IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter 2011 in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Awww yeahhhh, first thunderstorm of the spring/summer in SE QLD!!! Bring it. Autumn's planting issuing a sigh of relief after a long dry cold winter thanks to last week's rain and tonights!!!

Bloody big storm today, started at 4pm just when I had finished digging to plant some more stuff. Came over very quickly and stayed around 3.5 hours. Nasty lightning and thunder but got 20 mm of rain in the first hour and its still pouring down, so at least the ground will be rehydrated. Could do without the light show and sounds effects however, I hate them.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Bloody big storm today, started at 4pm just when I had finished digging to plant some more stuff. Came over very quickly and stayed around 3.5 hours. Nasty lightning and thunder but got 20 mm of rain in the first hour and its still pouring down, so at least the ground will be rehydrated. Could do without the light show and sounds effects however, I hate them.

Peachy

I read about the big storm you had yesterday. Very good. That'll kick the season off nicely.

Well we're almost Spring here now. In the morning as the sun comes up all the birds are loudly going nuts. Soon at the end of September the Willy Wagtails will sing all night. They have this funny repetitive song that they sound like they're singing in there sleep, and they'll be the only ones singing. All this species sings the same song and even at 2am you'll here them for miles around singing it. It's like they have insomnia or something. If you're a light sleeper and they decide to stay in your garden the song can drive you crazy. I like it though.

We're in the 20's mainly now and the nights are still cool needing a heater, but it's getting used slightly less now. Woke up to a wet garden this morning so we got some nice rain overnight. Sunny day today and 22C.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Ari, you can sure feel the change. Noonamah AWS went from minimum this morning of 17.4C to maximum of 37.2c. Middle Point went from 17.2C to 37.3C. Minimum my place was 18.0C but only got up to 36.8C. Looks like temps are back up to about normal for this time of year. And at the chasers site they're getting ready to start using the "B" word.

I hope so, Zig. As much as I love the dry season.... enough is enough, now it is time for some rain & storm!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Plenty of rain around here lately, my new plantings are loving it. My Sealing Wax is even sending out a new spear.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

23C and thunderstorms tomorrow the start of spring.

Goodbye winter.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The storm the other night dumped nearly 30mm of rain, so the garden has had its first good drink in about 3 months. Instead of trying to dig holes in brick, I now have black gooey chewie to contend with. Cold last night, went down to 8, so old pugface was trying to wriggle underneath me for warmth until I got up and put the second quilt on the bed. Daytimes are averaging between 24 and 26 so this winter that had no end, has finally ended. Time to bury the dead and plant the living and start the whole cycle once more.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

17C and small hail in thunderstorms tomorrow. :(