IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Will We Have Another Cool Summer in California?

happ

Still depressingly windy, chilly and gray here! And the thing is that only a couple of hundreds km south they get a bit summer!

Certainly living in the wrong place!!!

Well when I win the lotery its adios Holanda!

Alexander

Well Santa Barbara never shook itself completely of the fog. Here we are in August and it's just like June all over again. Sucks. I miss those Santa Barbara summers from my childhood when it would get into the 80s and 90s on a daily basis. This summer isn't quite as horrible as last summer. We have had some nice weeks, but nothing consistent.

Well you still gets all those palms and other exotics arround in that almost frostfree climate! Never to fear a long cold dismal winter must be a bless for sure!

Alexander

It's cooler than normal in Walnut Creek, but still very nice with highs in the 80's.....when it normally would be in the 90's. I hate to think about winter, but I've noticed the shorter days and the sun seems softer.

Dick

Same situation down here; mostly 80's when we should be see 90's but my air conditioning bill looks sweet. :D Models show significant warming this week and even more next week so today may hit 90F\ 32.2C for the first time in over a week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

We are also having a cool summer here in coastal portugal. Just 20km inland it is about 6-10ºc warmer in the summer. I have noticed that the palms grow their best here when it is warm like 20ºc and wet. I think the moisture factor is much more important than the heat factor. Most of my palms are also from oceania.

Cheers Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

We are also having a cool summer here in coastal portugal. Just 20km inland it is about 6-10ºc warmer in the summer. I have noticed that the palms grow their best here when it is warm like 20ºc and wet. I think the moisture factor is much more important than the heat factor. Most of my palms are also from oceania.

Cheers Jason

Jason, I tend to agree with you and plan to poise this question on the main forum. I have watched my subtropical palms like veitchia languish or look marginally healthy, at best elsewhere in Los Angeles. Warmth without wet, as you put it, must be a determining factor for some palm species.

And this summer has been lukewarm at best. During heat waves, the temps just seem to rise to normal levels inland and not even normal readings closer to the coast. It was 91F\ 32.7C [just 2 degrees F above normal] today; only 16 days of 90F or above all summer.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It's been one of the coolest summer I can remember here in the PNW (Washington state). We have 10-12 days a year at 90F-100F, were still waiting for the first 90F day. :angry:

All this spring was 5-10 degrees below normal. Which has put my gingers flowers later than normal.

On the plus side this has been the best tomato season for me.

If the below normal temps on the West Coast continue into winter, then we are in for deep trouble. I harvested my first tomato this week, and normally I would have tomatoes the end of June.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Well there are more folk here with some 'Dutch climate' problem here it seems.

Alexander

Yep! We even got a few rain storms in yesterday, not much but it hasn't rain in two months so any little bit helps. Back to more summer sunshine rest of the week. :D

Today was the first really hot day all summer and the high humidity just made it all the more uncomfortable. More of the same for a few more days but next week should be very pleasant.

Hi: 104F\ 40C

Lo: 73F\ 22.7C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Well, the summer season is essentially over even though it is not at all unusual for September and October to be the hottest months of the year especially in coastal California. But a review of the data indicates that this past summer, was, indeed, cooler than normal. Not as cool as last year where many all-time records were broken but June 2011 was even cooler than last year's La Nina weather.

Here's the data from my location:

Average maximums:

June: 77F [normal: 82F]

July: 85F [normal: 88F]

August: 88F [normal: 89F]

Average minimums:

June: 59F [normal 62F]

July: 65F [normal 66F]

August: 65F [normal 67F]

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Here in Coastal S.D, it's been a really comfortable summer. Perhaps a bit cooler than normal, but there have been far fewer cloudy (all day) days than usual, especially in the early part of the summer when you'd expect it. So most of the "tropicals" (Roystonea, Veitchia) were growing well by mid June, which will make this a reasonably lengthy growing season, in all likelihood. Beats the heck out of last year.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

We are already starting to cool off some here, but this week summer has return with highs in the upper 80's to low 90's in PNW all this week. A real treat for us, nights going back up to low 60's.... :D:drool::D

Nothing but virga and dry thunderstorms over LA since last night. What moisture there is seems to be limited to San Diego and Orange counties [also inland a ways]. Humid and hot for a few more days.

Hi: 95F\ 35C

Lo: 68F\ 20C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

These warm, moist storms are my favorite kind of weather in San Diego, it feels almost tropical, complete with a "trade wind" ruffling the palm fronds outside my window all night. But the only thunder I heard was from the mock cannon battles on the bay from the tall ships festival all weekend.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

there is a stream of rain hundreds of miles long but super thin.

this line of rain is marching across my house lenghtwise

dropping rain hour after hour for the last 2 days.

go north or south a few miles and it has been bone dry

its insane !

Edited by trioderob

I don't ever remember this kind of Summer monsoonal weather, where it's raining off and on all day and night, for two days straight, and I'm a San Diego native. Maybe an afternoon thunderstorm every once in a while, but this has been a full on two day tropical extravaganza! Amazing! For some reason central San Diego and East County are just in the right spot.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Today was about as bad as it gets in coastal California. San Diego region had dew point readings above 70 degrees and heat index readings close to 110F\ 43.3C. But one thing we can count on in California is that when the temperatures rise the humidity lowers eventually. It was very uncomfortable in Los Angeles yesterday and all night and though today was even hotter the relative humidity was lower. That dry air should move into San Diego as well.

What's very interesting on the horizon is a cut-off low pressure system that the models retrograde into southern California this coming weekend that could actually produce widespread rainfall! :mrlooney: But, as we know, any rain this time of the year is generally a fluke and chances are slim about the storm this weekend.

Hi: 101F\ 38.3C

Lo: 75F\ 23.8C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Today was the hottest day of the year so far, if one uses the mean temp: 90F\ 32.2C between the high: 103F\ 39.4C & low: 78F\ 25.5C. On August 26 the maximum was 104F but the minimum was only 73F. The high

humidity\ dew points over the past several days are contributing to the warm nights. But overnight temps stay in the 80's routinely in the low desert as well as Texas & Florida so we really can't complain in coastal California. Plus the hotter it gets the lower the humidity on the West Coast [actually the lower the humidity\ dew points the hotter the day].

What's interesting is that additional rainfall could occur this coming weekend as a low retrogrades out of Nevada and pulls up more subtropical moisture. Hopefully Los Angeles will get in on the precipitation this time! :mrlooney:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

• 3 weeks later...

Even though Summer has been cooler than normal, my weather for August and Sept. in my inland valley about 30 miles N/E of San Francisco has been about as perfect as one could ask for. Daytime temps. have ranged from the 80's to the 90's and night times lows around 60F. The last several days have been hot with highs near 100, but it's supposed to cool off some tomorrow. I love those evenings when you can sit outside and the temps. are still in the 70's.

Dick

Richard Douglas