IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Linking problem to PT through google

Kumar

This is a peculiar annoyance that keeps happeneing to me for the last two weeks. I always go to Google, search for 'Palmtalk' and therafter click on the first link that turns up in the result - usually to the PT Forum. On doing so I get directed to this - http://url123.info/e875cd64, which is some literature on Windows 7. Now the funny part, if I go back to the seach results on Google and retry the same link, it works fine.

This has happened on three different PCs running different OS' so it can't be a PC specific problem. I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

This is a peculiar annoyance that keeps happeneing to me for the last two weeks. I always go to Google, search for 'Palmtalk' and therafter click on the first link that turns up in the result - usually to the PT Forum. On doing so I get directed to this - http://url123.info/e875cd64, which is some literature on Windows 7. Now the funny part, if I go back to the seach results on Google and retry the same link, it works fine.

This has happened on three different PCs running different OS' so it can't be a PC specific problem. I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience.

I've had this problem on three different computers too. I first I thought it was my girlfriends computer because it only happened when using hers. Then it happened at work and then at home.

I've had this problem on three different computers too. I first I thought it was my girlfriends computer because it only happened when using hers. Then it happened at work and then at home.

We have no control over Google, or what sites Google links are redirected to. I believe these errors are caused by hackers messing with Google, and getting their links to redirect where they want them to. I remember checking this out before, and learning there is nothing that PalmTalk is doing, or can do, to have Google fix the problem. I would assume they will eventually discover the hack.

Why don't you just make PalmTalk your Home Page and be done with it? Or at least your #1 favorite. :)

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

• 5 weeks later...

Now it's worse - I just realised that I'm not able to access PT on my telephone anymore. All these days I was refreshing a link from history and it worked but ever since this (mis-linking) problem, the mobile version loads a blank page and stalls.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Now it's worse - I just realised that I'm not able to access PT on my telephone anymore. All these days I was refreshing a link from history and it worked but ever since this (mis-linking) problem, the mobile version loads a blank page and stalls.

Nobody else seems to have this problem. Why don't you just bookmark or make www.palmtalk.org a favorite? Forget Google, forget History, just make a direct link that can't be interfered with. And don't forget to clear you cache when you experience problems such as these, or you will just be sent right back to your problem link.

palmtalk is my homepage , easy as .. just click the

'view new content' and away we go ...

to easy :rolleyes:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I too have had this issue as of recently, but only when using the Google Chrome web browser. It only happens once, then on the next attempt, it goes right through to PalmTalk.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Kumar it was doing it to me too for a few weeks but now it seems to have cleared up. At least I know it wasn't just a local problem.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Had the same issue when searching google for a palm specific search that directed to Palmtalk. It would take you too that Windows 7 page. You just go back and then Palmtalk comes up. I'm running a Mac but as others have mentioned it's nothing to do with the computer used.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Had the same issue when searching google for a palm specific search that directed to Palmtalk. It would take you too that Windows 7 page. You just go back and then Palmtalk comes up. I'm running a Mac but as others have mentioned it's nothing to do with the computer used.

Best regards

Tyrone

Not entirely true Tyrone. Depending on what browser you use, and how you have it configured, it will sometimes store an incorrect link/site and continue to direct you there, and even display outdated information. This is just one of the reasons for periodically clearing your cache. But from what I understand, very few of you do it anywhere close to a regular schedule.

OOOOOOH I do so too

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I suspect this issue is some sort of search database corruption at Google, and not related to local computers at all. Thankfully, the site it sends you to is not a malware site, and it is remedied with an additional click or two.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Dean, I have PT stored as a favourite on my PC - so that is all fine. The trouble is while using my phone to access the mobile site. I suspect the problem begam when this linking error surfaced, but it never hit me because i used to load PT on my phone by clicking on the history. Now what happened was that I did not login using tthe phone for a couple of weeks and the history was wiped out and now I find that clicking on PT from google gets me to a blank page (albeit one with the PT icon at the top bar).

Kumar

Bombay, India

Calcutta, India

Dean, I have PT stored as a favourite on my PC - so that is all fine. The trouble is while using my phone to access the mobile site. I suspect the problem begam when this linking error surfaced, but it never hit me because i used to load PT on my phone by clicking on the history. Now what happened was that I did not login using tthe phone for a couple of weeks and the history was wiped out and now I find that clicking on PT from google gets me to a blank page (albeit one with the PT icon at the top bar).

As Keith said, a similar thing happened last year and my research indicated some kind of vulnerability related to link hijacking - something to do with Google routing or DNS hijacking. I can assure you that nothing to do with PalmTalk configuration or settings has changed in the last 7 days. There was a change made to a chat server that is linked to PalmTalk, but I can't see how that could be connected. Try clearing your cache. I'm not sure how that works on your phone. And then try typing in and saving the complete address, see if that helps.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php

Thanks, I tried what you suggested but it did not work. But here is something that did - going to www.palmtalk.org seems to work - it is the only palmtalk page that opens when i type in the link. But from then on, I can click and navigate without fuss. Funny thing is that typing in those very same links manually draws a blank.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Calcutta, India

For anyone interested, this is what was discovered from the Forum software's support dept.

"There was a shell.php script in the /cache directory. That's likely how they got in to do it."

The correction has been made, so the issue should be resolved. If not, let us know.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone cares, it is still an issue. And nobody has yet provided a solution that seems to work. But I continue to look for a cure when I get some spare time here and there.