn't been so lucky w/ significance citrus [esp lemons] loss along with avocado/strawberries/lettuce/artichokes/etc.  Sacramento/San Joaquin/Sonoma/Salinas valleys had widespread readings in the 20's. Ouch  :(  Not good for palms either.

Tonight will be the decider if this arctic outbreak stings California again. Wind & rising subsidence would save us.  But wind is less likely tonight so frost could occur right down to the beach  :o

One more night  :(  

Minimum : 39F Current [0900AM] :  46F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I'm going to heat the pool all day, hoping to get it up to around 60f to help the surrounding palms... then set the jacuzzi at 80 and run it all night. Not sure howmuch it'll help...

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

(doubravsky @ Jan. 13 2007,12:06)

I'm going to heat the pool all day, hoping to get it up to around 60f to help the surrounding palms... then set the jacuzzi at 80 and run it all night. Not sure howmuch it'll help...

Dave

Did you notice how the farmers turned on the sprinklers all night with thick ice on orange/avocado leaves.  70% of the fruit has yet to be picked  & may be a total loss  :o  

Citrus trees can handle these temps much better than palms.

Good luck tonight cause the worst is about to happen : lighter winds  :(  Lower minimums for longer period of time. This cold spell will leave an imprint on our gardens.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I'm getting stressed just reading all the posts. Best of luck tonight everyone.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

It's mid 40's with strong winds at the moment in riverside (5:00 pm). I'm hoping the winds stick around.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland