• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter 2011 in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

OK, it is officially winter here, and it will be a northern summer in a couple of weeks I guess?

The weather has been nice here, with some rainy days, some sunny, and warmish nights and warm days...I certainly can't complain. I hope this continues for another 8-10 weeks... :rolleyes:

How is everyone's season shaping up?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I was sure we were at single digit last night. It was 10.5deg at Noonamah & 7.9deg at Middle Point. My guess that we would've been somewhere in between. It was cold, even Scott was putting a jacket on...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Sunny winters day here today with blue skies, just under 20C. Going down to 6C tonight and 18C tomorrow. No more rain for a few days. After the flooding we got yesterday it was quite a contrast. All the fields and paddocks have turned deep green and there is standing water in most of them. The coconut has grown about 10cm or more in the last week. Frogs are still going in the garden. One is just outside our bedroom window and goes "Moooooooooorrrrrrrr" all night and a good part of the day. Frangipani still has new buds on it but I expect it will drop them soon. My 4 headed D decipiens has gone very red in it's new spears with the cooler weather.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Rainy season has started here. Still we get some sunshine in the mornings, luckily a sunny day now and then, but not ready for steady rain during Sept, Oct, Nov, and sometimes part of Dec.

Patricia

3.3C this morning. Coldest morning since last winter. Luckily it's sunny and 19C basically for all week.

It's a public holiday here today. Will pot up/fertilise and clean up my Rhopalostylis and Hedyscepe today. They should be kicking into gear now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

How's Troy and the Tassie folk travelling this week ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Apparently next week is predicted to be BLOODY freezing... 5 deg inland!!!! Yikes!!!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Apparently next week is predicted to be BLOODY freezing... 5 deg inland!!!! Yikes!!!!!

Yikes alright. That's way too cold for the tropics at 12S approx. What are they predicting on the coast?

Best regards

Tyrone

12 deg apparently... Some actually say that it might rain as well.... cold & wet, how would you be???

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

12 deg apparently... Some actually say that it might rain as well.... cold & wet, how would you be???

12C min and rain in Darwin!!!!. I bet that's never happened before.

Stay warm.

Best regards

Tyrone

So what happened this morning Ari?

Tyrone

no 5 deg yet... apparently not till this weekend. Hopefully never.... we shall see.....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here's the forecast for the next week. Much better than this time last year that's for sure.

Friday Sunny. Min 7 Max 20Saturday Sunny. Min 7 Max 20Sunday Cloudy periods. Min 8 Max 19Monday Sunny. Min 9 Max 23Tuesday Late showers. Min 9 Max 22Wednesday Showers. Min 13 Max 19

Best regards

Tyrone

Boy it's cold in Brissie at the moment. 11am and 12C. blink.gif Yikes.

We just had our coolest day since 1916...brrr! Our maximum was 15.5 ish at midnight and it cooled down after that to be only 13-14C for most of the day. Too cold for this little black duck...:(

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

We just had our coolest day since 1916...brrr! Our maximum was 15.5 ish at midnight and it cooled down after that to be only 13-14C for most of the day. Too cold for this little black duck...:(

That's cold for Brisbane. At least it's a once in a century thing which means that you've got another century of good weather coming your way. :)

Looking forward to this East Coast Low arriving, predictions of maybe 2inches of rain a day for 4 days,lets wait and see.But this is too cold too early, five or six years ago we had floods here in June.

Last couple of days the mins have been nice and warm for June. 10-12C. Going for 20C today, maybe 21C tomorrow then rain from Tuesday on. Some models are predicting 50-75mm of rain by the end of the week which we desperately need. Had some beautiful sunny weather this week. The coconut is averaging about 1cm of growth a night. I think it's now adapted to the cooler weather over the past 3 years. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Raining very steadily here and will get heavier as the day goes on,only had 53mm over past 36 hours but just south of here(EvansHead) (not far from Matt.. Ntheastpalms) has had falls of 240mm in last 36hrs.The arrival of an East Coast low will bring very large falls to much of NSW today and tomorrow mainly on the Mid Nth Coast which is on a Flood Alert. our gardens are loving this,sure beats clear cold nights.

That sounds great Peter.

Our low system hasn't brought any rain yet. Cloud has just moved in off the Indian Ocean. I don't expect any rain totals like you're expecting though. 30mm most likely, probably tomorrow and bits and pieces after that. Going into a westerly stream which also stops any nights from falling below 10C for the next week. Great Chambeyronia lepidota weather. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Not bad forecast for winter here.

Tuesday Windy, rain periods 12C-16C (can live with that in June)

Wed Few Showers Storm risk 11C-19C

Thu Shower or two 10-19C

Fri Shower or two 10-19C

Sat Shower or two 10-20C

Sun Shower or two 11-20C

Mon Shower or two 11-20C

No real cold on the horizon. Much better than last year. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Very wet here, far too wet for winter.

150mm of rain in the last 36 hrs & lots more to come. Two of the main tributaries for the clarence river are begining to rise & I must say that I am getting a little concerned as it is still pouring here at 21:00 & I'm hoping that no more rain falls in the already soaked catchments , so we will see what the next day or two brings.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

It's been ideal here Matt and Pete, rainfall has only been slight, days with ample sunshine, for a winters day that is. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Another 135mm of rain to 6am this morning & it is still raining heavily in the southern area's of the Clarence river catchment. I think we will be lucky not to get a flood :( .

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Another 135mm of rain to 6am this morning & it is still raining heavily in the southern area's of the Clarence river catchment. I think we will be lucky not to get a flood :( .

Certainly good falls at yours Matt, only 48mm in the gauge here. I see Yamba has had 348mm in the past few days. Looking at a fantastic week ahead with an average of 10c at night and 20c day. Stunning for winter weather

Geez.... according to BOM website, it was 8 deg this morning!!!! 8 deg!!!! at 12 deg south!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Geez.... according to BOM website, it was 8 deg this morning!!!! 8 deg!!!! at 12 deg south!!!

That temp certainly wouldnt be seen very often at all in Darwin Ari, wow, maybe with all the volcanoes going off we have tilted and you have moved south,that means weve headed north,this is soundn good.. :D

That's cold. Yesterday Kulumburu went down to a record 4.7C. The south is having higher mins than the north. Weird.

Only got 7.8mm of rain overnight. Better than nothing but still dismal. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

It's 2pm, windy, drizzling and 12.7C!!!!!. We peaked at 14C after a min around 11C. It was 17.5C at midnight and has sort of dropped in temp from there. :(

Kind of reminds me of a summers day in Edinburgh, but without the benefits of a warm pub and a pint on the cobblestoned Royal Mile.

Best regards

Tyrone

The southern hemisphere equatorial summer season is just starting to kick in here. There has been less rain and the day time highs are pushing 37 C or so. In southern Brazil there have been some freezes already but no snow yet.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Well even though we had a cold spell earlier in the week it just doesn't feel like winter except for the short days. I have Heliconias still in flower, frangipanis opening flowers, and things are still opening spears everywhere. The coconut is growing at 10cm per day. My sisters Ixora is coming into flower in winter.

Today was sunny after overnight rain and in the sun it was quite warm. We got to 20C today and for the next week it will be 20,21C with mins from 8-13C but mostly double digits with rain and clouds and sun. I think those high ocean temps are having a big effect on our winter this year. I'm not complaining.

Best regards

Tyrone

21,22C for the next week and mins from 7-11C. It was 21C today with a low around 12.6C and with some rain and sun and very high humidity. It started raining then almost a fog set in. It looked misty as it rained. I wonder if this ash cloud will bring us more rain or mineral rich rain.

Best regards

Tyrone

I have enough of this extreme weather.... the wettest wet and then the coldest dry.... What's the point???? If this continues, I won't have any plants left!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Have you lost much Ari?. What sort of things are you having trouble with? I'm sorry to hear it.

Best regards

Tyrone

We are having a very warm winter so far. May was a record (2.3c above average following a warm April) and June is sure to be something similar. We are not forecast to go below 10c this week with maximums in the high teens. No doubt winter will come and it may do more damage than usual as plants haven't properly hardened off.

Had a min of 15C lastnight and this week is mainly 21,22C. unsure.gif

Have you lost much Ari?. What sort of things are you having trouble with? I'm sorry to hear it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Not too much Tyrone, just very very special stuff.... that is hard to replace. Oh well... can't do anything now anyway... Start to warm up this week, which is good!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"